• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12 MINUTES OF CHAOS posted by Jackson

22 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

record time for me to acquire a limited edition mint product

As a sign of providence, I happened to have the rare day off of work on the same day as the anticipated Standing Liberty design Gold quarter ounce coin's release.

I spent the prior hour before the 12:00 start time to review my US Mint account, make sure my billing card number was right and my current address/PO Box was also listed.

After this, I simply found busy work around the house to kill the final 40 minutes or so until the frenzy started. I set the timer on my phone just in case...walked the dog, took out some chicken to thaw for dinner, picked a few ripe tomatoes, collected the eggs from the chickens and emptied the dishwasher......and still 18 minutes left !!

Okay, so I logged in early and visited some of the mint's resource pages...products...news releases and events...finally, down to the final 2 to 3 minutes !!

I clicked on the "What's New" link, opened the SLQ 1/4 oz AU page and waited for the "remind me" button to change to "place order" or Add To Cart.

Twelve o'clock finally struck and my screen remained the same--I hit refresh and got the horror of "this page cannot be displayed". I re-logged into the website and after 5 tries I caught a volume gap and was directed to the Mint's Homepage. I opened the drop down and selected the Gold SLQ--the page opened on the first try !!--Now I'm cooking !!--NOT---

I add the item to my cart and proceed to checkout--"This Page Cannot Be displayed" again...crud !!--I return to the prior page and the coin is still in my Cart--sweet !!

Three more tries and the checkout page is in view! I won't drag the story through the next 7 or 8 mins of chaos--suffice it to say I had to enter my card number, match the "billing address" with the "shipping address" several times all typed out in the forms over and over and each time I got to "Place Order" the "This Page Can't Be Displayed" or some error I made in my hurried frustration prevented the final step--and when the page refreshed, all of my typed info had to be re-typed again !!

Finally on the 7th or 8th "Place Order" click, my confirmation number was done and order confirmed-SUCCESS!

Twelve minutes is not so much but with mega-dealers somehow scoring dozens of the "one per household" coins, I was sweating it there after a few minutes.

I had to work on the date of the release of the Mercury Dime Commem gold coin and was unable to order one during my half hour lunch break from 12 to 12:30--eventually buying an SP69 pre-slabbed for quite a markup at $219.

17651.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

@ Mark--because the website asks you to select the payment option, when I checked the one with my name and Master, the number, security code and expiration didn't pop up--just blank slots....then the website asks to confirm the billing address for the card, when I clicked "same as shipping" the website posted ERROR...so I had to type in the card number again as the ERROR wiped my prior entries away...none of my pre-saved account info would automatically fill in, and finally I just retyped every address, card number, shipping and billing from scratch instead of using their stored info--this finally allowed me to place the order....it appears as if their system is either poorly designed en toto or when they get a lot of volume that using pre-saved info causes errors in the system or unable to access while the system is overly busy.

Either way, it appears to be miles ahead of many other government websites I've heard nightmare stories about--like the ACA, 6 month crash, multi-billion dollar fiasco........

Their web site apparently uses multiple dB calls for user information. If you had waited after selecting the payment option you have on file, the other fields would have been populated. By re-entering, you probably invoked a queue return.

Why did you have to enter your card number after you'd already checked ahead of time to make sure it was right?

The mint website is clunky and inefficient. I had to do the same thing.

many others did the same thing. your not alone

@ Mark--because the website asks you to select the payment option, when I checked the one with my name and Master, the number, security code and expiration didn't pop up--just blank slots....then the website asks to confirm the billing address for the card, when I clicked "same as shipping" the website posted ERROR...so I had to type in the card number again as the ERROR wiped my prior entries away...none of my pre-saved account info would automatically fill in, and finally I just retyped every address, card number, shipping and billing from scratch instead of using their stored info--this finally allowed me to place the order....it appears as if their system is either poorly designed en toto or when they get a lot of volume that using pre-saved info causes errors in the system or unable to access while the system is overly busy.

Either way, it appears to be miles ahead of many other government websites I've heard nightmare stories about--like the ACA, 6 month crash, multi-billion dollar fiasco........

Thanks and sorry to hear that. I had to refresh a couple of pages a few times, but did not have to enter my CC information again. At the time, I didn't realize I was lucky.

congrats on success and all respect for your collecting interests but I honestly can't understand why anyone would waste their time on the mint, especially for this piece of gold they call a coin that looks more like a cheap token to me. For my money, I'd rather just own a nice genuine MS66 or 67 SL quarter... oh, wait a minute- I have one of each in my type set.. And if the price guides list this under SL quarters like they did the 'dime' I'll never buy one again. What sensible person would call the gold merc a 'dime' anyway?

"all respect for your collecting interests but"........and then insulting and demeaning of my purchase/tastes, which actually shows no respect.

I bought one too, but bought one already graded from a dealer (preorder). I don't mind paying the extra premium to avoid the hassles of shipping, paying the grading fees, waiting, seeing the grade revealed and (usually) being disappointed it wasn't one grade higher, then waiting some more for the registered mail to snail its way across the country... that's exciting if I've cherrypicked a coin for submission, less exciting when I just take whatever I get from the Mint.

"all respect for your collecting interests but"........and then insulting and demeaning of my purchase/tastes, which actually shows no respect.

That was my first thought too. Beauty is subjective and often times expensive. I guess that's why there are so many registry sets for different tastes and interests. A quarter ounce of pure gold will be a nice asset some day.

