NGC graded coins ONLY in Registry Sets (US and World)
3 3

219 posts in this topic

767 posts

Just look at yourselves. What's wrong with just buying the coin you like no matter what holder it's in ? Many registry coins [for instance] are not really what the label says. Just try to get them reholdered. Be ready for a shock.

10,720 posts

Just look at yourselves. What's wrong with just buying the coin you like no matter what holder it's in ?

My point exactly. The NGC was superior to the PCGS registry because it accepted both NGC and PCGS coins. Now it's a myopic marketing tool that little to do with the best of anything.

269 posts

I get what you are saying, but I find it all somewhat odd that people seem so much more angry with NGC for doing this when all they are (almost) doing is exactly the same as PCGS.  

It's like if Company A kills puppies and kittens and Company B only kills puppies but announces they are going to start killing kittens now too.  And now everyone wants to boycott B for doing exactly what A has been doing all along.  

Personally, I have very much enjoyed the customer service and responsiveness from NGC.  The registries are much more in line with what/how I collect which is why I have NGC sets.  

Mostly I have world coins though and my sets date from after the PCGS coins were removed as an option, so I never felt the pain of having the rules changed.  Perhaps I'd be more angry if I'd had a mixed world set and lost half the coins in it.  Don't think I'd run ATS though.  

Keep it as a custom set which is something I think is done very well here.  Also, having seen the new registry format preview, I think it's going to look loads better (after the first couple months of angsty-ness as people adjust to the new software.  I can tell you it will make me take more photos though--really going to love it for my pride of place custom set).

131 posts
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, MarkFeld said:

Because, whether it's true or not, the general perception is that coins bring more in PCGS holders,

As has been stated a number of times in this thread.. Why would I cross a PCGS coin to NGC, when it's worth more in the PCGS slab?

Why? Maybe because you are a collector, rather than an investor? Maybe because you collect coins, and not plastic? Maybe because, like everyone else, you say, "buy the coin, not the holder"? Maybe you just like all your slabs to be of the same type? Maybe because you have a strong dislike for the arrogant "PCGS or nothing" attitude that has existed from day one ATS?

In any event, NGC finally had to take the same step to, hopefully, resolve the value disparity, which is almost surely the result of the PCGS only registry. They did what they had to do, and all the complaining and sour grapes won't change anything. If you decide to join the Kool Aide crowd ATS, do it. I doubt if threatening to do it will change anything. Perhaps we should forget the old advice, "buy the coin, not the plastic", and use a new one, " collect the coins, not the registries", after all, many of us were collecting coins before the registries, or grading companies, existed.

10,720 posts

As a collector I used to enjoy working with the NGC registry. I enjoyed posting the pictures and doing the write-ups for each coin. I am a collector who buys the coin and no the holder. I defended NGC ATS.

Now all of that is gone because I have buy NGC coins to go in their registry, and I refuse to do that. I still buy the coin. NGC took away a small part of my enjoyment of this hobby. You can called me childish, but I have a right to angry and fed up, and I am. When the provider fails to please the customer, the customer has a right to walk, and I'm walking.

3,299 posts

All NGC would have had to do is require PCGS coins included in the registry to pass muster with cac, eagle eye, etc..  Their thesis of non-inclusion was that PCGS was watering down their grading, that would have been a sensible solution.   

10,720 posts
8 hours ago, Nutmeg Coin said:

All NGC would have had to do is require PCGS coins included in the registry to pass muster with cac, eagle eye, etc..  Their thesis of non-inclusion was that PCGS was watering down their grading, that would have been a sensible solution.   

I have never seen an Eagle Eye approved coin that I didn't like, but I can't say the same for CAC. I would rather leave things the way they are than to give more power to CAC.

7,350 posts

I agree to a point, it's NGC's registry and they could do what they want.  I would have preferred a middle ground solution with PCGS slabs allowed but with zero points, that way those like BillJones and I that just collect coins, could have a central place to display our collection.  I suppose that could still be done with a custom set, but that just makes us feel like second class citizens, since my bust half collection wouldn't be seen with all the other bust half sets, or Morgan dollars or whatever you collect.

393 posts
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, BillJones said:

My point exactly. The NGC was superior to the PCGS registry because it accepted both NGC and PCGS coins. Now it's a myopic marketing tool that little to do with the best of anything.

Too late, but a compromise might have been to allow a certain percentage of PCGS or ANACS coins in the registry. When this first came up I looked at some of the registries and saw some that were comprised almost entirely of PCGS coins. Sort of like cheating, two top registry sets for the price of one. If I were running NGC, I absolutely would have done something to end that, but would have taken a higher road.