• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Concerned About Accidental Damage While Sorting

11 posts in this topic

Hi there! Newcomer here. I'm James. I've been LOVING the 'What You Need To Know' resources posted here. But after a few hours using the search bar and reading the basics of managing an 'Inherited Collection', I have yet to locate a 'definitive answer' on large volume coin sorting methods. Here's an example:

Suppose you've inherited a room-sized collection of World and U.S. Coins to sort through for valuation and eventual sale. The majority of it is already albumed, boxed, and/or tubed with sorting (in other words, ZERO need to mess with it). The remainder is either unsorted and loose (large circulated tubs), or consisting of large tubs of filled tubes, but WITHOUT sorting (contents of tubes clearly the better preserved coins among the unsorted pile).

Let's assume I'm already following the basic handling practices:

• cloth table cover, 2x layered.

• cotton/non-powdered vinyl gloves.

• masks.

• air purifiers.

• regular 'post-session' room cleaning.

• polystyrene tubes used for storage.

The advice I've gotten so far (regarding inherited collections and the need to research and understand what all you have first before seeing dealers) was universal. The way I see it, even with my little Redbook here, I'm not going to be able 'magically' find all the valuable coins in a pile THIS big without making *some* sense of this pile first. So which of these sorting methods would you use to sort by Year/Mint Mark?

Option A. Un-tubing the entire lot into one big pile on the table cloth, using cups to sort by decade, then year, then by mint mark, then straight back into tubes. (quick and dirty, same handling/room cleaning procedures outlined above).

Option B. Working with individual tubes, laying each coin out on the table cloth so they never touch, then sorting them back into tubes by decade. After that, repeat to sort by year, and then by mint mark the same way (again, same handling/cleaning procedures from above, just takes longer and more steps to help prevent damage).

Option C. ???

And what about SPECIFIC sorting scenarios:

• Loose circulated Lincoln Cents between 1910-1969. (varying condition, but still enough tubs to fill almost half a small room)

• An equally sized pile of tubed Lincoln Cents in the same range (shiny tube contents, assumed AU for now).

• 1000 tubed Indian Head Cents (straight from the order box, but unsorted in tubes. I haven't DARED touch these).

• Over 5,000 Wheat Cents in canvas money sacks (straight from their original order boxes.)

If I do 'B' I will definitely be at it a while but it might be better for the coins in the long run. If I do 'A', it will take less time, but the approach might be a little too heavy-handed for the better preserved coins (scratches, dings). Thoughts? Approach Tweaks?

Update: I've been searching on this issue for several days now, and the only thing I've managed to turn up are Youtube videos of self-professed 'experts' talking (spitting) over their own coins while they handle everything with bare hands that are clearly dirty.

Hi there! Newcomer here. I'm James. I've been LOVING the 'What You Need To Know' resources posted here. But after a few hours using the search bar and reading the basics of managing an 'Inherited Collection', I have yet to locate a 'definitive answer' on large volume coin sorting methods. Here's an example:

Suppose you've inherited a room-sized collection of World and U.S. Coins to sort through for valuation and eventual sale. The majority of it is already albumed, boxed, and/or tubed with sorting (in other words, ZERO need to mess with it). The remainder is either unsorted and loose (large circulated tubs), or consisting of large tubs of filled tubes, but WITHOUT sorting (contents of tubes clearly the better preserved coins among the unsorted pile).

Let's assume I'm already following the basic handling practices:

• cloth table cover, 2x layered.

• cotton/non-powdered vinyl gloves.

• masks.

• air purifiers.

• regular 'post-session' room cleaning.

• polystyrene tubes used for storage.

The advice I've gotten so far (regarding inherited collections and the need to research and understand what all you have first before seeing dealers) was universal. The way I see it, even with my little Redbook here, I'm not going to be able 'magically' find all the valuable coins in a pile THIS big without making *some* sense of this pile first. So which of these sorting methods would you use to sort by Year/Mint Mark?

Option A. Un-tubing the entire lot into one big pile on the table cloth, using cups to sort by decade, then year, then by mint mark, then straight back into tubes. (quick and dirty, same handling/room cleaning procedures outlined above).

Option B. Working with individual tubes, laying each coin out on the table cloth so they never touch, then sorting them back into tubes by decade. After that, repeat to sort by year, and then by mint mark the same way (again, same handling/cleaning procedures from above, just takes longer and more steps to help prevent damage).

Option C. ???

And what about SPECIFIC sorting scenarios:

• Loose circulated Lincoln Cents between 1910-1969. (varying condition, but still enough tubs to fill almost half a small room)

• An equally sized pile of tubed Lincoln Cents in the same range (shiny tube contents, assumed AU for now).

• 1000 tubed Indian Head Cents (straight from the order box, but unsorted in tubes. I haven't DARED touch these).