Enjoy the "quarter"...I know I will when it arrives.

a bit sensitive aren't we? I didn't demean you, I demeaned the mint, which I think has produced more trashy or juvenile designs in the past pair of decades than in the mint's entire history. And I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion but it is a public forum, is it not? The gold copy of a SL quarter with the added weight and fineness text makes it look cheap, that's all I was saying. As for your tastes, that's fine with me- I liked the gold buffalo when it came out too, but at least they called it what it was- a bullion piece. I collected mercury dimes in gem FSB way back before numerical grading or the FSB designation- I simply went for full strikes. To call that little gold disk with a copy of winged liberty on it a mercury dime is an insult to this self-resepcting collector but I don't get my panties in a bunch over what someone else likes, dislikes or thinks. I meant nothing personal. Happy collecting my friend...

I was successful just one time in my life when It comes to these hot coins. I snagged a 2000 $10 Library of Congress Bi-metal proof set for around $450 (might have been a bit less) if I remember. After that I always had issues and so now I just wait until the hype wears off (hopefully) and I can get it for cheaper. Plus I want the 70 so buying from the mint is no guarantee on that.

This strategy has worked numerous times except for a few coins that are now worth way more then their initial sale price. Buffalo coins anyone?

The SLQ is one of America's greatest iconic designs and I am happy they are commemorating the century but I also would have liked a Silver version all proofed out, that would be sweet.

congrats on success and all respect for your collecting interests but I honestly can't understand why anyone would waste their time on the mint, especially for this piece of gold they call a coin that looks more like a cheap token to me. For my money, I'd rather just own a nice genuine MS66 or 67 SL quarter... oh, wait a minute- I have one of each in my type set.. And if the price guides list this under SL quarters like they did the 'dime' I'll never buy one again. What sensible person would call the gold merc a 'dime' anyway?

Lucky One....why do you have to rag on everyone who doesn't collect exactly what fits your personal collecting tastes? I've seen you do this on here numerous times......what is the point of it? All it does is insult people, pretty needlessly. We all like different things. We all have different tastes. Some of us like moderns, myself included, and there is nothing wrong with that.

To everyone else......I got mine!! My girlfriend was the one who fought with the Mint's website for me as I was unavailable to be online at the sale time....she fought valiantly and snagged one for me!! I'm thrilled to death and I know I will love the coin!! I owe her a nice dinner for sure!! I hope that everyone here who wanted one of these got one, they're going to be awesome!

Happy Collecting Everyone!

~Tom

Lucky One....why do you have to rag on everyone who doesn't collect exactly what fits your personal collecting tastes? I've seen you do this on here numerous times......what is the point of it? All it does is insult people, pretty needlessly. We all like different things. We all have different tastes. Some of us like moderns, myself included, and there is nothing wrong with that.

To everyone else......I got mine!! My girlfriend was the one who fought with the Mint's website for me as I was unavailable to be online at the sale time....she fought valiantly and snagged one for me!! I'm thrilled to death and I know I will love the coin!! I owe her a nice dinner for sure!! I hope that everyone here who wanted one of these got one, they're going to be awesome!

Happy Collecting Everyone!

~Tom

the real question is why take something that was obviously not meant to offend (what else do you think I meant by "congrats on success and all respect for your collecting interests") as a personal insult? If I meant to insult, why would I waste the energy to write it? I think people have become small minded and bitter, so bitter that they have a victim mentality and actually look for things to be insulted by. Do you think it fair to tell me in so many words that I shouldn't voice any opinion that goes counter to yours or his? Please, give me a break...

I didn't have the time to get one. -

Didn't have the time? I'm not sure but I think they are still on sale. I haven't seen anyone mention that they were sold out.

The 12 minutes may have been chaos, but it isn't as bad as some of the previous sales have been. The website works a lot better than it did a few years ago.

but with mega-dealers somehow scoring dozens of the "one per household" coins,

Why do you think the website was so bogged down? Hundreds of dealers with dozens of people each all trying to buy them at the same time. That's thousands of coins going straight from the mint to the dealers. No different than a lot of collectors out there that order multiple coins using differnt cards and that have their friends order coins for them. Just a matter of scale.

I didn't have the time to get one. -

Didn't have the time? I'm not sure but I think they are still on sale. I haven't seen anyone mention that they were sold out.

The 12 minutes may have been chaos, but it isn't as bad as some of the previous sales have been. The website works a lot better than it did a few years ago.

but with mega-dealers somehow scoring dozens of the "one per household" coins,

Why do you think the website was so bogged down? Hundreds of dealers with dozens of people each all trying to buy them at the same time. That's thousands of coins going straight from the mint to the dealers. No different than a lot of collectors out there that order multiple coins using differnt cards and that have their friends order coins for them. Just a matter of scale.

sorry Conder, you addressed this to the wrong guy bud...

It would be a simple matter to analyze the ordering data during the first hour of trading. But I'm not sure what would be gained.

!

Twelve minutes is not so much but with mega-dealers somehow scoring dozens of the "one per household" I'm sure someone could answer how this happens; if not here send me a PM. And please don't start with they pay people to order for them or stand in line. These special coins get into dealer hands, TPG's and in the market way too fast. It's not an occasional problemThanksDavid

Jackson

I just placed my order today without a problem. That said and with the track record of these sales by the mint, I can't say as I blame you or anyone for that matter placing your orders in the first minutes of the sale. With that volume of buyers their web site while better, is still not quite there. Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy your coin as I will mine.

Gary

!

Twelve minutes is not so much but with mega-dealers somehow scoring dozens of the "one per household" I'm sure someone could answer how this happens; if not here send me a PM. And please don't start with they pay people to order for them or stand in line. These special coins get into dealer hands, TPG's and in the market way too fast. It's not an occasional problemThanksDavid

you got it bud- collectors may set the market but dealers have the ultimate privilege and run the show, sort of like the relationship between the federal government and taxpayers ;)