• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guesses on grades

12 posts in this topic

65 and 64 respectively. The first bill is notably whiter which matters to me. The second bill has a bit of a stain on the cheek.

Still very nice old cash.

I would venture XF/AU, notes are far more subject to treatments, with original notes in the PPQ/EPQ category hard to find and commanding a premium. I would try to find a local objective currency expert for opinions. Buying already graded PMG/PCGS notes is a substantial safeguard over over-spending, quality control, and honest assessment though certain dealers don't want that and teach that currency grading is largely subjective.

For value I would check Heritage Auctions which has current auction records. Also Track and Price has a free 30 day trial. If you are going to put out thousands of dollars in purchases you need to do a lot of research and comparison shopping. http://trackandprice.com/ I met a major business company CEO in Vermont who I sold a couple PMG notes to who related how he was snookered by a local seller as he was a newbie, before he wised up.

I would venture XF/AU, notes are far more subject to treatments, with original notes in the PPQ/EPQ category hard to find and commanding a premium. I would try to find a local objective currency expert for opinions. Buying already graded PMG/PCGS notes is a substantial safeguard over over-spending, quality control, and honest assessment though certain dealers don't want that and teach that currency grading is largely subjective.

For value I would check Heritage Auctions which has current auction records. Also Track and Price has a free 30 day trial. If you are going to put out thousands of dollars in purchases you need to do a lot of research and comparison shopping. http://trackandprice.com/ I met a major business company CEO in Vermont who I sold a couple PMG notes to who related how he was snookered by a local seller as he was a newbie, before he wised up.

XF/AU feels a bit tough. I respect your opinion but hope your wrong.

Thanks for the info

It's hard to know how they will grade unless you can inspect them with an led. The second note could go Unc. possibly choice with epq. I prefer high resolution scans with a black background for grading. There are sometimes many hidden problems with notes.

I would also be on the lookout for any defects; pvc, minor rust (more common with older notes), pinholes, residue, etc.. Anything like that could preclude a numerical grade. An led light from behind helps to grade.

Line Item Country Denom. Series Label Description Signatures Grade Comments Pedigree

001 US $500 1934A Federal Reserve Note Chicago Julian Morgenthau 58

002 US $500 1934 Federal Reserve Note New York Julian Morgenthau 50 Closed Pinholes