• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Continental Currency 1776 - Real or Fake?

40 posts in this topic

While cleaning out my Mother's estate I came across this coin in her jewelry box. I was hoping someone could tell me if it is possibly genuine or a replica.

kedi8Wzl.jpg

0r0s1oWl.jpg

b2jeU45l.jpg

uO7pHlNl.jpg

I weighed it on my food scales and it was 24 grams.

Edited by lunamud

Your coin is a crudely cast replica that is made to be sold as souvenirs to tourists at the gift shops at many historic sites. These replicas are very common and have been extensively produced.

To me the Continental Dollar is a lost cause. They were always just beyond my financial reach when I didn't have tons of money, and and prices were much lower. The situation is similar now that I have more. Adding to the fun, (no pun intended) is that 99% of the raw ones are copies. I've seen some of the copies fool collectors and dealers with a lot of experience. They are not all cast copies that could have been bought for $1.00 at Woolworths or the gift shops.

The last time I priced one was at a Winter FUN show. I must of looked really stupid, because the quote was close to $200,000, which was WAY BEYOND the market at the time. That dealer must have thought he saw a rich rube in his midst. I get mistaken for that, even in my old age.

Sometimes it's good to look dumb. Other times not.

Your coin is a crudely cast replica that is made to be sold as souvenirs to tourists at the gift shops at many historic sites. These replicas are very common and have been extensively produced.

This

On 12/12/2016 at 9:51 PM, lunamud said:

While cleaning out my Mother's estate I came across this coin in her jewelry box. I was hoping someone could tell me if it is possibly genuine or a replica.

kedi8Wzl.jpg

0r0s1oWl.jpg

b2jeU45l.jpg

uO7pHlNl.jpg

I weighed it on my food scales and it was 24 grams.

15160788288141910712956.jpg

Pricey little buggers, the real ones.

AU 58, about a year and a half ago, HA, winning bid was $60k, and with BP: $70,500.  (pewter, CURRENCY, Post Declaration)

That 1776 date is oh so cool, though.

1 hour ago, coinman1794 said:

This is another obvious fake.

I think we need a forum automated message capacity that detects the string "1776 Continental Dollar" and, rather than allowing the post, sends a PM that says "it's a fake, sorry."

Yes, most if not all of the ones posted in this thread are domestic copies not imported ones.  Frankly I think if the Chinese started copying these they would be of much better quality, unfortunately.