• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you expect a star designation on these? Grades are now in!

32 posts in this topic

First Franklin maybe (pretty good chance), first Washington maybe, the others no.

+1

I would also add the Roosie in the fourth image (maybe) to these possibles.

First Franklin maybe (pretty good chance), first Washington maybe, the others no.

I agree.

The first Franklin is quite attractive.

The Washington has some nice toning, but the splotchiness on the left hurts it (and I don't know what the reverse looks like).

The Roosevelt is attractive, but again probably not quite star quality. (again, if the reverse is nice too, you may get lucky with this one).

The final Franklin is almost certainly not a star.

Also, I don't reckon I've seen you around these parts before. Welcome to the forum, and we look forward to seeing more pretty coins like these!

Nice coins. To earn a star designation, it needs to be a eye appear such as attractive vibrant toning, prooflike or semi prooflike field on one of obverse or reverse, strong cameo contract, or intense luster. The first Franklin may gets a star designation, not 100% guarantee. I doubt that the rest will get a star designation unless if all of it looking better in person compare to the pictures, it's just my assume based from your pictures.

It is not possible to conclude anything definitive from the pictures. It is possible to give an opinion about expectation. It is not possible to predict with certainty what the TPG will conclude.

Everyone already knows that. No one is asking for a psychic prediction and guarantee. Just opinions.

The problem here is that NGC is very inconsistent when it comes to giving out the star designation. Some coins that seem deserving are not given the star and others that are inconsequential/nothing special are given the designation.

Based on what I see, I think the first Franklin should receive a star. The Washington Quarter and the neon Roosevelt both have shots. With regards to the Roosevelt, I have seen similarly toned coins with the star, but I have also seen several without it with comparable level/intensity/color toning. It's a crapshoot.

Yes, that is a good overview of the Star as it was founded.

The star has actually changed since then: All US coinage is now evaluated for the star, and the star is now also applied to circulated coinage which deserves it (I own a couple of EF Bust Halves with stars). In the past couple of years the Star was extended to foreign coinage as well.

NGC doesn't exactly hold tutorials on what will and will not qualify. If they said exactly what is necessary they'd need to open a complaint department.

Typically with toned coins they like coins with multiple colors (check), unbroken bands of color (check), "pop" (check), and no damage, terminal toning or ugliness of the opposite side (check).

I'd expect all 3 coins will be given star designations.

NGC doesn't exactly hold tutorials on what will and will not qualify. If they said exactly what is necessary they'd need to open a complaint department.

Typically with toned coins they like coins with multiple colors (check), unbroken bands of color (check), "pop" (check), and no damage, terminal toning or ugliness of the opposite side (check).

I'd expect all 3 coins will be given star designations.

Your checklist is good, except they tend to not like spottiness or speckles, which appear on two of those coins (check). Hence the reason we're questioning the star for 2 of them.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I sent in 11 coins and got 3 star designations. 2 of those stars came from the coins from this set. Both Franklins graded MS-66 FBL and one of them was a star. The other one was the dime that graded MS 66* FT. The quarter did not get a star but was an MS-67. Personally, I think the quarter has more eye appeal in hand than the dime, but hey....what do I know? The other star I got took me by surprise. It was on a nice toned '72 proof 1/2 $ that had nowhere near the eye appeal as a toned '70 proof 1/2 $ or a toned 1959 1/2 $ that was in the same batch of coins. Overall I did alright. Out of the 11 toned coins I sent in, all were graded and the lowest grade was a 66.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I sent in 11 coins and got 3 star designations. 2 of those stars came from the coins from this set. Both Franklins graded MS-66 FBL and one of them was a star. The other one was the dime that graded MS 66* FT. The quarter did not get a star but was an MS-67. Personally, I think the quarter has more eye appeal in hand than the dime, but hey....what do I know? The other star I got took me by surprise. It was on a nice toned '72 proof 1/2 $ that had nowhere near the eye appeal as a toned '70 proof 1/2 $ or a toned 1959 1/2 $ that was in the same batch of coins. Overall I did alright. Out of the 11 toned coins I sent in, all were graded and the lowest grade was a 66.

Congrats. :applause: