• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting 1942 experimental/pattern cent

19 posts in this topic

As some members know I wrote the standard reference on U.S. experimental and pattern coins of the WW II period. Here's an interesting example that popped up on an ATS system. You'll have to look up Cert # 81700131.

All other 1942 experimental pieces are either zinc coated steel (Philadelphia Mint) or various plastic compositions (private companies). Glass was never actively considered for one-cent pieces, but Blue Ridge Glass Corp. asked to try and were sent dies from the Mint via Colt Manufacturing Co. The decision to use zinc coated steel for 1943 cents was made before Blue Ridge made any of these.

The PCGS piece is the only unbroken glass example. The only other specimen is broken in half. No others have been located in nearly 75 years. The Judd book info. was mostly taken from old newspaper reports, not actual specimens.

Because it is one-of-a-kind, it appears than anyone collecting U.S. patterns either by design or composition would want one. In fact, it's the only U.S. pattern or experimental piece ever made in glass.

There are several collectors of these ATS, but I cannot post there. It's OK if someone wants to re-post the info there.

All other 1942 experimental pieces are either zinc coated steel (Philadelphia Mint) or various plastic compositions (private companies). Glass was never actively considered for one-cent pieces, but Blue Ridge Glass Corp. asked to try and were sent dies from the Mint via Colt Manufacturing Co. The decision to use zinc coated steel for 1943 cents was made before Blue Ridge made any of these.

The PCGS piece is the only unbroken glass example. The only other specimen is broken in half. No others have been located in nearly 75 years. The Judd book info. was mostly taken from old newspaper reports, not actual specimens.

Because it is one-of-a-kind, it appears than anyone collecting U.S. patterns either by design or composition would want one. In fact, it's the only U.S. pattern or experimental piece ever made in glass.

That's fascinating Roger! I wonder how many more of these experimental pieces survived, and if any of these may have been given to any of the employees at Blue Ridge Glass Corporation. Would that have been legal to do?

I did find an interesting Salesman's Box from the Kingsport, TN Blue Ridge Glass facility. It contains different "samples" of glass.

http://blog.retroplanet.com/blue-ridge-glass-salesman-samples/

Really neat info on the glass sample box.

All of the 1942 experimental pieces are legal to own - they are not coins.

At the time, most were treated as trash and a few were saved as curiosities. The glass example is unique, as far as I know, in being the only unbroken specimen. It is also the only non-plastic piece made by one of the private companies.

The surface has many tiny cracks caused by a red hot glass preform (or 'blank') coming into contact with the room-temperature die.

Thanks for posting this. Very cool "coin." I have to wonder what made someone think they could actually mint coins (quickly and in quantity) in glass, and then what made the person he first told that to not whack him upside the head.

Thanks for posting this. Very cool "coin." I have to wonder what made someone think they could actually mint coins (quickly and in quantity) in glass, and then what made the person he first told that to not whack him upside the head.

Have you read Roger's book? It is a fascinating story, and I highly recommend a perusal.

"I have to wonder what made someone think they could actually mint coins (quickly and in quantity) in glass, and then what made the person he first told that to not whack him upside the head."

It appears that someone at Blue Ridge Glass Co. saw mention of the plastic experiments in a trade magazine, and asked the Mint if they could participate. This all occurred so late in the year that glass pieces did not get evaluated by the Bureau of Standards (aka: NIST). The company provided a detailed report on their tests and this permits absolute identification of glass versus plastics.

If glass had been used, imagine the proliferation of "penny cuts" from broken glass cents... :)

Have you read Roger's book? It is a fascinating story, and I highly recommend a perusal.

Yes. I have it. Shot a few pictures for it, too. It wasn't handy when I first saw this.

This piece will be illustrated in the 2nd edition - but I don't know when that will be ready -- probably a long time unless some things change.