• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1oz MS libertad variety new slot

7 posts in this topic

Can you add a new slot for the 1982 triple die variety for the 1oz libertad BU registry set? Certification number 2809397-001

Since the 2015 PL 1 oz libertad was added to the 1oz BU registry set last year, can you add a new slot for the 2016 PL now that it's out?

Also, there is another major variety for the 1987 1oz proof libertad, missing feathers, can you add that slot as well? I think there are 4 known now.

Thanks

Tom

• Administrator

Hello, mackbrass.

Thank you for the requests. The deadline to request new slots for the 2016 NGC Annual Awards was Friday, November 4th. You may see one of these announcements here on the chat board: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9622623#Post9622623

With only one 1982 triple die variety currently graded, we would not add a separate slot. Also, with only 4 coins currently graded with missing feathers, we would not add a separate slot. We will look into the possibility of adding the 2016 PL slot after the awards period has passed. Thanks very much.

Is there a certain number of coins that need to be discovered before making a new slot?

When I requested new slots for the 1982 DD and the 1988 DD there were only 1 at the time and when I rested the slot for the 83 proof triple die it had only 3 known at the time. I would think that when a new variety is discovered it would make sence to create the slot so others collecting could start looking for more as its the best way to help spread the word.

Right now, there is a slot for the 1983 1oz proof libertad double die and it appears there is only 1?

When coin world magazine did an article on my libertad registry set i told them about the new varieties and there would be more coming in the future as more collectors jump into this series. The only reason these haven't been discovered before was due to the collector base being so small.

So far, I have requested slots for the 82 DD, 87 DD, 88 DD and 83 proof triple Die and there was never a question, now that they have been added several others have filled them in.

• Administrator

Slot additions are examined individually on a case by case basis. There are a variety of factors involved in consideration of adding a new slot, including mintage, population, ease of accessibility to the majority of collectors, senior graders' discretion and other factors. Again, we will look at these requests after the awards period has passed. Thank you, and let us know when we may assist next.