• Over 5,000 Wheat Cents in canvas money sacks (straight from their original order boxes.)

If I do 'B' I will definitely be at it a while but it might be better for the coins in the long run. If I do 'A', it will take less time, but the approach might be a little too heavy-handed for the better preserved coins (scratches, dings). Thoughts? Approach Tweaks?

Welcome to the forum.

Option B might be unnecessary, if the coins are low enough grade and/or value. And based on your description, my guess is that it is, indeed, unnecessary.

I am a dabbler or newb myself but I think you are on the right track.

Advice from me:

Enjoy yourself.

Focus on one type first. I say the Lincoln cents. Most are relatively inexpensive but get familiar with what from the run is rare and keep an eye out for it. I'd make a set for me then other sets of commons and auction them for fun on fleabay or give them to your younger family members. Sounds like you have a huge number.

Edit: drop in on a coin store or coin show and get a look at various grades and rarieties first hand.

When you get bored with those go on to the next.

If the Lincoln cents are circulated, I would recommend not worrying about the date/MM for any wheat cents after 1934 and any coins at all after 1958 (check for the 1955 doubled die, of course). Just group all of those together. Take out anything that's BU of course. Don't worry about the gloves for circ Lincolns. They'll get dirty so fast it won't matter anyway.

Seriously, I CANNOT tell you how much I've appreciated your replies! As you probably guessed from the post, I do NOT want to be 'that guy' who accidentally turns his grandfather's $10,000 penny stack into a $10 pile.

So based on what I've read from you guys, it sounds like:

1. coins that fall under the 'circulated' category are in little danger at all from our current sorting/handling practices (thrown into cups). Go nuts.

2. the further above 'circulated' that something is, the more 'careful' you may want to be with it (maybe handle those clearly nicer condition Indian Heads individually from the tubes on the tablecloth as opposed to plinking them casually into cups?). Case-by case basis.

3. So dust isn't really a huge factor when putting coppers into polystyrene tubes?

@david3142: Those date ranges are good to know! That's where most of these fall! :)

@MarkFeld: Thank you for the welcome and the green-light on sorting methods! Being from Heritage Auctions, I take that as 'straight from the Horse's Mouth'.

@MarkVIIIMarc It definitely helps to focus on one type of coin for now. Thankfully, it's sorted at least that far, lol.

I thought the question might be about accidental damage while examining other people's/dealer's coins, which I'm sure has happened, same thing with currency where mishandling might make it a "you own it" item. Not anything I have faced.

I dip all my submissions now in either acetone or "Conserv" a relatively new product that was advertised in Greysheet, petro-based and non-reactive with metal. I just got tired of notifications that a coin needed to be conserved at NGC with extra fees and time.

Just have plenty of space to examine coins. I also wonder if it is possible for the plastic flips to ever leave a tiny line on a 69/70 coin.

I thought the question might be about accidental damage while examining other people's/dealer's coins, which I'm sure has happened, same thing with currency where mishandling might make it a "you own it" item. Not anything I have faced.

I dip all my submissions now in either acetone or "Conserv" a relatively new product that was advertised in Greysheet, petro-based and non-reactive with metal. I just got tired of notifications that a coin needed to be conserved at NGC with extra fees and time.

Just have plenty of space to examine coins. I also wonder if it is possible for the plastic flips to ever leave a tiny line on a 69/70 coin.

Why are you discussing submissions and 69/70 coins? Did you read the original post ?

Okay guys, so here's the new plan:

1. Cup sort all circulated coins by decade.

2. Cup sort all circulated coins between 1910-1969 by year.

3. Tube all stand-outs.

------------------------------------

4. Move onto tubed Indian Heads.

5. B/c of their condition, gently hand sort these on the table cloth.

6. B/c of their number (1000), re-tube by decade.

------------------------------------

7. Move onto Wheat Sacks.

8. B/c of their condition (fresh from original order pkg), gently hand sort on table cloth.

9. B/c of their number (5000+), re-tube by decade.

Don't sweat the household dust situation so much, as dust is more of an issue for flips than tubes.

Sound about right?

Wow! Welcome to the forum! That would be a fun project you are undertaking. The approach you suggest seems sensible to me. However, I'd have 3 separate cups for each decade for P, D, S minted Lincoln cents. The "D" and "S," especially earlier dates, have lower mintage and are worth separating from the "P's."

The Indian Head Cents I'd just do by year instead of decade- 1,000 tubes! Man- keep your eye out for the 1888/7!

Have fun, and good luck with project!!!

Rich

P.S. If you have the time after separating coins per decade and mint with Lincoln's, I'd revisit those prior to 1935 and separate those per year, P, D, S. Also, don't forget the Indian Head Cent 1908, and 1909 "S" mints if you have those!