• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oops, i di it again posted by MinerJoe

11 posts in this topic

Why do you want to waste the money? The coins are certainly authentic, and that's the primary value in having them examined by an independent party.

what do you mean "waste the money"? I think the primary reason is to have them graded 3rd party is to determine mint state; I certainly wouldn't be sending Franklins in for the determination of authenticity. I hope to know that much before buying. besides, how else can you add them to registry unless they are graded?

They seem to be largely ordinary coins. If you learn to grade them yourself, you can then select only the ones that will be financially worthwhile to have authenticated and graded, then stuck in sterile plastic holders. Otherwise, you are wasting $25+ per coin for common stuff.

Depending on the grade you're looking for, you might be better served to find ones already NGC graded and compare that to your cost from purchasing the raw coins, then shipping (both ways) and the NGC grading fees.

Some look fairly nice from a distance. I think the advice to pre-grade and cherry pick the ones you think will make your desired grade is spot on.

Good luck...

you're absolutely correct. Typical ordinary coins. That's exactly why I decided to bid on them. Took a chance. Like I did on a previous set. Graded them myself. I think I did pretty good too. Turned out a Bennie that cost about $19 graded to be worth about 25X that.

we are on same page .that's is exactly what I intended to do until I looked at 'em! too many blemishes to get a good grade although I swear the '48 has FBL!

you might be better served to find ones already NGC graded

Good luck...

I think the thrill of coin collecting comes from buying raw and getting a good grade. Personally, I'd rather buy raw then pre-graded any day. but sometimes u have too. if u know what I mean.

you might be better served to find ones already NGC graded

Good luck...

I think the thrill of coin collecting comes from buying raw and getting a good grade. Personally, I'd rather buy raw then pre-graded any day. but sometimes u have too. if u know what I mean.

I was only thinking this way from a financial viewpoint to save a few bucks. I agree that there is a thrill in finding raw gems. There is also a thrill in completing your sets while saving a few bucks. It can be a big gamble spending money for certification and coming in a grade or two lower than what matches your grading goals.