• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Change to Registry Sets Content - Set in Stone?

5 posts in this topic

This appears to be the correct place for my question.

Is NGC's policy of only accepting coins slabbed by them starting in January definite?

I've got 15 Competitive sets some of which some are works in progress.

And I've got 3 Custom sets.

If I will not be able to add PCGS coins to my Competitive sets in about 2 months then I will have to remove all of my current sets.

I've enjoyed building and posting those sets but the new policy will remove that enjoyment.

And, no, doing a crossover is not an option because of the added expense.

I hope you get an official reply, but I wouldn't hold my breath because there are several other threads where this has been covered and AFAIK Mark Salzberg has not made any follow-up comments.

I got used to the change excluding PCGS coins in world competitive sets that was made years ago. I think many of us expected this to happen with US competitive sets, eventually. However, I really don't see the point to do that with custom sets since those don't have any "points" associated with them.

Well, I've done it.

I've removed ALL of my sets from the NGC Registry.

My Type Set (1793-1964) was ranked number 15.

My FE set was number 4.

My Gold Type Set (1834-1933) was complete.

My IHC set was two coins short of complete with a minimum grade of MS-63.

I don't believe NGC will even notice but it makes me feel better that I'm not forced into one narrow requirement.

"I don't believe NGC will even notice but it makes me feel better that I'm not forced into one narrow requirement"

You could just move your sets over to the PCGS Registry, they have forced the "one narrow requirement" from day one....