• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1939-P Jefferson (Type 1) Reverse of 1938 in MS67 posted by James G. Berline

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Philadelphia mint generated a whopping 120 million nickels in 1939 but only about 10% (12 million) were with the reverse of 1938.

The 1939-P Jefferson had such a huge mintage where it clearly reflects that both the obverse and reverse master hubs were revised from the 1938 coinage,the obverse at the beginning of 1939 and the reverse a little later.Searching for 1939-P Rev of 38 nickels are relatively scarce across allgrades,heavily worn

pieces are mostly indistinguishable as to their reverse subtype, full steps are extremely rare.

------------------------------------------------------------

Jaime Hernandez:

In 1939, the Mint struck 1939 Jefferson nickels with two different reverse designs.The first design isreferred to as a Reverse of 1938. The second design is referred to as a Rev

of 1940.

The transition took place due to minor flaws on the reverse design. The original design had weak and curved step details

on the Monticello building located on the reverse design of

the coin.The easiestplace to notice the curving on the steps

is on the center below the last step on the Monticello,

where it curves significantly compared to the new design.

Therefore, on the new design or the 1939 Reverse of 1940

thedesign displays sharper details and straighter set steps

on the Monticello building on the reverse of the coin.

The 1939 Jefferson nickel with a Reverse of 1938 must have

been produced for a very short period of time, since it is scarcer of the two different reverse varieties. It is important to consider that distribution of which reverses were used by each mint vary greatly.Philadelphia mint generated a whopping 120 million nickels in 1939 where only about 10% were with the reverse of 1938.

17654.jpg

See more journals by James G. Berline

Another nice one Jim....... I have been searching for the last 5 years for an MS67 Full Step of this date/mm and have yet to see one. According to PCGS they have certified 16 examples of this sub type in 67 FS ( NGC - none) but to date I have not been able to find one. Every one I have seen come up at Heritage or Great Collections is the rev. of 40 sub type that is mislabeled or a rev. of 38 that in my opinion is not a true full stepper.

Doug

good morning Doug,,,, how have you been,,? An yes' these 2 I just posted are really nice looking coins.

I was also searching for that 1939 rev of 38' in a fullstep' but realized it may

take years before I'd get that lucky in finding one. Good luck in your search'

you're going to need it!

The 39-S Rev of 40' in MS67 that I just posted was a real treat in finding that

one' I've been search probably 6 to 7 years looking for one like that. An yes,

It would've been fantastic to find one like that in a fullstep as well, but I settled

for this one. I wanted to have all MS-67's in all the Reverses' ,,, I finally got

there,,,, Anyways' thanks for touching base with me' on the Jeffs' its

getting pretty thin trying to find anyone in our area of interest. Does Paul

(Lehigh) ever come in an visit? You have a great day my friend' Jim Berline

Among 1939 proof nickels, the 1938 reverse seems to have been available only through January 9. I have no data for the circulation strikes.

Among 1939 proof nickels, the 1938 reverse seems to have been available only through January 9. I have no data for the circulation strikes.

I have searched all of the references I have on Jefferson Nickels (Jefferson Nickel Analyst, Jefferson Nickel Doubled Die Varieties, and the Official Red Book for Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels) and have only found estimates of the MS quantities. It would be fantastic if accurate information would turn up.

Doug

The book on proof coins from 1936-1942 has almost complete data for every die and delivery of proofs. You will not find the information anywhere else because all of it is new to the hobby. (Publication awaits finding the money to pay for printing.) It does not cover circulation pieces, except for minor comments.