• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Collection - incl a 1899 morgan micro-O, top 100, pics added

12 posts in this topic

Hi all - I am a comic book guy and don't know a ton about coins. Please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong thread. A friend of mine recently inherited her grandfather's coin collection and she does not have any interest in keeping it. I told her I'd try to get some info as there are so many experts on these boards. I know certain years/mints are very important in valuing coins and that information can be found fairly readily. However, condition is equally important and that's where I have no skill. If anyone is willing to chime in on relative condition of these coins and how the toning/coloring affects the value I would greatly appreciate it. The collection has about 20 Morgans and maybe a dozen Peace dollars. Additionally, there are many Kennedy half dollars, Eisenhower dollars, Washington quarters, etc. that I assume don't have much value.

In any case, and I hope I'm not breaking protocol by posting 3 coins in the same post, here are 3 of the dollars in fairly representative condition of the collection. The one that is seriously colored is the most extreme example of that.

Thanks very much in advance.

fullsizeoutput_2fc5_zpsafibkqem.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc4_zps2xz9jd9d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc3_zpsb5x9ryil.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc2_zpsjvpo9yof.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc1_zpso2wbs8o7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc0_zpsdoqzu2lz.jpeg

The 1882 Morgan Dollar looks to be About Uncirculated and worth about $25-$30 retail.

The 1934 Peace Dollar looks to have Extra Fine Details but environmentally damaged and is worth about $25 retail.

The 1891 Morgan Dollar looks to be Almost Uncirculated and worth about $25-$30 retail.

If by chance, the 1882 and 1891 look better in person and are uncirculated, rather than Almost Uncirculated, the 1882 would be worth roughly an additional $20 and the 1891, perhaps as much as an extra $100. I believe that scenario to be unlikely, however.

The color/toning on the two Morgan Dollars should not affect their value in the condition they're in. Regardless, tell your friend not to clean them.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I got a slightly different opinion when I took them in to a dealer this morning. :facepalm: Anyhow, the grading is clearly the real trick here. If high resolution scans were included on a site like ebay...would they sell even if an actual grade wasn't assigned? Thanks again.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I got a slightly different opinion when I took them in to a dealer this morning. :facepalm: Anyhow, the grading is clearly the real trick here. If high resolution scans were included on a site like ebay...would they sell even if an actual grade wasn't assigned? Thanks again.

What did the dealer say about each coin?

He had the advantage of viewing the coins in hand. I have the advantage of merely trying to provide helpful information, without making any money off of you. ;)

Yes, you could list them on EBay in that fashion. In fact, since they are uncertified, it would be against EBay policy to make reference to any numerical grades in the listing title or description. Still, it would be better, if before listing them for sale, you knew it would be accurate to describe the coins as uncirculated, almost uncirculated or whatever.

I had the coins in individual baggies. He gave them a quick glance, didn't take them out, and immediately showed me his sleeve of $18 "common" Morgan and Peace dollars. He said mine were VG/FN and he'd pay $16 for them and sell them for $18 - which seemed like an awful slim margin to me. His "nicer" dollars were individually presented with no prices. Not having listed prices smacks of something fishy. Like the price depends on what he's trying to convince someone of. Anyhow, he also told me the toning lowers the value.

Needless to say I thanked him and walked out.

I had the coins in individual baggies. He gave them a quick glance, didn't take them out, and immediately showed me his sleeve of $18 "common" Morgan and Peace dollars. He said mine were VG/FN and he'd pay $16 for them and sell them for $18 - which seemed like an awful slim margin to me. His "nicer" dollars were individually presented with no prices. Not having listed prices smacks of something fishy. Like the price depends on what he's trying to convince someone of. Anyhow, he also told me the toning lowers the value.

Needless to say I thanked him and walked out.

I see that I started my above post before you posted your followup, but I got interrupted and finished and posted mine before I saw yours.

The dealer was not being fair. Even if the Morgan's are AU and not uncirculated, they should be easy sales at at least $20, wholesale. And he severely under-graded them, as well.

The low grade on the 1882 would be AU. It might be Uncirculated. It's hard to tell from a photo because of the toning.

The 1934 is environmentally damaged perhaps from storage in a leather purse. Nothing can be done to improve it.

The 1891 is almost certainly an AU. I think that the mint frost or surface has been rubbed.

That dealer did not give you a fair opinion. The two Morgan Dollars are not "junk box" coins that sell for minimal prices. The 1934 is a better date and does not belong their either, even though the coin is damaged.

Upstate has been offering in the low $30s for AU dollars but they have to be all there, here is a price list they sent out:

BUYING SILVER DOLLARS

Pre-1921 (Fine+) $24.00 Pre-1921 (XF+) $25.50 Pre-1921 (AU/Unc)

No damage

$31.00 1921 (Fine+) $20.50 Peace (Fine+) $18.00 Rejects/Cull

(Full Date/No Hole)

$16.00 NGC/PCGS MS63-MS65 Morgan & Peace Call $1 Silver Modern Commem

(Caps or Slab)

$13.60

(Indication)

Too bad the only way around the nearly $20 grading fee is a bulk submission where per coin costs start at $5 for MS63 for busy dealers.

The Peace Dollar, as previously mentioned by Mark, is absolutely environmentally damaged.

I think it's at least AU, though.

And the 2 Morgans... The pictures/scans are rough, but I personally think that both have a shot at UNC.

Hi all - well my friend wanted to keep most of the coins and thought slabbing and noting the name of her grandfather on the slab would be cool for her family to each get a coin or two.  I sent in the ones I thought presented the best, based on my very limited knowledge, and while I haven't got the grades just yet, one of the coins turned out to be a variant.  Of course I know nothing about it, but NGC notes say the 1899 O is a micro O, top 100.  As I said, no grade or other notes yet.  Here are scans of the coin for your enjoyment.  Sorry that they're not in better detail.

1899Front%20copy_zpsskaz3bdr.jpg

1899Back_zpsaikpiwub.jpeg

On 11/22/2016 at 11:38 AM, dannyboy said:

Hi all - I am a comic book guy and don't know a ton about coins. Please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong thread. A friend of mine recently inherited her grandfather's coin collection and she does not have any interest in keeping it. I told her I'd try to get some info as there are so many experts on these boards. I know certain years/mints are very important in valuing coins and that information can be found fairly readily. However, condition is equally important and that's where I have no skill. If anyone is willing to chime in on relative condition of these coins and how the toning/coloring affects the value I would greatly appreciate it. The collection has about 20 Morgans and maybe a dozen Peace dollars. Additionally, there are many Kennedy half dollars, Eisenhower dollars, Washington quarters, etc. that I assume don't have much value.

In any case, and I hope I'm not breaking protocol by posting 3 coins in the same post, here are 3 of the dollars in fairly representative condition of the collection. The one that is seriously colored is the most extreme example of that.

Thanks very much in advance.

fullsizeoutput_2fc5_zpsafibkqem.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc4_zps2xz9jd9d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc3_zpsb5x9ryil.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc2_zpsjvpo9yof.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc1_zpso2wbs8o7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fc0_zpsdoqzu2lz.jpeg

Just to put a bow on this...I sent 16 coins in to get graded.  Some were not worth that investment, but my friend wanted them slabbed to hand as keepsakes to family members.  What I didn't expect was 8 of the 16 to come back "improperly cleaned".  Bummer.  Anyhow, for the above 3...1882 Morgan UNC "improperly cleaned", the 1934 Peace AU "environmentally damaged", and the 1891 Morgan is MS 61.

And the 1899 Morgan Micro-O came back XF "rev scratched."