• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twenty-two rolls of Kennedy Half Dollars from Bank

17 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I went to a local bank to cash in some change and on a whim I asked the teller if they had any half dollar rolls. I’d never searched rolls before, and I wanted to see if I’d have any luck with finding any silver clads. The teller indicated they had 22 rolls of halves; and I told her I’d take them all. She was quite happy to get rid of the rolls and said, “finally, we can get rid of these stupid things”! When I got back home and opened these; I was very pleased with the results.

Turns out, there were 17 silver clad half dollars, and a 1964 Kennedy! This was the first time that I found a ’64 Kennedy in change and couldn’t believe my luck that this coin, let alone the silver clads, hadn’t been yanked out of circulation by now. Many of the rolls had mint state ’71’s – ‘74’s and these rolls probably sat around in the vault for several years so probably why I was able to find the silver.

I then proceeded to look for varieties after checking for silver. After a couple hours I found a beautiful 1974-D, DDO-001. The condition is superb considering it was in a circulated roll- I’d put it at a MS65. I also found an unusual 1974 proof like Kennedy, probably a MS63-64. I’ve never seen a proof like 1974; but, I’m sure some board members have who collect clad coinage.

This was a lot of fun, and good learning experience putting the Whitman Cherypickers Guide to use.

Pictured below are the 1974-D DDO and 1974 proof like.

164888.jpg.41c9d3fb66d74d210d75b42563055257.jpg

164889.jpg.1e3f28dcb5ffaf2ad9417e83d72d21f1.jpg

164890.jpg.a80202f6f583d65b6388e329480c12c9.jpg

164891.jpg.52e947d8913209977f518aae0fe8a8cb.jpg

164892.jpg.43f1668373159bf238ff964e92afd36a.jpg

Beautiful prooflike and amazing results... about 6 or 7 years ago now I asked for my first box of half dollars (it had 24 silvers, one 90%, 23 - 40%)... i was hooked and over the course of the next year i amassed roughly $5 worth of silver halves all bought for Face Value. Although we are talking about 2010-2011 so the price of silver was roughly 2X's what it is now.

Coin roll hunting is actually what got me started in the coin business...

Its a great hobby that can be very rewarding, few hobby's can actually make you money.

PS-if you are interested in letting go of that 74 proof like, i collect PL Kens and would be very interested. PM me if you want to entertain it. I pay strong for something like that.

Congrats again.

Chris

Thanks all! I'm keen to understand that lightning probably won't strike twice but going to try my luck again. Nutmeg- I took my searched halves to a different bank to exchange, and was told by the teller they didn't have any half dollars. Worst yet, they had a new coin counter that didn't count half dollars...so, the teller and I had to count out in stacks of $5 of over 200 bucks in Kennedy's. Well, we got quite a few looks from people coming in! No matter...they don't need to know, and can think what they want. Ha Ha!

I went out again today to try my luck with searching Kennedy Halves. I went to 4 banks, and only 3 had rolls. I picked up 4 rolls at the first three banks, and 26 rolls at the last- total of 30 rolls today.

Results were somewhat lopsided to the previous hunt. Not disappointed; however, I got the feeling I was searching through mostly the tailing's of other collectors, or, astute tellers.

I found only 5 silver halves- 3 of the silver clad 40%, and interestingly 2 of the 90% that included a 1952 Franklin! I also found a 2001-P that appears very thin for a Kennedy half dollar. Below are pictures of finds, and open to feedback for clad collectors on the 2001. I'm curious if the Philadelphia mint may have made foreign coins that year and if a foreign planchet was mixed in with U.S. production?

Total to date: 20 silver clads @ 40% 3 silver 90%

164927.jpg.bea2e1035d87aab7416e63d2d23a09ad.jpg

164928.jpg.b4af84a4ead1b70e0203bf1afd3f398b.jpg

164929.jpg.f154554a9364f2a8350c343725585700.jpg

164930.jpg.9dcfd921ced5ba5c382e74e7f46b45e1.jpg

I'm curious if the Philadelphia mint may have made foreign coins that year and if a foreign planchet was mixed in with U.S. production?

US mint stopped striking coins for other countries in 1985. After 1984 the only coin struck for another country was the 2000 Iceland 1000 Kr for a special set marking the 1000th anniversary of Leif Eriksons travels to the New World. It had the 1000 KR and an ASE. Iceland was going to strike the KR but since the set had an ASE in it we insisted on striking both coins.

Also I believe we are the only country that uses the copper nickel clad composition. At one time Panama die, but we were striking their coins on US planchets.

I think if you check the weight you will probably find the coin is normal.

Thanks for the information Conder101- I did have this weighed today and it was 11.14, nothing unique as normal weight is 11.34. Very strange; must be different minting effect on edge which gives the appearance as being "thin." I was hoping for a half that may have been struck on Quarter stock.

33 rolls searched today- no silver, if I find any varieties I'll post.

Another 13 rolls searched- no silver. It was a very depressing hunt, not because I didn't find any silver, but of this mechanical damaged coin...I'm sick to my stomach.

I found a 1973-D proof like showing on end of a roll...to bad it wasn't just one coin down from end. It otherwise would have been a Gem BU.

164964.jpg.781953140c6eeb0ce20b41abb15bbe4a.jpg

164965.jpg.c1181fac96f3065bb21263b8c97ac793.jpg

Well, I haven't stopped my search of Kennedy's. I cleared out the County of halves and even crossed over to Indiana in my search of silver, varieties, and other unique finds. I'm on a tight budget at the moment; so I've been getting my coin fix with searching rolls and looking for varieties. What a great learning experience through this process!

I've picked up another dozen silver clads since I posted last, another 90%, plus varieties, and prooflikes. I thought I'd post my finds once a month with rolls searched including discoveries.

Hope okay with members; if there's any data you'd like me to include let me know. I'm recording rolls purchased, silver found, varieties found, unique found, and BU's kept; plus face value spent. I'll post a tally in different thread titled: Month End Report Halves Searched.

Here are a glimpse of today's finds:

165093.jpg.c3a0c067af2efcf2be3643852622d420.jpg

165094.jpg.12d1cd0e54bf9b5365dbf90db176e71d.jpg

Beautiful prooflike and amazing results... about 5 or 6 years ago now I asked for my first box of half dollars (it had 24 silvers, one 90%, 23 - 40%)... i was hooked and over the course of the next year i amassed roughly $5 worth of silver halves all bought for Face Value.

Its a great hobby that can be very rewarding, few hobby's can actually make you money.

Well, I haven't stopped my search of Kennedy's. I cleared out the County of halves and even crossed over to Indiana in my search of silver, varieties, and other unique finds. I'm on a tight budget at the moment; so I've been getting my coin fix with searching rolls and looking for varieties. What a great learning experience through this process!

I've picked up another dozen silver clads since I posted last, another 90%, plus varieties, and prooflikes. I thought I'd post my finds once a month with rolls searched including discoveries.

Hope okay with members; if there's any data you'd like me to include let me know. I'm recording rolls purchased, silver found, varieties found, unique found, and BU's kept; plus face value spent. I'll post a tally in different thread titled: Month End Report Halves Searched.

Kennedy halves pictured are proofs rather than prooflikes.

Kennedy halves pictured are proofs rather than prooflikes.

The two Kennedy halves in my hand are indeed proofs- 1969-S's. The Kennedy half pictured in the post above the one you referenced has the 1973-D business strike PL. I tried to put a description on those '69-S proof last month when posted but the tag didn't go through. I'll post a summary of what I've found soon- just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks,

Rich