• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 Continental Currency- Real or Fake??
1 1

87 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, CathyK said:

Can anyone tell me if this is a fake?

20190731_092010.jpg

It is a copy, probably from a souvenir shop.

Edited by Just Bob

If you look between the date and the C in CONTINENTAL I believe you will see a small R punched into it.  That R stands for Replica.  It was an alternate method of marking copies before the Hobby Protection Act in 1973.  It was also a common way of marking copies or English manufacture.  This piece definitely predates the HPA

3 hours ago, EleMint Man said:

If it isn't in a holder, it's fake. Super rare in any condition with only 6,000 minted approx.

179615_slab.png

While you’re going to be correct in the vast majority of cases, that’s still an unnecessary and misleading exaggeration. There are still a number of extremely rare coins that have not yet been graded and they turn up from time to time.

On 8/6/2019 at 5:49 AM, MarkFeld said:

While you’re going to be correct in the vast majority of cases, that’s still an unnecessary and misleading exaggeration. There are still a number of extremely rare coins that have not yet been graded and they turn up from time to time.

I was thinking of discouraging beginner and intermediate collectors from buying fakes or replicas at high prices. I should have written "If it isn't in a holder, it's more than likely it's a fake or a replica."

Edited by EleMint Man

7 hours ago, EleMint Man said:

I was thinking of discouraging beginner and intermediate collectors from buying fakes or replicas at high prices. I should have written "If it isn't in a holder, it's more than likely it's a fake or a replica."

(thumbsu

Yes that one is a fake.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:43 PM, EleMint Man said:

I should have written "If it isn't in a holder, it's more than likely it's a fake or a replica."

For these that is usually true, but it wasn't that long ago that one bought at a flea market for a dollar turned out the be real and was slabbed as a MS-64.

Going through my families coin collection trying to organize it all and came across 2 of these Continental Coins. 

How are you determining fakes so easily?

Here are the 2. I have questions on about 200 other coins in the collection as well haha.

Thanks in advance. Much appreciation.

20191118_170753.jpg

20191118_170736.jpg

I'm afraid that your two examples are also replica castings. See how grainy (Lumpy) the surfaces are ?

Look at the PCGS certified example. See how 'crisp' the lettering is, and how 'smooth' the field areas are ?

thebeav is correct, and the second one is marked with an R for replica between the C and the 1 in the date. This was a common way of marking copies before the Hobby Protection Act of 1973.  It was also a common way  in Britain.of marking copies.

Hey guys sorry to add more to the list of replicas. There is a T stamped under the dial that I believe gives it away but I am new to this. My mother is cleaning out her mother's house and this was in with all these other old coins. Let me know what you think. I have no way to weigh it right now so I don't know if it fits the range of the real ones. It looks grainy but the edge seems different from all of the other replicas I have seen. Let me know what you think!

10696.jpeg

10697.jpeg

10698.jpeg

43 minutes ago, MrGiDdY said:

Hey guys sorry to add more to the list of replicas. There is a T stamped under the dial that I believe gives it away but I am new to this. My mother is cleaning out her mother's house and this was in with all these other old coins. Let me know what you think. I have no way to weigh it right now so I don't know if it fits the range of the real ones. It looks grainy but the edge seems different from all of the other replicas I have seen. Let me know what you think!

10696.jpeg

10697.jpeg

10698.jpeg

It is also a copy with no numismatic value.

Another mushy casting.....sorry......

You know, with the massive quanity of these that have been produced,
 (I bought my first one as a kid in the 60's at our 'Historical Building'),
 can you imagine the excitement that runs through the house when someone
 finds one in grandpas old cigar box?
It really is a little sad......

Edited by thebeav

I too have one of these. See likely from the previous posts to be a restrike/fake. There is no r found near the date. However, when I look at real example on the PCGS website, I see the letters look punched or indented whereas the fake examples shown here have raised letters (as does mine). Is that accurate?

coin.thumb.jpg.c4516dc80ffb7efcd8f35a44f45b24e5.jpg

Edited by spare_change

Hi, I have a coin my father found when I was young, I have had it for over 40 yrs. I am not sure how to tell if it is a fake. Unfortunately about 15 yrs ago my father in law cleaned it using baking soda and water. I later read that you should never clean a coin. Not sure if that has affected the color on the patina. I can’t tell if this coin is silver or pewter. I weighed it yesterday and it comes in at 19. Can someone tell if this coin is a fake?

2410421C-34A9-4D0F-9F90-A717649C932B.jpeg

DA4B4694-17A1-4E74-A24E-DAB84F0C9825.jpeg

On 2/27/2020 at 9:33 AM, Michele123 said:

Hi, I have a coin my father found when I was young, I have had it for over 40 yrs. I am not sure how to tell if it is a fake. Unfortunately about 15 yrs ago my father in law cleaned it using baking soda and water. I later read that you should never clean a coin. Not sure if that has affected the color on the patina. I can’t tell if this coin is silver or pewter. I weighed it yesterday and it comes in at 19. Can someone tell if this coin is a fake?

The good news is that him having cleaned it doesn't pose a problem in this case.