• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 P Possible DDR Jefferson?

16 posts in this topic

So i managed to score this coins off of ebay for a fair price in an older style holder. It is a pop 2 with none finer and one in 68 at PCGS. I was looking at the images when i noticed a slight doubling on the last part of the word MONTICELLO and E and CENTS. I checked it out to see if there is a known double die and sure enough NGC recognizes it as a double die reverse. The pictures i have is from the seller only since the coin is in the mail and on its way to me. Be the judge here, do you believe it is the double die?

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/jefferson-nickels/1945-p-ddr-5c-fs-801-1579/

I lightened the color of the closeup to be able to see it better.

Picture of Closeup: http://i.imgur.com/T8Q2BkF.jpg

QnxpV19.jpg

u2yEcBl.jpg

WPScSVj.png

7nmva1g.png

Yes, your coin is a DDR. Specifically, it is FS-801:

For a fee of just $15 NGC will add the variety and reholder your coin.

Here comes the dilemma...old no line holder -straight grade- new holder with DDR added.

Yes, your coin is a DDR. Specifically, it is FS-801:

For a fee of just $15 NGC will add the variety and reholder your coin.

Here comes the dilemma...old no line holder -straight grade- new holder with DDR added.

No dilemma., to me. I would not resubmit it. It speaks for itself. Even if I participated in the Registry and the coin was an important point variety.

Nice find. Add you own sticker with the variety. To me, there is considerable risk of a down-grade if you have it reholdered....the cuts on collar and cheek disqualify it from MS-68 -- just an opinion.

Nice find. Add you own sticker with the variety. To me, there is considerable risk of a down-grade if you have it reholdered....the cuts on collar and cheek disqualify it from MS-68 -- just an opinion.

Isn't there an option to just get it reholdered without regrading?

There is such an option on your part, as the submitter. However, the grading company still has the option to lower the grade and offer compensation to the submitter.

I agree. Also, it looks dark and there isn't a lot of luster showing. That could be a result of the photos; however, NGC seemed to be more forgiving of the luster if the coin was original and otherwise all there during the no-line fatty era. As a result, many of the darker, crustier pieces would downgrade today. I would reholder it on those grounds alone with the new attribution and to arrest any possible toning by the lack of a divider between the slab core and the label.

There is such an option on your part, as the submitter. However, the grading company still has the option to lower the grade and offer compensation to the submitter.

So how would i approach this in your opinion?

I agree. Also, it looks dark and there isn't a lot of luster showing. That could be a result of the photos; however, NGC seemed to be more forgiving of the luster if the coin was original and otherwise all there during the no-line fatty era. As a result, many of the darker, crustier pieces would downgrade today. I would reholder it on those grounds alone with the new attribution and to arrest any possible toning by the lack of a divider between the slab core and the label.

Im planning just to get it reholdered for the attribution, the coin was at a fair price so i went for it. Maybe i can flip it for a good profit.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Submitting the coin for VarietyPlus attribution does not affect the existing grade. The certification number will remain the same, but the variety is added and the coin receives a new holder of the current generation.

Submitting the coin for VarietyPlus attribution does not affect the existing grade. The certification number will remain the same, but the variety is added and the coin receives a new holder of the current generation.

Oh thank you.