• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100% Legal Tender?

15 posts in this topic

Probably like the dollar bills with a santa clause sticker over Washington's face. They are legal tender because there is a real US dollar (or in this case a real Kennedy half dollar) under the sticker.

In the past, coins with paint or stickers, etc., remain legal tender unless deliberately mutilated or altered by overstriking or other means that misrepresents the original coin.

In the past, coins with paint or stickers, etc., remain legal tender unless deliberately mutilated or altered by overstriking or other means that misrepresents the original coin.

So I could pay my taxes with these?

Couldn't covering up an essential part of what defines legal tender (like the motto) be considered mutilation?

And, yes, I am looking for something to complain about here because I think these are a clear rip off with ethically questionable marketing. I think it's this exact kind of stuff that adds to giving coin dealers a bad rap.

The determination was that because the stickers did not permanently damage coins, and could be removed without harming the coin, that stickers were OK - However, I recall something about advertising stickers being prohibited.... There were several Coin World articles about this when pogs were popular...?

So I could pay my taxes with these?

In theory, yes. Whether the person/employee receiving the pieces is knowledgeable enough to figure it out is something different.

Couldn't covering up an essential part of what defines legal tender (like the motto) be considered mutilation?

I agree with RWB 100% here. The coin isn't permanently disfigured and can quickly be restored by giving it an acetone bath and rubbing off the paper and glue.

I still agree with the OP's premise that I don't like this at all. I could see how an unknowledgeable person could confuse this for a commemorative issue without understanding that it is just a normal half dollar with art work over it.

Here is another fun question: Should pieces like this that are in anyway altered, manipulated, or have central design elements obscured in any way be covered under the HPA? As written now, I do not think these pieces are covered at all.

Here is another fun question: Should pieces like this that are in anyway altered, manipulated, or have central design elements obscured in any way be covered under the HPA? As written now, I do not think these pieces are covered at all.

Interesting question. I would say "no", because the coin itself has not actually been altered or manipulated in any way. The coin has a sticker on it - and the sticker in no way resembles or purports to be a coin. None of the language or imagery on the sticker even closely resembles any official release. All you have to do is remove the sticker, and the coin is completely unobscured.

Definitely yes.

I've come across people who are not knowledgeable in numismatics that believe these sticker coins are valuable and collectible. One couple in particular, that are Elvis fans, bought into some fly by night series of "Elvis," Kennedy halves for $50...well, I explained to them that these coins are no way collectible...but they believed the advertiser over me and are quite pleased with this trash.

I suppose there's no win over Elvis...

Can a coin be anything other than "100%" legal tender, or simply not at all?

To answer your other question, Yes. There is the concept of limited legal tender status. In 1864 when the bronze cent and two cent were introduced they were only legal tender in amounts of less than 10 and 20 cents respectively. Trimes were only legal tender to 30 cents, shield nickels to 60 cents. After 1853 dimes quarters and half dollars were only legal tender up to $5.

However, I recall something about advertising stickers being prohibited...

Yes it is illegal to attach advertising to the coinage. When the Silver Surfer movie come out they attached sticker to I believe 40,000 quarters to promote the release of the moving and the government made them stop the distribution.

If the coin is altered, it seems to be covered under HPA. See the initial post on the thread "Back to the hobby Protection Act - Please" for quoted material.

When the Silver Surfer movie come out they attached sticker to I believe 40,000 quarters to promote the release of the moving and the government made them stop the distribution.

I remember that and I wanted one of those. After all, he's got the power cosmic. I just looked on ebay and there isn't one there. I'm surprised.

Paul

Interesting question. I would say "no", because the coin itself has not actually been altered or manipulated in any way. The coin has a sticker on it - and the sticker in no way resembles or purports to be a coin. None of the language or imagery on the sticker even closely resembles any official release. All you have to do is remove the sticker, and the coin is completely unobscured.

It is intentionally misleading, and implies U.S. Government 'approval", with the "legal" baloney wording. There is also no date.

Where is it stated it is a removable sticker, or paint, etc? Where does it state the original coin has not been subject to chemical alteration or manipulated?

The reverse is visible. And? How does this translate to a non-misleading offering?

If the coin is altered, it seems to be covered under HPA. See the initial post on the thread "Back to the hobby Protection Act - Please" for quoted material.

I don't think mere alteration is enough as it is currently written. It must be an imitation numismatic item. Does this coin reasonably purport to be an original numismatic item as that is defined by the Code of Federal Regulations? I don't think it does. It doesn't purport to look like an original numismatic item (i.e. one used in commerce/exchange). If mere alteration was enough, then every hobo nickel would be required to be marked.

I do think that separate FTC regulations on misleading advertising are potentially applicable.