• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodbye to Hard Times Tokens

54 posts in this topic

Please allow me to clear the air somewhat. I responded to Hard Times political satire token thread with what would probably be considered real politics. Since few even saw the thread and I can only recollect what I said, I can say that it was probably my response that caused the thread to be poofed. Again I am sorry for that. I enjoy many topics of discussion on this forum and for sure Hard Times topic and opinion are among the most interesting and educating there are. Please reconsider your choice to leave Hard Times, you've got much more to offer.

Sad to see you go, HT I will miss your posts. I think leaving based on the actions of one administrator (right or wrong) is a little extreme but, that is your choice.

It is not just the administrator. The environment of these boards is growing increasingly toxic, and a couple of posters in particular are driving this place into the ground (for example, any time "MrMcKnowitall" shows up in a thread, you can guarantee it is going to be a miserable and unfortunate experience). The recent decisions by NGC won't help, of course, but the NGC forums have been doing their best Hindenburg impression for a while now.

I can understand your perspective.

I was always curious that there is an ignore function that can be used by members that are not pleased by the posts of others, yet when a member publicly states they have initiated the function for a certain member, darn if the person that initiated the function can still opine about the posts of the member they have initiated the ignore function for.

As an example, and not that it is important at all, but just an observation, I recall that many many months ago, you publicly stated you had initiated the function as a preference toward my posts. I did a little checking, and I had not remembered that you publicly stated this action 4 times, and 2 times in the last 2 months. You state in the post I am responding to, and I am only quoting for the purpose of illustration of my thoughts:

"....(for example, any time "MrMcKnowitall" shows up in a thread, you can guarantee it is going to be a miserable and unfortunate experience)..."

It appears that you are not really ignoring me, because if you were, then you would not know that which you stated, if you were in fact ignoring my posts. There is the issue, because as we all know, it is not really ignoring, because the ignore function does not "hide" the post when a member is off line, and when the member is on line, the member can reverse the ignore function and read in real time. Your posts over the last few months prove this, as indeed the post I am responding to does, when you refer to me or my posts. I think it would be very helpful to members like you, if when the ignore function is used, it can not be cancelled once initiated. This would prevent the human nature response of peeking, and lack of self restraint to truly ignore the member that caused you to initiate an ignore function. It is sort of a lack of self dignity and self discipline to peek, similar to cheating yourself. We all do it, though, and then profess loudly and repeatedly and publicly about the member we original had on ignore. This in turn usually causes the cheating member (as it applies to peeking even though the ignore function is on) to not be able to control themselves and to continue to foment a strange hatred and disgust and anger, and it soon starts effecting the same type of attitude toward many other aspects and people and situations. That is no way to live. There are many other important aspects of life a person can enjoy, rather than be obsessed with another member, or the host or the business choices of the host, or a person that disagrees with you, to the point that you feel the only tool at your disposal that helps to relieve your obsession is to attempt to belittle and be discourteous.

So, I agree with you that the host could help improve the boards a little for the members lacking in self restraint and self dignity and courtesy, by making the ignore function permanent in all situations and eliminate peeking, once the member initiates the action. I would not want to be the cause of any member being irate because they can not control their self harming human tendencies.

Were you posting in the HT thread that went poof?

Since you respond in the thread, I am sure you are aware I did so. I am also sure you are aware that I publicly stated I was notifying the Moderators that in my opinion the thread was political and would lead to no good. I always state openly when I use the notify function and always state why I did so.

I missed the thread but would love to read it. When your name was brought up in this thread, I figured you were part of or most of the reason the other thread went poof. From your own words it sounds like you created the problem and turned around and reported the thread. That's just not cool.

It's like you are on a mission to kill this site. I'll stop there because I don't understand all that was said.

It is quite alright. You can voice any opinion in any manner you prefer, about a post. What is not cool is not voicing an opinion and letting a member possibly getting a strike or time out, instead of a warning. Additionally, it is not fair to other members, as political posts always have a tendency to cause discontent and bickering and further strikes and time outs being given, and hard feelings. It is a waste of time. BTW, there were 4 other members that posted similar opinions, and 2 members that voiced ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA. It was not difficult to conclude where it was headed.

Sad to see you go, HT I will miss your posts. I think leaving based on the actions of one administrator (right or wrong) is a little extreme but, that is your choice.

It is not just the administrator. The environment of these boards is growing increasingly toxic, and a couple of posters in particular are driving this place into the ground (for example, any time "MrMcKnowitall" shows up in a thread, you can guarantee it is going to be a miserable and unfortunate experience). The recent decisions by NGC won't help, of course, but the NGC forums have been doing their best Hindenburg impression for a while now.

I was always curious that there is an ignore function that can be used by members that are not pleased by the posts of others, yet when a member publicly states they have initiated the function for a certain member, darn if the person that initiated the function can still opine about the posts of the member they have initiated the ignore function for.

As an example, and not that it is important at all, but just an observation, I recall that many many months ago, you publicly stated you had initiated the function as a preference toward my posts. I did a little checking, and I had not remembered that you publicly stated this action 4 times, and 2 times in the last 2 months. You state in the post I am responding to, and I am only quoting for the purpose of illustration of my thoughts:

"....(for example, any time "MrMcKnowitall" shows up in a thread, you can guarantee it is going to be a miserable and unfortunate experience)..."

It appears that you are not really ignoring me, because if you were, then you would not know that which you stated, if you were in fact ignoring my posts. There is the issue, because as we all know, it is not really ignoring, because the ignore function does not "hide" the post when a member is off line, and when the member is on line, the member can reverse the ignore function and read in real time. Your posts over the last few months prove this, as indeed the post I am responding to does, when you refer to me or my posts. I think it would be very helpful to members like you, if when the ignore function is used, it can not be cancelled once initiated. This would prevent the human nature response of peeking, and lack of self restraint to truly ignore the member that caused you to initiate an ignore function. It is sort of a lack of self dignity and self discipline to peek, similar to cheating yourself. We all do it, though, and then profess loudly and repeatedly and publicly about the member we original had on ignore. This in turn usually causes the cheating member (as it applies to peeking even though the ignore function is on) to not be able to control themselves and to continue to foment a strange hatred and disgust and anger, and it soon starts effecting the same type of attitude toward many other aspects and people and situations. That is no way to live. There are many other important aspects of life a person can enjoy, rather than be obsessed with another member, or the host or the business choices of the host, or a person that disagrees with you, to the point that you feel the only tool at your disposal that helps to relieve your obsession is to attempt to belittle and be discourteous.

So, I agree with you that the host could help improve the boards a little for the members lacking in self restraint and self dignity and courtesy, by making the ignore function permanent in all situations and eliminate peeking, once the member initiates the action. I would not want to be the cause of any member being irate because they can not control their self harming human tendencies.

Were you posting in the HT thread that went poof?

Since you respond in the thread, I am sure you are aware I did so. I am also sure you are aware that I publicly stated I was notifying the Moderators that in my opinion the thread was political and would lead to no good. I always state openly when I use the notify function and always state why I did so.

I missed the thread but would love to read it. When your name was brought up in this thread, I figured you were part of or most of the reason the other thread went poof. From your own words it sounds like you created the problem and turned around and reported the thread. That's just not cool.

It's like you are on a mission to kill this site. I'll stop there because I don't understand all that was said.

It is quite alright. You can voice any opinion in any manner you prefer, about a post. What is not cool is not voicing an opinion and letting a member possibly getting a strike or time out, instead of a warning. Additionally, it is not fair to other members, as political posts always have a tendency to cause discontent and bickering and further strikes and time outs being given, and hard feelings. It is a waste of time. BTW, there were 4 other members that posted similar opinions, and 2 members that voiced ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA. It was not difficult to conclude where it was headed.

So you created the problem and then reported it? Your own words.

I know HT well enough to know that he did not create the problem.

I still wish to read the thread. It's out there, I'll find it.

NGC should understand it all and fix you and the others that created the problem.

Someone came up with a way to completely ignore someone. Here's the thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=394074&Number=8977916#Post8977916

That's really good info, comicdonna. On CoinTalk, when you ignore someone, it doesn't even show that they posted (there is a small, fine text at the bottom of the page that says some content was ignored, but that's it)

I have the unfortunate displeasure of still seeing MrMcKnow-nothing's posts when they are quoted, like yours above. I have to suffer through the threads where everyone is wringing their hands and beating their heads against the wall replying to him. It feels like I'm shoving hot pokers in my eyes, while any real issue or substance is ignored in the cesspool of his verbosity.

Despite the troll's insistence, I do not click on his posts... and yet I'm still subjected to their inanities.

Please allow me to clear the air somewhat. I responded to Hard Times political satire token thread with what would probably be considered real politics. Since few even saw the thread and I can only recollect what I said, I can say that it was probably my response that caused the thread to be poofed. Again I am sorry for that. I enjoy many topics of discussion on this forum and for sure Hard Times topic and opinion are among the most interesting and educating there are. Please reconsider your choice to leave Hard Times, you've got much more to offer.

