• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This forum is dead - post your favorite coin or story

44 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Zebo said:

Hope someone at NGC reviews their grading MS61 to MS66 - I can see one point here and there, but 5???

Putting aside the color, MS61 is way too low for this coin.  It was in ANACS holder(MS62) when I first submitted this coin for "cross at any grade" so maybe NGC graders were biased by the grade already given by ANACS ??   On the other hand, I think MS66(actually MS66 star)  was a giveaway. I think it should be in MS65 holder......putting aside the color.

Funny, I've gotten a few UPGRADES from coins in ANACS holders.  More than from ATS.  

And, for the sake of the thread, here is a photo of a jeton from my earlier attempts with my new/old camera.  The hippocamp is a cool mythological beastie.

Xk21GGamQdSUi5rMyXG2_jeton%20neptune.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, Star City Homer said:

Okay, here's another, and a test of the web host/NGC board interaction.  This is the first silver yen I ever bought.  It was used as a placeholder in my Dansco Japan Type set album for many years.  After all, a chopped up yen would effectively function as a trade coin.  Now I strongly suspect this was a messed with/played with coin as there are just so many chops.  Any chop experts could perhaps weigh in on that.  Even so, it's a sentimental piece and has character.

2qnQgbMSRceJmvg376um_Chopped%20yen%20com

Perfectly OK

True Story: we had a coin shop in one of the oldest towns in The United States, and sold a lot of metal detectors. There was a cadre of detectorists, who would sell me various bits and pieces of MA silver that they would find. Early Fall one year, I noticed that the college across the street was about to dig up the field which they owned, ostensibly for a Bandstand... I told this to one of the guys, and that my research shows that the field was a sheep's pasture in the 17th century. "Go see what you can find" and he came into he store a couple of weeks later, with some things he had unearthed. "Do you want the Good News first, or the Bad News" I asked him, and he elected to go with the Bad. "Well, here's what's left of a pewter button, some anonymous forged Iron (the Saugus Iron Works weren't too at away), and that is a really corroded half penny, probably GII. The Good News is, that you found these meaning that the field has never been detected. The pewter button is probably 17thc, so go back and take your time". So, he comes back later that week and places a decent, litely porous XF Small Size Pine Tree Shilling, still dirty, on  the counter. I found myself saying that I'd give him 3K for it. "Okay, but can you give me two checks?" Thinking he had to split it with someone, I said Sure, and gave him one for a grand, and one for two. Not thinking anything about it, a while later a very pregnant woman, pushing a carriage with a young'un in tow, came into the shop looking for someone of my first name. "That would be me; please wait and I'll be with you in a minute." So I finish with the customer, but he isn't leaving (later he told me he hoped that all the kids were mine and that I didn't know about them)... "So, what can I do for you?" I asked her, and she began to thank us, for obvious reasons, for buying her husband's coin that he found, for $2000!! I started to say that we paid him $3000, but I was able to bite my tongue in time. Post --script: after cleaning it up, we sent the coin to (a certain Grading company) for certification, valued at $5000. After certification, they promptly returned the coin to someone else. Hilarity ensued.

:roflmao::roflmao:

Not sure if I laughed harder at what your customer had to say or the "Hilarity ensued" comment!  Thus, the two ROFL characters.

We had our backyard dug up on short notice in the recent past and I tried desperately hard to find a metal detector to run over it, sadly I couldn't get my hands on one fast enough and the bricks were relaid.  The house is only 1920s era, but who knows, a gold coin might have dropped...

By early 90's I had tired of US proof coins but still checked out the latest catalogs. I thought it odd that a full page color plate of a British farthing appeared in the 1991 Mid-American Fun sale among what was predominately US material. 

Selling with it's original copper shells from the SOHO mint was this gilt piece.  I was smitten!

IMG_1245.thumb.JPG.f72a0ff5ce75bc1fa27b353c3cac4119.JPG 

It remains part of my George III copper/gilt type set  (NGC PF65CAM.)

Merged1799giltfarthingreduced2.JPG.d9a62b2fb3800772a9f450baf97101ef.JPG

One of my memorable days in metal detecting was many many years ago when for the first time together with my family I went for a hunt to introduce them into my hobby. Believe it or not but on the most hunted place magic happened. I still have few pic. left. It is a small part of it. 

s (640x480).jpg

ss (640x480).jpg

sss (480x640).jpg

ssss (480x640).jpg

sssss (480x640).jpg

ssssss (640x480).jpg

Nice!

Hadn't looked at this thread in awhile and realized I had a couple old posts I never got the pictures attached to.  One was a medal and I have no idea which one it might have been.  

This is the coin where the photo didn't load properly--my non-coin collecting husband astutely figured out this was an awesome coin and managed to sneak a trip to a coin shop without me knowing about it when we were living in Japan.  Pretty much the best present ever!  

manen combo cropped copy.jpg

On 3/17/2017 at 12:40 AM, toyonakataro said:

Odd color for sure.  But ANACS gave it a straight grade(MS62) and NGC twice(MS61 and 66) , whitch makes me confused a lot.

I'm late to this conversation, but: the difference in grade is doubtlessly the result of the color. The MS61 opinion was probably given because the graders felt the color might be suspect, and possibly hiding some friction. ANACS probably thought there was friction when they gave it 62. The MS66 grade was given by graders who loved the color and decided it was a true, problem-free gem.

So this is my story:

Last summer I went to a garage sell in Bucks Port Maine. I asked the woman my 5 questions, Any old coins Gold or silver, Any Guns or ammunition, any Electric Margarita maker. Same answer as always a chuckle, and no,no,no.no,no. The lady next to me said hey, I need to talk to you. She brought over 5 silver coins dollar sized from different countries. will you give me $100.00 for these . They are silver approx. 1 oz. I said yes, and paid her. She came back with a large satchel and asked if I would pay $500 for them. I said yes and gave her the money. In the bag several Pieces of 8, several Morgans, several Pease dollars. An 1855b Switzerland 1 rappen Key. NGC cert as xf40 $500.00, An Italian 5 Lire NGC cert as xf45 $850.00 A Canadian 50 cent, NGC AU 58 Value $2500.00, 122 large cents sold for $2000.00 an 1802 1/000 NGC vf35 in my collection. about 150 coins into my personal collection. I didn't go through the bag until several months later and I had left Maine. Needless to say I have been to almost every Garage sale in whatever city I was in on any given Saturday. Haven't made any connections so far But I am always hopeful.

God I just love coin collecting.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs