• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 "Liberty Head" - Restrike in gold

21 posts in this topic

Have a question, I just won a 1853 "Liberty Head" - Restrike in gold at auction looked like a great coin but I have never heard of a 1853 Liberty being a restike coin. ??? Has any one heard of a Liberty Head Restrike?

It was listed as a restrike but I did not think that there was a restrike on this coin? paid $110 for the coin, but thought since this is a EU auction place they may think it was a restike but its really the real deal. Not sure

It is a counterfeit of an 1853 gold dollar. This is the most counterfeited date in the gold dollar series.

It might be worth melt if it is made of gold, but even if it is gold, it's not worth $110.

Pass if you can. Restrikes are usually made for rare coins. The 1853 gold dollar is the most common date in the series.

I'll post pictures of a genuine 1853 gold dollar if you like, but I can't do it until tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum.

As stated by Bill Jones, the coin is a counterfeit - the design details do not match those seen on genuine examples.

And while it appears that you asked about the coin here, before paying for it, shame on you for bidding on it, without any knowledge regarding what it was.

So true my friend :( I should have come here first. I am really new to this but feel in love right away. So its great having a place like this to go to for some help. I am the CEO of a major company but I would love to do more in this field and I think I will. Again thank you for the help everyone!!!!

Here is an example of the 1853 gold dollar from the Philadelphia Mint. The Charlotte, Dahlonega and New Orleans Mints also made gold dollars that year. If you are just beginning, you might purchase a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins (a.k.a The Red Book) which is in it's 70th edition, dated 2017. There is a wealth of information there although you should consult other sources for more precise pricing information

1853GoldDolO.jpg1853GoldDolR.jpg

If you would like to review examples of all of the designs from the entire U.S. coinage that were made for general circulation from 1792 to the present, check out my type sets which are linked in my signature line. There are a pictures and a brief history of every coin.

Your coin is a poorly executed and obvious fake. Unless you are an expert authenticator, don't buy any raw US gold dollars. I can't think of any other US coin series that's been more heavily counterfeited. I'm very good at spotting fake US gold coins and even I avoid any US gold coin that has not been slabbed by one of the major grading services.

Your coin is a poorly executed and obvious fake. Unless you are an expert authenticator, don't buy any raw US gold dollars. I can't think of any other US coin series that's been more heavily counterfeited. I'm very good at spotting fake US gold coins and even I avoid any US gold coin that has not been slabbed by one of the major grading services.

However, if the original poster couldn't tell that coin was a copy, he wouldn't be able to spot counterfeit coins in counterfeit holders, either.

However, if the original poster couldn't tell that coin was a copy, he wouldn't be able to spot counterfeit coins in counterfeit holders, either.

My point was that there are far better executed counterfeit gold coins. I didn't want any forum members to look at this coin and become overconfident thinking that this coin is representative of the counterfeits that are in the marketplace. There are far better counterfeits that require a good loupe to unmask their origin.

Question for the forum experts---have any of you ever heard of a US gold coin restrike? I know of several foreign gold coin restrikes (e.g. 1947 Mexican 50 Peso gold coin and the 1915 Austrian 4 Ducat gold coin) but I've never heard of the US making any restrikes. When the person who started this thread called his coin a restrike I became immediately suspicious that it might be a counterfeit.

This further reinforces the need to destroy ALL counterfeits made in Colorado or any other place.

This further reinforces the need to destroy ALL counterfeits made in Colorado or any other place.

image_zpsuoof1qgi.jpeg

image_zpstp0jpff8.jpeg

Thank you Roger!

That one is in an MS-64 holder. It came from a dealer who had it in his "crack out" box. I paid him a premium for it that was higher than the usual MS-64 price. I'm buried in it in a sense, but then I've not seen an MS-65 graded piece, priced much higher, that I have liked better.

Of late the grading has gotten loser and loser. The MS-65 bids have been coming down, but I think that is due the weaker grading standards which mean you are getting less of a coin for the grade.

I know this is totally confusing for our new member, but that's what's happening.

"...you are getting less of a coin for the grade."

Put another way, the same coin is bringing about the same amount of money regardless of the label -- approximately.