I did read the OP, and I read your response. I remember the OP, and I also recall your post. I don't believe you should be apologizing for a somewhat inconsequential post that you made in regards to what HT posted. HT presented a "political satire" suggestion for a future fantasy token that was politically charged with sour grapes. For what it's worth; this is the truth. His post was deserving of being removed, and it wasn't an issue of him being egged on by any one poster. He certainly brought this on himself. I was surprised he posted this, as I believe like others that his knowledge is top notch and enjoyed. Everyone has their moments, I think we're all guilty of that, and I chalk this one up as a HT moment. Nothing to get worked up about, really no big deal as it unfortunately seems for most who haven't read the post.

Too bad for others who didn't read it though- I'm sure all of you would not be wasting your time further divulging in such a toxic matter if you had.

I did read the OP, and I read your response. I remember the OP, and I also recall your post. I don't believe you should be apologizing for a somewhat inconsequential post that you made in regards to what HT posted. HT presented a "political satire" suggestion for a future fantasy token that was politically charged with sour grapes. For what it's worth; this is the truth. His post was deserving of being removed, and it wasn't an issue of him being egged on by any one poster. He certainly brought this on himself. I was surprised he posted this, as I believe like others that his knowledge is top notch and enjoyed. Everyone has their moments, I think we're all guilty of that, and I chalk this one up as a HT moment. Nothing to get worked up about, really no big deal as it unfortunately seems for most who haven't read the post.

Too bad for others who didn't read it though- I'm sure all of you would not be wasting your time further divulging in such a toxic matter if you had.

I missed it as well

mark

That's really good info, comicdonna. On CoinTalk, when you ignore someone, it doesn't even show that they posted (there is a small, fine text at the bottom of the page that says some content was ignored, but that's it)

I have the unfortunate displeasure of still seeing MrMcKnow-nothing's posts when they are quoted, like yours above. I have to suffer through the threads where everyone is wringing their hands and beating their heads against the wall replying to him. It feels like I'm shoving hot pokers in my eyes, while any real issue or substance is ignored in the cesspool of his verbosity.

Despite the troll's insistence, I do not click on his posts... and yet I'm still subjected to their inanities.

This is so true! Even when someone is on "ignore" here, if someone else quotes them we all have to see that. For Mr. McKnow-nothing, these quoted replies are usually 3 city blocks long (he's quite a wind bag in replies), and thus they are hard to overlook when scrolling down pages to get to even the quoter's reply.

MrMcKnow-nothing is the textbook definition of an internet troll. Usually one can spot these kinds of folks because they almost never post original threads or their own content -- they just hop around to other people's threads posting extraneous and off-topic nonsense. It's really humorous how these trolls are also so often self-proclaimed "moderators" of the boards, an apparent compensation mechanism for their own iniquities and lack of self-control.

Reminds me of a character we had on these boards a few years back named "noow" -- though that poster wasn't long winded, just disrupting.

:facepalm:

This is so true! Even when someone is on "ignore" here, if someone else quotes them we all have to see that. For Mr. McKnow-nothing, these quoted replies are usually 3 city blocks long (he's quite a wind bag in replies), and thus they are hard to overlook when scrolling down pages to get to even the quoter's reply.

MrMcKnow-nothing is the textbook definition of an internet troll. Usually one can spot these kinds of folks because they almost never post original threads or their own content -- they just hop around to other people's threads posting extraneous and off-topic nonsense. It's really humorous how these trolls are also so often self-proclaimed "moderators" of the boards, an apparent compensation mechanism for their own iniquities and lack of self-control.

Reminds me of a character we had on these boards a few years back named "noow" -- though that poster wasn't long winded, just disrupting.

:facepalm:

Too bad Arch couldn't patch this info into the boards ignore system. Although, there's been talk for a while about a new forum. Maybe it will have a better ignore feature.

I'm finished with MrMc nothing. He has done a great job of trashing this forum. Actually I feel he has killed it. I hope the mods figure it out before it's too late.

I'm going to take a break from it and NGC. The fun is gone.

Sorry to hear that Larry but I understand and I'm with you on that. The forums have changed a lot recently due to the trolls to the point it's really no longer recognizable to me. If nothing can be done about the troll directly, the ignore feature really needs to be enhanced as mentioned by comicdonna. Hopefully the mods are aware of this as you mention and can set things back on course.

I like the laissez faire approach the mods usually take.

However, when dealing with trolls, I think the mods here tend to be a bit *too* laissez faire.

This particular troll should have been evicted months ago.

I'm finished with MrMc nothing. He has done a great job of trashing this forum. Actually I feel he has killed it. I hope the mods figure it out before it's too late.

I'm going to take a break from it and NGC. The fun is gone.

I'll see you on CoinTalk. That forum has some problems of its own, but it is overall a more enjoyable experience than NGC has become.

