• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What effect, if any, do coins with over-hyped descriptions, have on you?

38 posts in this topic

Do you mean something along the lines of...

"Mother Nature's Baby is what we call this monster. The colors are out of this world! Electric and totally original shades of deep pearl green/royal blue/fiery violet/amber swirl all over the obverse. Picasso or the boldest Peacock in heat can't compare to the magical colors. The colors are so memorable too. We rank the colors an unheard of 100-yes 100 on our 1-10 scale (10 is the best). "

In this particular case, the effect it has on me is it makes me wonder how much the writer knows about peacocks in heat.

I'm not familiar with the coin or coin description, but it sounds like something that Legend would write. Of course, I think Legend's reputation overcomes some of the negativity that many collectors would impute due to overhyped descriptions. Either that or we (most of the posters commenting to this thread) are not representative of the larger collecting population on this issue.

As for the peacock analogy, I thought the males were the ones with the most bold/colorful feathers as a way to attract females. I would hope the writer would understand that heat (estrus) is a female trait. Whoever wrote this needs to take some biology and creative writing classes. It sounds like something made up by the Home Shopping Network.

What about the unheard of 100 ranking on the 1-10 scale. Might have to brush up on their quantum physics too.

As creative as the horny peacock metaphor might be, I think I like this part the best. Because they remind us that "(10 is the best)"...leaving absolutely no doubt that the 100 this coin has attained is something special.

What about the unheard of 100 ranking on the 1-10 scale. Might have to brush up on their quantum physics too.

As creative as the horny peacock metaphor might be, I think I like this part the best. Because they remind us that "(10 is the best)"...leaving absolutely no doubt that the 100 this coin has attained is something special.

At least it wasn't riddled with typos, and it has punctuation. I think some of the original (now edited) Hot Topics blog entries on the site have lowered the expectation/bar. I think people are happy to have at least semi-coherent prose.

I have yet to buy anything that shouts "RARE L@@K!" There are currently 9,522 such items on eBay. No idea how many I've missed out on since signing up for eBay long ago.

If a coin is over-hyped, chances are it is also overpriced. I will mentally mock purveyors of such items and not buy their stuff. I did ask someone once what the difference between PQ++ and PQ+++ was. Unsurprising, but unmemorable response.

I do give props to satirical hype, however.

Well....I'll read it, as well as the grade, and then either agree or disagree. As others mentioned, the coin needs to 'speak to me' to buy it.

Extending this a bit, one of my Classic Head $5 gold coins was part of the Eric P Newman collection (also CAC) and that has some cachet to me but I liked the coin with/without the unique reference on the label.

Not reading any of the responses, I call it 'fluff' nonsense verbiage. If I see both sides and I like it, I could care less what the seller or auction house has to say about it...sorry James Early and also you Mark Feld.

Over-hyped descriptions as you have stated them are a deterrent to me ! Even if the coin in question is decent. I'm prone to simply walk away. Like most I suppose , it's seems to be somewhat like an autonomic response. That is to say that , it gives me an instant feeling of avoidance so as not to be scammed or taken .