• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Medals of Christian Gobrecht

23 posts in this topic

Christian Gobrecht was an accomplished engraver even before his employment by the United States Mint and many of his designs for private medals were struck by contract at the mint facility. An excellent resource for these medals is the work of R.W. Julian, "Medals of the United States Mint, The First Century, 1792 - 1892, printed by the Medal and Token Society, Inc. (1977). Some of his designs will be shown here. Post images of any in your collection.

1839a_zps66aif2bs.jpg

1839b_zpslu5ud47c.jpg

The "Archimedes Medal" (Julian AM-55) is considered one of his most intricate and largest designs at 63mm. This particular silver example was awarded in 1839, although the medal was most likely designed years earlier. Note the GOBRECHT F. in the lower bust of Archimedes on the obverse and the C.GOBRECHT.F. under the engraving panel on the reverse. Perhaps the punches are the same as those used for his 'signature' on the more famous Gobrecht Dollar.

Thanks for looking for and your comments as well. Yes, I am very fortunate to have this medal in my collection. I can only imagine what Mrs. Brooks embroidery must have looked like for her to be awarded this prestigious 7.4 ounce silver medal, most probably 9.25 sterling.

These medals are not often seen and messydesk's beautiful image of the Thomas Hurd example shows a real treasure.

Most award medals during this period were presented without inscription, so the individual receiving the award would have been responsible for any engraving. This is shown in the different style and wording between the Mrs. Brooks and Thomas Hurd medals. Basically, personal preference and different engraver.

The reverse of this large so-called "Archimedes Medal" (actually New England Society for Promotion of Manufactures and Mechanics Arts Medal) features images of what were considered three very important American inventions of the time ~ Whitney's Cotton Gin, Fulton's Steamboat, and can you guess the other ?

The answer will be revealed shortly.

Thanks for looking for and your comments as well. Yes, I am very fortunate to have this medal in my collection. I can only imagine what Mrs. Brooks embroidery must have looked like for her to be awarded this prestigious 7.4 ounce silver medal, most probably 9.25 sterling.

The Mint struck medals only in pure silver or gold at this time. After

1860 there were occasional medals in .900 fine but never Sterling.

Thanks for the correct information disme, it is greatly appreciated. I should have realized sterling was not the proper standard. That is what I get for spending too much time with the silverware.

Glad you like the image of Archemedes, physics.

Gobrecht's work on Old Ben for the Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania Award Medal is not to shabby either.

1824oBHa.1000a_zpsdbx8cyaa.jpg

1827rBHa.1000_zpsl1deyskt.jpg

This medal, listed as Julian AM-17, is 50mm with the GOBRECHT.F. under Ben's bust on the obverse and the first reverse style, with only the monogram G. below the wreath. Silver yes ~ sterling no. This is the earliest dated example I have seen. Don't know what Mr. Bankroft did in 1827, but he must have been pretty good at it.

Great guess pocket art. You are so close, but it is Jacob Perkins' Nail Cutting and Head Making Machine, although it does look more like a telegraph to me as well.

Yeah, that was my second guess...not really, I initially thought steam engine but I didn't see a boiler so I went with telegraph. Who would think that a Nail Cutting and Head Making Machine would have fit the bill then to be worthy for a medal? Oh well, hat tip to Mr. Perkins.

Thanks again for sharing!

Mary Shelly was going to include "Jacob Perkins' Nail Cutting and Head Making Machine" in the 2nd edition of Frankenstein but then pulled the content because it was too technologically advanced according to her young niece Ada Byron [Lovalace].

Perkins later adapted his machine to cut finger nails while brewing beer, but it was not a commercial success.

....well, so it is written on the Internet..... ;)

Here is another...

1844a%202_zps9tfcg8hv.jpg

1844b%202_zps9zpwwptw.jpg

Listed as Julian AM-33 for the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanics Association at 39mm with this 1844 awarded example in silver. The medal was probably designed in late 1835 or 1836 as they were first awarded by the MCMA in 1837 (also struck in gold). The C.GOBRECHT.F. 'signature' is on the obverse but none on reverse. Embroidery was evidently quite an important exhibition item.

Components of the seated pose and "Gobrecht Nose" look more like his Liberty Seated coinage design.

my38a_zpstpoieln9.jpg

Thank you for sharing this artwork---it is beautiful and I'd likely never have the chance to see it, otherwise.

Besides Walkers and Standing Liberty Quarters; I have always fancied Gobrecht's Seated Coinage designs.