This forum is dead - post your favorite coin or story

39 posts in this topic

toyonakataro   
  • 1,146 posts
12 hours ago, Zebo said:

Hope someone at NGC reviews their grading MS61 to MS66 - I can see one point here and there, but 5???

Putting aside the color, MS61 is way too low for this coin.  It was in ANACS holder(MS62) when I first submitted this coin for "cross at any grade" so maybe NGC graders were biased by the grade already given by ANACS ??   On the other hand, I think MS66(actually MS66 star)  was a giveaway. I think it should be in MS65 holder......putting aside the color.

Star City Homer   
  • 218 posts

Funny, I've gotten a few UPGRADES from coins in ANACS holders.  More than from ATS.  

And, for the sake of the thread, here is a photo of a jeton from my earlier attempts with my new/old camera.  The hippocamp is a cool mythological beastie.

Xk21GGamQdSUi5rMyXG2_jeton%20neptune.jpg

toyonakataro   
  • 1,146 posts

Cool design, but what's written on that "token" ?   Do you know how that thing was used for?

kidrootbeer   
  • 331 posts
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, Star City Homer said:

Okay, here's another, and a test of the web host/NGC board interaction.  This is the first silver yen I ever bought.  It was used as a placeholder in my Dansco Japan Type set album for many years.  After all, a chopped up yen would effectively function as a trade coin.  Now I strongly suspect this was a messed with/played with coin as there are just so many chops.  Any chop experts could perhaps weigh in on that.  Even so, it's a sentimental piece and has character.

2qnQgbMSRceJmvg376um_Chopped%20yen%20com

Perfectly OK

kidrootbeer   
  • 331 posts

True Story: we had a coin shop in one of the oldest towns in The United States, and sold a lot of metal detectors. There was a cadre of detectorists, who would sell me various bits and pieces of MA silver that they would find. Early Fall one year, I noticed that the college across the street was about to dig up the field which they owned, ostensibly for a Bandstand... I told this to one of the guys, and that my research shows that the field was a sheep's pasture in the 17th century. "Go see what you can find" and he came into he store a couple of weeks later, with some things he had unearthed. "Do you want the Good News first, or the Bad News" I asked him, and he elected to go with the Bad. "Well, here's what's left of a pewter button, some anonymous forged Iron (the Saugus Iron Works weren't too at away), and that is a really corroded half penny, probably GII. The Good News is, that you found these meaning that the field has never been detected. The pewter button is probably 17thc, so go back and take your time". So, he comes back later that week and places a decent, litely porous XF Small Size Pine Tree Shilling, still dirty, on  the counter. I found myself saying that I'd give him 3K for it. "Okay, but can you give me two checks?" Thinking he had to split it with someone, I said Sure, and gave him one for a grand, and one for two. Not thinking anything about it, a while later a very pregnant woman, pushing a carriage with a young'un in tow, came into the shop looking for someone of my first name. "That would be me; please wait and I'll be with you in a minute." So I finish with the customer, but he isn't leaving (later he told me he hoped that all the kids were mine and that I didn't know about them)... "So, what can I do for you?" I asked her, and she began to thank us, for obvious reasons, for buying her husband's coin that he found, for $2000!! I started to say that we paid him $3000, but I was able to bite my tongue in time. Post --script: after cleaning it up, we sent the coin to (a certain Grading company) for certification, valued at $5000. After certification, they promptly returned the coin to someone else. Hilarity ensued.

Edited by allmine

Star City Homer   
  • 218 posts

:roflmao::roflmao:

Not sure if I laughed harder at what your customer had to say or the "Hilarity ensued" comment!  Thus, the two ROFL characters.

We had our backyard dug up on short notice in the recent past and I tried desperately hard to find a metal detector to run over it, sadly I couldn't get my hands on one fast enough and the bricks were relaid.  The house is only 1920s era, but who knows, a gold coin might have dropped...

Zebo   
  • 454 posts

Always need to keep some cash for the next purchase. 

Yarm   
  • 671 posts

By early 90's I had tired of US proof coins but still checked out the latest catalogs. I thought it odd that a full page color plate of a British farthing appeared in the 1991 Mid-American Fun sale among what was predominately US material. 

Selling with it's original copper shells from the SOHO mint was this gilt piece.  I was smitten!

IMG_1245.thumb.JPG.f72a0ff5ce75bc1fa27b353c3cac4119.JPG 

It remains part of my George III copper/gilt type set  (NGC PF65CAM.)

Merged1799giltfarthingreduced2.JPG.d9a62b2fb3800772a9f450baf97101ef.JPG