• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What grade is this coin?

17 posts in this topic

I bought this coin and I wanted your opinion: what numerical grade would you give (1-70 Sheldon Scale).

This coin is certified by NGC (not a Problem, Details, or No Grade coin). The grade assigned puzzles me and I would be interested in the collective wisdom of the group. I will post the grade, photo of the coin in holder, once I give you all a chance to vote on the grade you would assign as a grader for NGC or PCGS. If you think that the grade would be different between the two major services I would be interested in your opinion on that as well.

Thank you for looking and please vote if you have an opinion.

John

17682.JPG

See more journals by JTO

Good to Very Good. (Depends a little on what is hidden by the white prongs.)

For a small coin, yes, the stupid white prongs are highly distracting. For a large coin like this dollar, however, it really doesn't interfere much at all - certainly not enough to hinder a G/VG determination.

For me, this is a solid and easy VG-08.

Hi John,

Please keep in mind that it has been awhile since I've graded a Morgan as I don't collect them and my resale is mostly moderns, but I'm going to turn off my Ottoman Empire grading standards (stricter than US in most instances) call it a VG 8. The reverse seems a bit stronger than the obverse, but reverses do not tend to carry a coin. I feel that the obverse is just a bit too worn to warrant an VG 10 grade. However, I'd like to say that it's a pleasing VG 8. I like the gunmetal color on the coin and the wear is nice and even. I've seen VG 8's that look absolutely terrible.

As for comparing grading services, I really can't speak to that. I don't collect PCGS graded coins and I do not send coins to them.

I hope this helps!

~Tom

Could be VG8 but appears to have rim damage on obv. at 11 and 2 o'clock. Or is it just the image playing tricks? Rim dings are a real turn off for me especially on the key date.

Numisport,

Good catch! I didn't see those at first, but I think you could be right. They do look like dings, but for me, it's hard to be certain from the images.

Hi John,

I agree with the others: VG-8 looks about right, going by the descriptions in the "Official A.N.A. Grading Standards for United States Coins", 1977 (wow, is it that old?) edition that I have. The "Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection" 2nd ed. PCGS grading book seems to allow a grade of Fine (12 and 15 are not distinguished).

Alan

Could be VG8 but appears to have rim damage on obv. at 11 and 2 o'clock. Or is it just the image playing tricks? Rim dings are a real turn off for me especially on the key date.

Not sure what you're looking at, but I'm not seeing it.

There is absolutely nothing on that rim that would even remotely preclude a grade, or approach "rim damage." I see some areas where the dentilation is a bit more worn than others, but that is a far cry from rim damage.

No, there is some kind of damage near the rim. It looks like the coin may have been in a pronged holder or a belt buckle at some point. Look over the first "U" in E pluribus and the "N" in unum and you can see where the rim has been flattened out a bit. Then flip it over and you see the same sort of flattening directly opposite on the reverse, under the "N" of one. It is difficult to tell in a photo but there is definitly something going on there. I would still give it a solid VG-8

nice looking coin in my book. If your textbook is the latest official ANA grading standards reference, this is a textbook VG8. If they downgraded it for anything, it would be the rim bumps imho, so I could understand a G6 at the worst, but I have seen these graded all over the place at the lower end. The tiny scratch doesn't bother me, it's just a minor circulation scar. If it was mine and I got a higher grade than VG10, I'd be very happy with that ;)

This coin looks exactly like the VG-8 example in the Official ANA Grading Standards book. Based on your post though, I would guess that the actual grade is less than VG-8. It looks significantly better than the G-4 example in the book, so I'm guessing that maybe the scratch on the Eagle's left wing (or something else I can't see) had an impact on the grade. Does NGC assign VG-6?

Nice coin, whatever the grade.

This coin looks exactly like the VG-8 example in the Official ANA Grading Standards book. Based on your post though, I would guess that the actual grade is less than VG-8. It looks significantly better than the G-4 example in the book, so I'm guessing that maybe the scratch on the Eagle's left wing (or something else I can't see) had an impact on the grade. Does NGC assign VG-6?

Nice coin, whatever the grade.

There is a G6 grade. VG is 8 and 10.