Anyone who wants a break from NGC is welcome to join us over on Cointalk (except for McKnowNothing, of course). I think you'll find quite a few familiar faces over there.

While I've NEVER "ignored" a poster I am able to not respond and am able to gloss over stuff without getting upset. Maybe because I'm older or whatever but these kinds of things (most of the time) just slide off. You should try it...it makes for easier living. lol

Talking politics and religion is a waste of time on the internet...it just gets nowhere...people's minds aren't gonna change and neither is mine. So it's probably good the moderators avoid this. However, I do believe that HTT thread should be a "sticky" thread at the top. It's pretty significant, IMO.

For disclosure if anyone gives a damn: I'm a who thinks the party has lost it's way since Reagan. I consider myself Libertarian: social liberal, fiscal conservative. I don't believe in wars. I'm agnostic religiously but I think people should believe what they want. I don't care whether "God" is part of the Allegiance nor do I care whether there's a nativity scene at city hall. I also think gays should be able to get married. NONE of these affect my life so why would I care how others run their lives as long as it doesn't affect me? If I don't want to say "God" in the Allegiance I won't...I'm not going to try to force 90% of the country who DO believe in God not to say that. That's absurd...but that's all just me.

It's the same with Dan Carr. I like the coins...a lot but I'll let you guys argue over legalities...because...well...I just don't care that much. If you all do...good for you. But I'm not going to make enemies here just because I like Carr's coins. Whatever...

I'm happy here and I would hope Hard Times continues to post...if not we'll stay in touch through PMs. Works for me. Happy day everyone! :whee:

jom

A healthy message board should be a place of diverse opinions and personalities. However, tolerance is also a necessary ingredient. Without it diversity could not exist. Without it you would have nothing more than like minded people living in a closed minded bubble.

Passion is also necessary. It drives us forward, but at times it can drive us too fast and too far as well. We are all susceptible - some more so than others. We sometimes say or do things we will later regret.

When this happens to someone, we sometimes forget we ourselves have been there and done that. We also sometimes forget the positive contributions of that someone.

On 11/12/2016 at 8:16 PM, comicdonna said:

Too bad Arch couldn't patch this info into the boards ignore system. Although, there's been talk for a while about a new forum. Maybe it will have a better ignore feature.

BonySecondaryBlueandgoldmackaw-size_rest

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/13/2016 at 12:50 PM, jom said:

While I've NEVER "ignored" a poster I am able to not respond and am able to gloss over stuff without getting upset. Maybe because I'm older or whatever but these kinds of things (most of the time) just slide off. You should try it...it makes for easier living. lol

Talking politics and religion is a waste of time on the internet...it just gets nowhere...people's minds aren't gonna change and neither is mine. So it's probably good the moderators avoid this. However, I do believe that HTT thread should be a "sticky" thread at the top. It's pretty significant, IMO.

For disclosure if anyone gives a damn: I'm a who thinks the party has lost it's way since Reagan. I consider myself Libertarian: social liberal, fiscal conservative. I don't believe in wars. I'm agnostic religiously but I think people should believe what they want. I don't care whether "God" is part of the Allegiance nor do I care whether there's a nativity scene at city hall. I also think gays should be able to get married. NONE of these affect my life so why would I care how others run their lives as long as it doesn't affect me? If I don't want to say "God" in the Allegiance I won't...I'm not going to try to force 90% of the country who DO believe in God not to say that. That's absurd...but that's all just me.

It's the same with Dan Carr. I like the coins...a lot but I'll let you guys argue over legalities...because...well...I just don't care that much. If you all do...good for you. But I'm not going to make enemies here just because I like Carr's coins. Whatever...

I'm happy here and I would hope Hard Times continues to post...if not we'll stay in touch through PMs. Works for me. Happy day everyone! :whee:

jom

We miss jom

48 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
On 11/12/2016 at 8:16 PM, comicdonna said:

BonySecondaryBlueandgoldmackaw-size_rest

Thanks for the bump. Buzz!  :hi:

26 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Thanks for the bump. Buzz!  :hi:

lol I have 'landed'

So where does one go to, "learn the ropes?"

I actually do have access to a bunch of things that might benefit from grading. 

What's weird is that I notice that this board has me 'stuck in time'... 

It is utilizing one of my old avatars and my post count from a couple of years ago.  Interesting. 

Edited by Buzzetta

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

lol I have 'landed'

It is utilizing one of my old avatars and my post count from a couple of years ago.  Interesting. 

Yeah, I got my old avatar, too.  I think this is the learn the ropes section.

Newbie Coin Collecting Questions

A forum for beginner questions about collecting coins - grading / buying / selling / pricing / rarity / packing / shipping / whatever.

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

lol I have 'landed'

So what coins do you collect?