• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit / Fake 1836 Reeded Edge Half Dollars

20 posts in this topic

My first question on the board. Does anybody know of any Counterfeit or fake 1836 Reeded Edge Bust Half Dollars being found in the coin market? I have been looking at one and the price is so good that my warning red flags are popping up all over the place. If I buy it I can send it in to get authenticated and certified, but I'm looking for some suggestions from other collectors that might save me the trouble of all that work.

In general, what is it about the coin, other than price, that makes you suspicious?

That is not to say that an unreasonably low price is not a good cause for suspicion. It usually does indicate either hidden problems or falsity.

If you wish, post a link to the coin here and ask for opinions.

Thanks for the reply.

Let me explain. I saw the coin on ebay and I think it will grade somewhere between a F12 and F15. It is a coin I would like to have but not really on my top 25 list. It would complete my 1836 year Coin Set. I figure a coin of that grade should go for about $900 to $1,300. So I put in a really, really low bid a few days ago just to see where it would go. I really had forgot about the bid and this morning I got to notification that I had won the bid. I never expected to get the coin. I don't think anyone else even bid on the coin. So I bought the coin on ebay and haven't received it yet so I do not have much information to give you. I am concerned that I missed something very obvious and I was looking to see if there were any reports of Counterfeits known to be out there. I have purchased from this dealer several times before and I have never had a problem. I have been at this hobby for a really long time and I don't usually miss much, but when I won the bid something made me feel very uneasy. Maybe I am worried about nothing and I just got really lucky on a bid.

It's impossible to say whether or not an item is counterfeit without a picture, and sometimes hard even if you post one.

In general, I believe that the Chinese will make anything that you want for a price. The former editor of Coin World, Beth Deisher found that to be true years ago.

Unless you can see the item in person and are very good at detecting counterfeits, I would not even consider buying this coin. A large number of the really good and rare coins have already been certified, and I am always suspicious of any raw coin offerings for this reason. My question these days is, "Why hasn't this coin been certified?" There is often a reason, and that reason is usually not in your favor.

EDITED to say -

Why don't you post a link to the Ebay offering?

I sure hope it is not this one - if it is, you need to be able to look at the pictures and especially the reverse to confirm what you are bidding on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1836-REEDED-EDGE-50-CENT-VERY-NICE-/162266818321?hash=item25c7db2711%3Ag%3AX6sAAOSwA3dYGiP0&nma=true&si=QxWIvZsxNB4tWSujFKTmR8ZOrsE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That is not the "Reeded Edge" type. Look at the denomination. It reads "50 C." The Reeded edge says "50 CENTS." You should have done your homework.

It is "Significantly not as described" so you can refuse it.

All of this talk of counterfeit coins got me worried about my coins, yet again.

Next thing you know I was looking at YouTube videos on counterfeit "Perth" gold bars, and it seems Ebay is rife with them. (So glad I went the route of numismatic rare coins rather than gold bars.)

Apparently, the counterfeiters rely on the fact that gold bar purchasers will never remove their bars from their plastic lot cert. wraps. And it is the lot cert. wraps that really fool you because they are, more and more, extremely well done, it seems.

But, thankfully, every coin I own, except for two (but I know they're genuine, positive), I've either crossed into NGC holders, so they've been re-checked by NGC, or my coins, their images that I have on file taken by me, when carefully compared to the Verify images at NGC, all pass multiple layers of "fingerprint-like" matching up.

You have to be more and more careful with what you come across out there. It's a war!

One coin, and only one, I bought through Ebay, and I sent it to NCS for grunge removal within some of the letters because I was so unhappy with it at the time. When it went through NCS and then through NGC, it came back with the grunge much, much lessened, and with a plus added to its grade. Now it's a beautiful 1849-D G$1 as AU58+.

Just thought I'd add a little on caution with what you buy out there.

Send it in to PCGS or NGC for grading and if it comes back as a fake get your money back from the seller

Do NOT do this. Just return it as SNAD. Seller pays shipping. And in the future, do your homework.

There is no way that coin is a "Reeded Edge Half Dollar." That looks to be a Lettered Edge half dollar which was struck on an open collar and had a different design.

Here is an 1837 Reeded Edge half dollar. The genuine 1836 will look similar to this coin.

183750centsO.jpg183750centsR.jpg

Bill:

I saw your coin and instantly looked for the "like" button to click. But that button is, of course, ATS. So let me spell it out: I LIKE YOUR COIN! Very, very nice.

Send it in to PCGS or NGC for grading and if it comes back as a fake get your money back from the seller

If the poster bought the coin in the linked EBay listing, that is terrible advice. Because that coin is not the Reeded Edge type, he would be throwing money away and making it more difficult to return the item for a refund.

Bill:

I saw your coin and instantly looked for the "like" button to click. But that button is, of course, ATS. So let me spell it out: I LIKE YOUR COIN! Very, very nice.

Thank you!! (thumbs u