• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC graded coins ONLY in Registry Sets (US and World)

263 posts in this topic

After viewing the custom sets I believe I now get it. Some amazing sets built of coins that I didn't even know exist ! I'm opening my eyes to some new ideas.

I have placed a few bids on both of the American Sovereigns with no luck (yet). Interesting history and they would go nicely with my soverign sets. For now - I can look at Bill's.

The nice ones that have been given low Mint State Grades, MS-61 or 62, will run about $3,000 retail. The large one, which is more common, is influenced by the current bullion price because there is almost an ounce of gold in it.

The grading is conservative on these pieces from what I've seen. The smaller piece I have in the PCGS holder, is better than the grade assigned IMO. There is a lot of open space on the large one, and I'm not sure but that some of the marks you see were on planchet before it was struck. The designs were strictly utilitarian, which made it easier for the Swiss and Lebanese counterfeiters to copy them.

Kudos to NGC for allowing PCGS coins in the Custom sets! This is great news!

I hadn't checked the forum since before Christmas so only found out about this today. Looks like the calls and emails myself and others made did some good.

This makes me feel much better about working on my Custom sets going forward and putting everything I have into them.

First and last time poster. I've built my Mercury Dime collection over the past 10 years. I finally completed it about 6 months ago. Since then, I've been slowly upgrading it. I did not notice this "only NGC coins" thing had happened until I went to add a new coin in an "other" holder. I thought, "This is a weird glitch". Then I googled it and arrived here.

Now, I look at my set that I love. Half NGC, half "other". Now what? No way am I going to have two mercury dime sets, that's just SILLY! I'm tempted to cross over. However, which way to go? Am I going to cross over to the service that I feel has betrayed me? Or to the "other" service so I can use their registry set. I want to continue upgrading my set. It's easier to pick the service with more coins in the marketplace, regardless of price / resale value. (guess which has graded more coins?)

NGC and PCGS are essentially the same. They both goof. They're both better than any of the other services. If I'm collecting the coins, I don't care what holder they're in. I used the registry set as a motivator. A fun game that ends with me having a set I'm proud of.

At a bare minimum this is going to cost me some money, or reduce my interest.

Bad decision NGC, you may have driven me into the arms of another. By the way, I plan to leave all my coins on the registry... even if I crack them out and send elsewhere, lol!

I know how this guy feels. Half of my coins are NGC and the other half are PCGS. I am sure in the future most people who do a crossover will crossover to PCGS and not tell NGC that there slabbed coins no longer exist. There will be tons of phantom coins in the NGC registry. Is it fair for someone to compete in a phantom registry set? NGC, you have goofed. You do not change the rules midstream.

If you are a collector who buys the coin, not the holder, both registries are dead for you. From now on, only the slaves to brand loyalty can play the game.

If I buy an NGC coin that works for me, great! If not, I'm not concerned about the registry any more. Both registries are not concerned with honoring the finest sets. They are only concerned with marketing and coercion. As such both are irrelevant to the study of numismatics.

. If I'm collecting the coins, I don't care what holder they're in. I used the registry set as a motivator. A fun game that ends with me having a set I'm proud of.

If you need the registry to motivate you to collect the coins, maybe you're not really that much of a collector. Especially if you need it to " have a set I'm proud of". Why can't you build a set you can be proud of without a registry?

. If I'm collecting the coins, I don't care what holder they're in. I used the registry set as a motivator. A fun game that ends with me having a set I'm proud of.

If you need the registry to motivate you to collect the coins, maybe you're not really that much of a collector. Especially if you need it to " have a set I'm proud of". Why can't you build a set you can be proud of without a registry?

You can but it's a lot more fun and educational, when you share it with others....not to mention tracking your own progress compared to other collectors.

I liken it to owning expensive jewelry but never wearing it and keeping it hidden away.

I buy the coin not the holder and right now it looks like my morgan dollar sets will be on hold. I have found with many of the morgans I have purchased, the pcgs stabbed ones were nicer so I purchased them. I doubt I will spend money on crossover for so many coins so as of now the progress on completing the sets will slow down to a crawl if I complete them at all.

