• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC graded BU - guidelines?

7 posts in this topic

Someone gave this to me, looks like they bought it as GS pawn for $100!!!! :eek:

1. Its graded Brilliant Uncirculated by NGC - what will be the correct MS grade on it? MS 62 -63?

2. Why does NGC give a grade like "BU" ? Any specific reason?

04f801cdf9.jpg

054a9c3b42.jpg

054a7c29f3.jpg

I'd guess MS61. It is probably a very cheap way to do a bulk submission and not draw too much attention to the fact that the coins are low quality. Binion had the same thing for a group of the coins.

For a very large bulk submission of common, low grade coins, the submitter can have NGC slab it as "BU" for these lower grade ones. The higher grade ones will get an actual grade. I think there is a discounted fee for these. Usually, you'll see these on widgets that are hyped and marketed by the seller - in this case, that pawn shop. Part of the Binion "hoard" received this treatment as well, for example.

Someone gave this to me, looks like they bought it as GS pawn for $100!!!! :eek:

1. Its graded Brilliant Uncirculated by NGC - what will be the correct MS grade on it? MS 62 -63?

2. Why does NGC give a grade like "BU" ? Any specific reason?

04f801cdf9.jpg

054a9c3b42.jpg

054a7c29f3.jpg

It is an advertising method. It is sold at the same location, sort of an "I was there" keepsake.

Anybody that has seen the TV "reality" show knows who the "old man" is. Just be glad it doesn't state "Chumlee's Hoard" on the holder. Even that would be a bit much for any TPG to do. lol

Too bad they are not 'CC's' like The Old Man was pricing as generic silver dollars one day. His son Rick came down on him hard that day and told his Old Man he needed glasses.