• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Awesome Gem Belgian Congo Error by Congo Kid

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Who needs an extra hole?

1888 1 Centime Double Hole Punch Error PCGS MS66RB. A tremendously cool error in top notch grade.

Likely a unique error. It does show that the holes were punched after the coins were struck.

This is a magnificent treasure that will now grace my Belgian Congo collection, where it will find good company with other rarities and gems.

17783.jpg

See more journals by Congo Kid

Likely a unique error. It does show that the holes were punched after the coins were struck.

What makes you think the holes were punched after striking? All I can say for sure from this image is that the center hole and blank were not punched out at the same time and that it looks like the center hole was punched out first. Which makes sense. Punching both at the same time would probably be difficult and it would be easier to punch out the small hole and then the blank than to puch ou the blank and then try to punch the small hole out of the center of it. Same thing goes for punching the hole out after the coin was struck.

The holes were definitely punched pre-strike. Notice the irregular shape of the punch (both of them, in this case).

The design has a raised lip around the central punch. Inside the lip, however, is an irregular and non-round shape. When the coin was struck, the planchet expanded into this void. If the punch was performed after the strike, it would be perfectly round.

I have patterns and have seen other patterns with the center hole traced out, but unpunched.

Patterns are one thing, production coins are something else.