Someone mentioned a National Registry, i agree, then the best of all grades can be added. Of course, there will have to be a limit as to what slabs will be allowed.

I buy the coin not the holder and right now it looks like my morgan dollar sets will be on hold. I have found with many of the morgans I have purchased, the pcgs stabbed ones were nicer so I purchased them. I doubt I will spend money on crossover for so many coins so as of now the progress on completing the sets will slow down to a crawl if I complete them at all.

Someone mentioned a National Registry, i agree, then the best of all grades can be added. Of course, there will have to be a limit as to what slabs will be allowed.

My feelings exactly. I don't want to mess with the custom sets, just too much work especially for a type set. I have enjoyed the registry immensely now I feel a bit lost.

I find myself looking at auctions and just can't pull the trigger on coins lately. I feel like switching to PCGS and giving up on NGC. Then I remember how I look at 100 different morgans to pick out the one I want so narrowing this down to just one grading company at least doubles that number.

Maybe someday i can decide. Then bite the bullet and submit quite a few coins for crossovers. So hard to justify sending in a $100 coin for a crossover but when you have looked at 100 to find it, its just as daunting to start looking all over again.

I think one of the attractions to PCGS coins was simply the ability to list the coins on both registries. This could be a big boost for NGC, possibly the right move, whether we agree or not. Kind of hard to match your adversary when you invite them into your camp. A lot of posters are mentioning going over to the other side because NGC has abandoned the collector. Odd thing is, PCGS has done this from the beginning, so, in a logical sense, they did not abandon the collector, just never cared about them in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally loyal to NGC, and, if I need slabs for coins with "Questionable" toning, I will certainly continue to use PCGS.

One thing I don't get with those that say they will go to PCGS is this........PCGS didnt even allow NGC coins in their registry in the first place so why didn't those same people threaten to cross everything over to NGC?

One thing I don't get with those that say they will go to PCGS is this........PCGS didnt even allow NGC coins in their registry in the first place so why didn't those same people threaten to cross everything over to NGC?

Because, whether it's true or not, the general perception is that coins bring more in PCGS holders,

NGC allows you to put your pcgs coins in custom sets now so people should be happy now.

We have this little side show over here that is poorly attended. You can hang out here. The main show in the big tent is only for the special people.

Do you see how offensive, condescending, and irritating that sounds?

Physics Fan, PCGS doesn't even have anything of this sort for those with NGC coins in their registry. Its all PCGS coins and thats it.

Yes it sucks that those that could compete in the NGC registry can no longer can add PCGS coins. HOWEVER, by allowing you to add pcgs coins in a custom set, you can still participate and display your coins.

I'm just so surprised by the double standard regarding the registry..........

PCGS doesn't allow NGC coins yet noone complains and threatens to cross over.

WHEN NGC does the same thing PCGS does but allows you to still do custom sets, you get so many threatening to cross over their NGC coins. What gives guys?

Edited by mkman123

PCGS doesn't allow NGC coins yet noone complains and threatens to cross over.

WHEN NGC does the same thing PCGS does but allows you to still do custom sets, you get so many threatening to cross over their NGC coins. What gives guys?

The big difference is that PCGS has always been PCGS only. That's cool for them. You've never seen me over on their registry, or defending that decision.

The reason people are getting so upset is because NGC has always been NGC/PCGS. Then they abruptly changed their rules after 15 years, because.... reasons. And then the explanation that Chairman Salzberg is offering is even more ridiculous and off-putting than the rule change!

And you'll never hear me threatening to cross over anything (PCGS only is as dumb as NGC only, in my opinion.) Crossing your coins to play in an exclusive sandbox, and paying a large fee to do it, is pretty illogical as far as I'm concerned. I'm collecting coins, not plastic slabs. If you want to gift Chairman Salzberg hundreds (or thousands) of dollars because he asks you to, y'all can go right ahead. Enjoy.

NGC allows you to put your pcgs coins in custom sets now so people should be happy now.

