• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there really premiums for no line NGC holders?How much

14 posts in this topic

Just noticed an ad from David Lawrence for a no line 85-O Morgan in 64 with a price of $140.

Some toning but minor and doesn't seem like the toning would add that much value.

And if premiums for no line holders what about the "fatties"?

Just noticed an ad from David Lawrence for a no line 85-O Morgan in 64 with a price of $140.

Some toning but minor and doesn't seem like the toning would add that much value.

And if premiums for no line holders what about the "fatties"?

Some coins in such holders bring premiums and others don't. Many of the ones that do, bring only minimal premiums. It's typically much more to do with the coin than the holder. I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on the price of one coin.

The no-line fatties are in the same category as PCGS OGH - there's a bit of hype, some people like them, but not really much premium for them. The idea was that they were graded more conservatively, but by this point they have been picked over pretty well. Most of the things worth upgrading have been upgraded, and you're left with accurately graded (or overgraded) coins in those holders.

Some people collect the different generations of slabs, and there will be a large premium for rare types. The no-line fatties are quite common, so don't get a premium.

More likely, when you see an ad mentioning the no line fatty it is marketing - it is something different that a clever marketer can build some hype about. But that's all it is.

Probably if the coin were PQ or a rarer coin it would be worth a significant premium. Doily holders don't always bring crazy premiums.

A Morgan dollar expert for 50 plus years was shocked that a common VF CC Morgan in a GSA flatpack sold for multiples of what he expected and was still scratching his head.

Probably if the coin were PQ or a rarer coin it would be worth a significant premium. Doily holders don't always bring crazy premiums.

A Morgan dollar expert for 50 plus years was shocked that a common VF CC Morgan in a GSA flatpack sold for multiples of what he expected and was still scratching his head.

The poster was asking about NGC no-line and "fattie" holders, not PCGS doily holders or GSA flat packs.

I realize that but was making a general comment about old holder premiums.

Larger category: older holder numismatic coins; smaller grouping: Early generation NGC holders, OH PCGS coins; also GSA anomalies and Early Anacs holders including their flat packs.

Maybe with your extensive knowledge you could give general and specific examples of the premiums on each.

The poster was asking about NGC no-line and "fattie" holders, not PCGS doily holders or GSA flat packs.

Dang Mark, You're getting a bit persnickety in this thread?

PM sent, Pat.

I realize that but was making a general comment about old holder premiums.

Larger category: older holder numismatic coins; smaller grouping: Early generation NGC holders, OH PCGS coins; also GSA anomalies and Early Anacs holders including their flat packs.

Maybe with your extensive knowledge you could give general and specific examples of the premiums on each.

I believe that each coin should be judged and valued,

based on its own merits and that generalizations are best avoided.

IMO......Just a typical has been, old codger dealer is all. :) " persnickety" I love it! Heh

Happy Festivus to all!

More likely, when you see an ad mentioning the no line fatty it is marketing - it is something different that a clever marketer can build some hype about. But that's all it is.

I fully agree with this, above, with very few exceptions.

The no-line fatties are in the same category as PCGS OGH - there's a bit of hype, some people like them, but not really much premium for them. The idea was that they were graded more conservatively, but by this point they have been picked over pretty well. Most of the things worth upgrading have been upgraded, and you're left with accurately graded (or overgraded) coins in those holders.

This, to me, is something to be cautious of. It's a generalization. There are folks that have these older holdered coins that haven't cared enough to even attempt to upgrade them, even if they believe they are un upgrade candidate. They like the coin as it is, and are fine with the old holder....and, at times, if they go to sell, they get the premium for the coin at the grade they believe it is, so, again, no need to reholder.

Also, some of the coins may have been off the market for awhile and, again, weren't even attempted at reholdering nor gone through a dealer that may send them in (or a collector).

To me, I don't buy into the hype of "HEY! LOOK! OLD HOLDER HERE WORTH $$$$$ EXTRA!" but I do look at the ones in old holders and see if I like the coin and how much I like it....

Most of my NGC coins have been reholdered and still have the original coin number so we have a general idea when they were graded. Thus they are in 'new old holders' and show much better now. Do they sell at a premium for that ? No they don't but now I don't have to keep rubbing my eyes in order to see the near perfect mirrors. And of course they are still the same coin.