• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maybe we just need a grade of "Authentic & Undamaged"

8 posts in this topic

Seems a good percentage of the letters typed on the board are complaining about the accuracy of grades given to coins. After watching the Olympics I have determined one Judge's (er, grader's) 10 or 70 is another's 8 or 68.

Do any grading company's offer an option to have your coin encapsulated and certified as "Authentic and Uncleaned" or undamaged or whatever? They can even include a high res neutral light photograph of each side for an additional dollar.

In my position of just collecting relatively inexpensive coins I can live with just knowing what I'm buying on ebay is really a $20 Flying Eagle or whatever. The fun is picking one with good eye appeal for whatever quality I want to pay for.

This should hold down our costs tied up in grading and resubmitting thus putting more $'s into coins and the hobby itself which would help our coin values.

The first and most valuable mission of the major "TPGs" is authentication. Just my opinion. "Grading" is just their opinion.

ANACS used to authenticate coins without grading them. Major probkems were mentioned. This was a long time ago; I do not know if they still do so.

What did they do wrong? They all essentially authenticate them now without too many sneaking by, right?

ANACS used to authenticate coins without grading them. Major probkems were mentioned. This was a long time ago; I do not know if they still do so.

What did they do wrong? They all essentially authenticate them now without too many sneaking by, right?

Back when the ANA owned ANACS and they issued a photo-certificate you could pay to get a coin authenticated with grading as an extra fee. ANACS was originally intended as an authentication service but so many ANA members requested a grade opinion for their coins that the ANA added that as an extra service. ANACS would assign a separate grade to the obverse side and the reverse side of the coin.