• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 225th anniversary American Liberty coin

27 posts in this topic

I'm sure many of you have commented ats but I know not everyone here participates there. What are your thoughts? I'm not blown away but I do like the design. Congrats to the designer who is a fellow Utah resident. Linked is a nice article I found on my local news website. Sorry for the large pictures, not sure how to make them smaller.

Utah artist tapped for design as US Mint celebrates its 225th anniversary

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42854835

image_zpsuuzshz2l.jpeg

image_zpswtrhxdh0.jpeg

image_zpsz1xvtpst.jpeg

I get (I think) the reason for the anniversary date, and it is not important, but the date that Congress voted on the resolution that the mint be established was on 3 March, 1791.

The anniversary is of the coinage act of 1792 which congress passed on April 2 1792 and created the dollar as the standard unit of money.

I get (I think) the reason for the anniversary date, and it is not important, but the date that Congress voted on the resolution that the mint be established was on 3 March, 1791.

The anniversary is of the coinage act of 1792 which congress passed on April 2 1792 and created the dollar as the standard unit of money.

I am aware of that, of course, as I mentioned. But, since you bring it up, that is not the Act that established the Mint. Again, not a big deal, but it is not the 225th anniversary of the U.S. Mint.

I am aware of that, of course, as I mentioned. But, since you bring it up, that is not the Act that established the Mint. Again, not a big deal, but it is not the 225th anniversary of the U.S. Mint.

I figured you were aware of it, but you did say (I think) so I clarified just in case.

If the establishment by law of the Mint was 1791, then the entire subject design of this piece is fundamentally incorrect, and if there was to be a commemoration piece of the Act that established the coinage value system, it should at least depict Alexander Hamilton in some manner. It has nothing to do with Liberty, except in the economic sense. So, for the 2 reasons I have mentioned, I consider the design a fail and the purpose of the design a fail. Just my opinion, of course.

If the establishment by law of the Mint was 1791, then the entire subject design of this piece is fundamentally incorrect, and if there was to be a commemoration piece of the Act that established the coinage value system, it should at least depict Alexander Hamilton in some manner. It has nothing to do with Liberty, except in the economic sense. So, for the 2 reasons I have mentioned, I consider the design a fail and the purpose of the design a fail. Just my opinion, of course.

I think your date hang up is a tomato tomatoe. President Washington didn't act on congress' resolution until 1792. I think the lady liberty design is relevant, the act stated the obverse have an impression emblematic of liberty and the reverse to have a representation of an eagle. In my opinion I'm glad they didn't go with Hamilton or Jefferson.

I think your date hang up is a tomato tomatoe. President Washington didn't act on congress' resolution until 1792. I think the lady liberty design is relevant, the act stated the obverse have an impression emblematic of liberty and the reverse to have a representation of an eagle. In my opinion I'm glad they didn't go with Hamilton or Jefferson.

OK. (thumbs u

I don't get hangups, just opinions. (thumbs u

I believe the 1791 resolution was that a mint BE established, the 1792 act did the actual establishment. I'd have to check the actual language to be sure.

I believe the 1791 resolution was that a mint BE established, the 1792 act did the actual establishment. I'd have to check the actual language to be sure.

Yes, it is always a good idea to check, using a correct source. (thumbs u up

I didn't like it much last year when the CCAC recommended this design, but it sort of growing on me. I would certainly like to see a better commemorative specific to the mint, perhaps with an old press or some older images of the first mint. Anyone know if those are authorized for this year? Plus 225 years isn't much of an anniversary, particularly since they completely blew off the bicentennial in 1992.

What is with that headband of stars? That looks pretty ridiculous.

It's supposed to hearken back to the Statue of Freedom on top of the capital building, though that statue is also wearing a hat that appears to be made out of a turkey.

The stars were ridiculous 150 years ago on Longacre's patterns, and they are ridiculous today. The outsize things belong on a bottle of "New and Improved Flea Spray" not an artistically-designed coin.

The headband looks goofy, like something to be worn at an elementary school play by whomever was best able to cut out giant stars with a rusty pair of left-handed scissors. You can almost see where the teacher stapled the ends of the construction paper band together.

The stars were ridiculous 150 years ago on Longacre's patterns, and they are ridiculous today. The outsize things belong on a bottle of "New and Improved Flea Spray" not an artistically-designed coin.

The headband looks goofy, like something to be worn at an elementary school play by whomever was best able to cut out giant stars with a rusty pair of left-handed scissors. You can almost see where the teacher stapled the ends of the construction paper band together.

I agree . (thumbs u

Checked the March 3 1791 action on the establishment of the Mint and it is just a resolution that a mint be established.

"That a mint shall be established, under such regulations as shall be directed by law"

Source LOC A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774 - 1875

Annals of Congress, House of Representatives, 1st Congress, 3rd Session Page 2027

That's the whole thing. The 1792 Act did the actual establishing of the mint and set forth the regulations etc.

I think that both views, 1791 and 1792, are correct. It just depends

on the viewpoint. It is worth noting, however, that the 19th century

mint directors considered the Mint as having originated in 1791 and

kept a framed copy of that resolution hanging on the wall of the

director’s office.