We have this little side show over here that is poorly attended. You can hang out here. The main show in the big tent is only for the special people.

Excuse me, but I consider the custom side of things to be the best kept secret. It is here that the essence of real collecting or lets say collecting before the emergence of registries resides. Here the collector defines the set and what goes into that set. True, there is no competition or points here, but really, isn't it those things that take away some of the enjoyment of the hobby?

Gary

Excuse me, but I consider the custom side of things to be the best kept secret. It is here that the essence of real collecting or lets say collecting before the emergence of registries resides. Here the collector defines the set and what goes into that set. True, there is no competition or points here, but really, isn't it those things that take away some of the enjoyment of the hobby?

Gary

And I agree with Gary. (shrug)

Buckle up snowflake it's going to get rough.

Forgive me if I am wrong did he not say PCGS coins in the registry before Jan 2017 would be grandfathered in to the registry? Most of my coins are NGC coins. Some are not. I bought PCGS coins that I will take advantage of the 50% crossover fee and get 2 PCGS coins crossed for price of 1. Try that across the street now. They will be submitted along with my next subscription.

Part of Brandon's opening post :"Starting in January 2017, however, if you would like to add a new coin to an NGC Registry set, it will need to be an NGC-certified coin."

Edited by rrantique

Many of the people that complained about the change claimed their registry were so they could display their collectors or for educational purposes. Well with the custom sets they can do that without the expense of doing crossovers or only being able to select coin in one type of holder when they are buying, but they aren't satisfied and still complain. For many of them it is NOT display or education, it was for the competition and chasing the numbers. They got what they claimed they wanted, and they aren't happy with it.

NGC can change the rules however they see fit... and it seems they did.

I have my 1909 set (all PCGS coins) listed on NGC just to share the set with more collectors. Don't really care about the competition, though it was fun to be recognized as having a top set for several years.

Now that my set is worth zero points to NGC, I don't care. As long as fellow collectors can check it out and enjoy it, that's what matters most.

However, if I understand it correctly, if I upgrade/add any more PCGS coins to my set, I will not be able to update those changes on the NGC Registry, even if they are worth zero points. That is disappointing and makes zero sense to not let us share coins that are worth zero points in their game anyways. Would have made much more sense to not grandfather in our PCGS coins and remove them entirely.

NGC can change the rules however they see fit... and it seems they did.

I have my 1909 set (all PCGS coins) listed on NGC just to share the set with more collectors. Don't really care about the competition, though it was fun to be recognized as having a top set for several years.

Now that my set is worth zero points to NGC, I don't care. As long as fellow collectors can check it out and enjoy it, that's what matters most.

However, if I understand it correctly, if I upgrade/add any more PCGS coins to my set, I will not be able to update those changes on the NGC Registry, even if they are worth zero points. That is disappointing and makes zero sense to not let us share coins that are worth zero points in their game anyways. Would have made much more sense to not grandfather in our PCGS coins and remove them entirely.

They changed back, you can have PCGS coins in custom sets now, old or newly added.

New to the Forum and the Registry,

So my understanding and from what I see is that PCGS slabs cannot be included in a Type Set Only NGC or NCS, but they can be included in custom sets. Why is it when I look through the top ranking Type sets I see PCGS slabs?

36 minutes ago, bbtoepper said:

New to the Forum and the Registry,

So my understanding and from what I see is that PCGS slabs cannot be included in a Type Set Only NGC or NCS, but they can be included in custom sets. Why is it when I look through the top ranking Type sets I see PCGS slabs?

Because ones that were in place prior to the rule change are allowed to stay, just no new ones to be added.

16 hours ago, Star City Homer said:

Because ones that were in place prior to the rule change are allowed to stay, just no new ones to be added.

How long do you give it before those are also not allowed? 2 years? 

How long do you give it before those are also not allowed? 2 years? 

If the day ever comes that NGC decides to push all of the PCGS coins out of the registry, I tear down my sets and leave NGC behind forever. I will not even look at an NGC coin for purchase.

I tried to carry this company's water for years on the blogs, and this is thanks I get for loyalty.