• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins in Movies - Elvis Presley in Easy Come, Easy Go (1967)

4 posts in this topic

While waiting to see the Netflix film "Coin Heist" that everyone is raving about and watching the rain fall, and it being Elvis' birthday, I had to watch one of his films.

The 1967 Paramount Pictures film "Easy Come, Easy Go" features Elvis Presley as a former US Navy diver who discovers a sunken ship and attempts to retrieve the contents.

Along the way he meets a pretty go-go dancer and yoga student and a pair of rival treasure hunters. The film story location is not made specific but is most likely Southern California.

The treasure consists of a traditional treasure chest supposedly filled with Argentine silver "pieces of eight" or eight reales coins which are dollar-sized silver coins made by the Spanish colonies and their independent successors.

Some large prop coins are used for the coins in the film.

post_movie_easycomeeasygo_01.jpg

Closeups of the underwater prop coin

The prop coin appears to be a large size imitation of an ancient Greek silver tetradrachm with the profile of the nymph Arethusa.

A final scene is set in a 1960's coin store where Elvis and his companions try to sell the coins.

post_movie_easycomeeasygo_02.jpg

Coin dealer's store

The dealer's store is filled with coin collecting supplies of the 1960's including blue Whitman albums.

The dealer tells Elvis and his friends that the coins are copper not silver.

post_movie_easycomeeasygo_03.jpg

Elvis and Jo the go-go dancer are unhappy or "all shook up"

Elvis' group does get some cash and they give it to a hippie commune.

:)

We know what extended submersion in sea water does to silver coins. It does a whole lot worse to copper coins. Basically they would be pretty much unidentifiable lumps of corrosion. Something tell me they not only got "All shook up" they also got took.

Interesting post! Anything related to Netflix attracts me a lot. I watched shows by Andy Yeatman on Netflix only and had such an amazing time with my family. He doesn’t work with Netflix anymore therefore, the new content isn’t that great. I would love to add more shows to my list.

Some others that come to mind are:

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins - Paying the bounty hunter with the $20 gold piece that turns out be his entire fortune.

The Dark Knight - The face double obverse Peace dollar he has