• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossing or Reholdering Copper Coins

11 posts in this topic

This question has general relevance, but also relates to the discussion regarding TPG-exclusive registry sets.

I realize that graders are expertly careful when they handle coins. Nonetheless, I'm very reluctant to send in a slabbed high-end copper coin, even for reholdering. I have some very nice RB and BN (& a few RD) copper coins in older holders that have been stable in my collection for some time. Included are early-generation holders. As we all know the value difference for these coins can be significant, even with slight color differences or the appearance of carbon, fingerprints, etc. And, unlike silver, changes in appearance are irreversible.

Take an extreme example. If you owned an 1877 IHC in 66RD in an early-generation holder, would you want another human to handle it and subject it to the "atmosphere"?

This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm curious if any of you have had any experiences one way or the other crossing or reholdering these fragile beauties.

I am conflicted. I agree with the importance of stability, but I would also be concerned about toning from the old NGC no line fatty. Reholdering also renews the NGC color guarantee (or at least that is what NGC told me a couple of years ago).

I am conflicted. I agree with the importance of stability, but I would also be concerned about toning from the old NGC no line fatty. Reholdering also renews the NGC color guarantee (or at least that is what NGC told me a couple of years ago).

If nothing has happened to a coin in an old NGC fatty holder by now, I wouldn't worry much, at all.

And in general, I'd opt for the stability of leaving a copper coin in its present holder. To me, removing it isn't worth the risk.

What Mark said.

When the ANACS was established, the idea was for the staff that opened packages, photographed and weighed coins, and authenticated them to wear white cotton gloves. These appeared in photos in magazine. One of the early workers there told me this did not last long. AFAIK none of the TPGS requires gloves and ALL are very careful with your coins.

Thanks very much for the comments. The only coins I've crossed of any type have been those that needed reholderiing anyway and so moved them to our host. Have a nice RB 14D that I was considering crossing as it appears undergraded to me. In an older holder with a well-worn CAC sticker. I'm leaving it as is.

Consider this completely opposite view: If you have a 1950 proof Lincoln it was in a cellophane envelope with holes in it until minimum 1987. If still red after 37 years it's not going to hurt changing the holder to a cleaner better sealed holder that shows the coin better. Same goes for red Indian cents; many were 100 years old before holdered ! Get that copper reholdered so you can enjoy it while you're still alive. Additionally the actual color will be corrected at time of reholder making census numbers more real. There are many holdered coppers with the wrong color designation on the label and you probably own some. If you are concerned about prints or smudges caused by handlers NGC should fix problems caused by them. I've had that done with outstanding results.

Thanks numisport, you make some good points as well. Your last comment about NGC is encouraging. I will add that all the raw RD Lincolns that I have sent to NGC that were left over from my old raw collecting days, including a 1950 proof, have fared well for three years or so.

Buyer beware of that old holder copper. It could bring premium money but only if it is real red color. Sometimes the only reason it's in an old holder is because it is no longer red. If the holder is buffed and scratched it could be a sign that it has changed hands many times. They cannot be reholdered if color is not completely and positively RED.