• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Congrats on the sale RWB

16 posts in this topic

I am sure everyone is at the FUN show right now and I haven't been on here in quite a while do to other priorities in life but saw this on Yahoo as a headline. Congrats RWB on the sale and hope it exceeded your expectations.

link

The discovery was due entirely to years of research that went into the book "Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II" published in 2013. This allowed me to identify details unique to glass, although identification had to wait until I examined the piece.

As some know, I don't have much of a coin collection - mostly a few ordinary pieces purchased for research purposes. My involvement is almost entirely research and writing. Although I could have kept the 1942 glass piece to myself, I realized that it was better to have it in the hands of someone who could integrate it with other pattern and experimental pieces. We tend to look back at the WW-II era with nostalgia and a sense of longing for the unity of purpose common during the national emergency. Yet, this little glass "penny" is symbolic of the difficulties, long hours, hard work, and confusion that underlay the heroism of Americans and their international allies.

Maybe the new owner will have the resources to include this glass piece in a meaningful display of numismatic items from the WW-II period.

PS: I do not know anything about the new owner.

PPS: Yes, part of the proceeds will pay for printing of the 1936-42 Proof coin book.The rest will support research expenses.

Only winners in this transaction. Love when that happens. Well done Roger!

mark

My apologies if this info is somewhere and I missed it. Roger was the piece owned by a private collector prior to you acquiring it or was this just out in the wild and you had it graded? Very cool coin, congrats.

Nick

I was not sure what it would bring, but did not expect the final hammer of 60k. With this being the only sale of an intact glass piece - ever - I'm not sure anyone had a reliable estimate.

The discovery was due entirely to years of research that went into the book "Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II" published in 2013. This allowed me to identify details unique to glass, although identification had to wait until I examined the piece.

As some know, I don't have much of a coin collection - mostly a few ordinary pieces purchased for research purposes. My involvement is almost entirely research and writing. Although I could have kept the 1942 glass piece to myself, I realized that it was better to have it in the hands of someone who could integrate it with other pattern and experimental pieces. We tend to look back at the WW-II era with nostalgia and a sense of longing for the unity of purpose common during the national emergency. Yet, this little glass "penny" is symbolic of the difficulties, long hours, hard work, and confusion that underlay the heroism of Americans and their international allies.

Maybe the new owner will have the resources to include this glass piece in a meaningful display of numismatic items from the WW-II period.

PS: I do not know anything about the new owner.

PPS: Yes, part of the proceeds will pay for printing of the 1936-42 Proof coin book.The rest will support research expenses.

I wish there was a 'like' button for posts such as this. Well done on your sale!