• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$2.50 Liberty for my 1858 Registry set

14 posts in this topic

I was born in 1958, so for years now I've been working on putting together an 1858 business strike set. There are 29 Type/Mint Marks in the set, of which two (both gold) are out of reach for me. The rarity, and hence the price, is all over the boards for the other assorted Type/Mint Mark's. Because of this I decided not to go with a specific condition throughout the set, but rather a set (top) price for each Type/MM. I'm finding about 1 or 2 coins a year. Here's my $2.50 Liberty for the set. It is graded NGC MS62/CAC. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1858_62250o4t_zpsfbfc835f.jpgbc1858_62250R3t_zps9804cdd2.jpg

That is a gorgeous AU coin. Very attractive! Congrats on the purchase!

Do you mean AU as in gold? It's graded 62. Don't tell me you've started using Roger's grading system!

I missed the part where he gave the grade.... Oops.... yeah, I totally meant that as "AU" for gold...

No, I was looking at the fields, and the pattern I see in the fields makes it appear like there is wear in the fields. There may be something else going on that gives this appearance - maybe Sy can tell us more. Couple that with what appears to be discoloration or wear on the feathers of the eagle (especially his neck). If I were guessing the grade from those photos, I would have absolutely said an extremely attractive AU-58.

...I was looking at the fields, and the pattern I see in the fields makes it appear like there is wear in the fields. There may be something else going on that gives this appearance - maybe Sy can tell us more. Couple that with what appears to be discoloration or wear on the feathers of the eagle (especially his neck). If I were guessing the grade from those photos, I would have absolutely said an extremely attractive AU-58.

The coin is not "dirty" gold, so I suspect at some point in time in the past someone "processed" it. However, the lines you see are die polish lines, other than that the fields are clean. There is no wear on the devices. I would have preferred a dirty gold piece, but I am QUITE happy with this one.

I was born in 1958, so for years now I've been working on putting together an 1858 business strike set. There are 29 Type/Mint Marks in the set, of which two (both gold) are out of reach for me. The rarity, and hence the price, is all over the boards for the other assorted Type/Mint Mark's. Because of this I decided not to go with a specific condition throughout the set, but rather a set (top) price for each Type/MM. I'm finding about 1 or 2 coins a year. Here's my $2.50 Liberty for the set. It is graded NGC MS62/CAC. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

Hmm...I was born in 1958, I'll be following your additions with a lot of interest. Do you have a link to the set? BTW nice quarter eagle.

Thank you guys for your kind words!

Hmm...I was born in 1958, I'll be following your additions with a lot of interest. Do you have a link to the set? BTW nice quarter eagle.

1858 Set

Click on the Gallery tab to see pix. (I just added 3 pieces; $20, $20 - S, and G$1, in the last week, and just have the Heritage pix for them. I'll get them properly imaged sometime in the next year, the good Lord willing).