• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this Double Eagle Liberty

16 posts in this topic

My budget is about $1400 (+/-25) for a MS63 Liberty Double Eagle. I want to acquire this for a type set, I am building. I feel a MS63 is a good grade I would settle for in terms of price and quality for a type 3 liberty double eagle.

I have an offer for $1345 for this coin below in pictures. Should I buy or pass this? Can I do better on a MS63 for about $1400 +/-25?

This coin obviously has some issues, but I would like one where liberty cheeks are not scratched much in this grade, which is hard to find. This coin seems to have less scratches on cheeks, but has some dark greenish gold toning (on O+R). Is there a taste for this kind of toning in the market?

What is the lighter colored smudge on the right wing of Eagle?

At this grade,I feel, it also lacks the shine on the coin, is it dull looking or is it normal for this type of coin?

dd26b97020.jpg

dd26ce1fd5.jpg

Personally, I like the looks of it. Smooth surfaces and good color.

The 'toning', if you'd even call it that, is very minor and certainly wouldn't detract from it for me.

Looks like a real solid 63.

Looks like a nice example, you should be able to buy slightly better dates around the same price. There are huge populations of that date, it was regarded as a bullion coin not too long ago. I would research recent auction records on this as part of being an informed consumer on HA, keep in mind the consignor was paying 17.5% and the buyer too there. A local shop recently had some type II $20s (1866-76) certified by our hosts in choice AU for around $1250, credit cards accepted. That shows you where that market is now.

At this grade,I feel, it also lacks the shine on the coin, is it dull looking or is it normal for this type of coin?

The coin looks attractive and accurately graded for a 63. I'll let others help you with the price.

As for the lack of "shine" (known more accurately as "luster"), the picture you posted is a scan. Scans are known for having a washed out look, and will never accurately display the luster of a coin. I'll bet that, in hand, there is pretty good luster there.

The price sounds about right - you might be able to get one for about $50 less. And from what I can see in the images, the coin looks to be quite nice, as well as original looking.

It's a very common coin, so you can afford to be patient and obtain one that will make you happy.

A decent looking coin for your type set but as stated by others a very common date, NGC has graded more 1904 Liberty double eagles than they have graded all 200 plus date and mint mark combinations of Liberty half eagles combined, same for PCGS also..

For the price you are willing to pay I think you can wait and snag one with a much lower pop if that makes a difference for you.

I like the looks of that coin for the grade. If you are buying for type, eye appeal and originality are more important than worrying about finding a slightly better date. Yes, 1904 is the most common double eagle in creation, but you need to put the eye appeal issue first.

I like the looks of that coin for the grade. If you are buying for type, eye appeal and originality are more important than worrying about finding a slightly better date. Yes, 1904 is the most common double eagle in creation, but you need to put the eye appeal issue first.

Appreciate Bill Jones's words! I like the eye appeal of this coin in this price range+grade. Glad to see one with less marks on the cheeks, again at this price+grade. Maybe I should go for it!

I like the look of this coin also. It sounds as though you've looked at quite a few of these. Gold has heated up the past couple of days. The future prices could be impacted. JMO....

Paul

Excellent points by Bill; it can be hard to find nice undipped gold coins, original, frosty and brilliant with good eye appeal. Many of these were dipped out to get more luster and higher grades. An un-messed with gold coin can be like a time capsule of antique treasure.

I agree with Bill. This coin has that natural patina going for it. (thumbs u

Went ahead and got it for $1,320

Its a beautiful coin. Very less scratches on cheeks and obverse compared to the MS 63's out there in the market. The reverse also looks decent. Maybe, few years later, I will send it to PCGS for an upgrade :grin:

My photographic skills are just OK (obv poor lighting, rev is ok).. but here it is through my lens.

O:

343502860f.png

R

341720414f.png