• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A plan to make nickels at New Orleans - 1867

15 posts in this topic

Interesting...

As I have postulated in the past, elemental analysis of the vintage "privately-made" (micro-o VAM family) Morgan Dollar counterfeits indicates that the trace elements in those coins are often consistent with silver mined in Mexico.

The authorizing legislation for the New Orleans Mint specified it was to make coins of gold and silver, base metal coins were not included. This was also referred to when rejecting the Charlotte Mint's request to manufacture silver coins for local circulation, since Charlotte and Dahlonega were only authorized to produce gold coins.

Longacre sent some aluminum nickels to Sec of Treasury about a week before Linderman sent the copper piece describe in his letter. Longacre did not describe the design in his letter. Was that the "Indian" design or something else? He implied it was the size of a half-eagle.

Interesting...

As I have postulated in the past, elemental analysis of the vintage "privately-made" (micro-o VAM family) Morgan Dollar counterfeits indicates that the trace elements in those coins are often consistent with silver mined in Mexico.

I do not wish to derail this excellent thread, and let's continue this in a new one if you could start it with information on the elemental analysis, but has anybody ever considered the possibility that the "Micro o" family of New Orleans counterfeits were secretly made in an official Mexican mint which would have had the equipment to do so? The model coins could have come from New Orleans simply because it was close to Mexico.

TD

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Tom's theory regarding the origin of the O-Mint silver dollar counterfeits is an interesting one. Ditto for the comments of Dan about their composition being similar to that of native Mexican silver. It's a bit ironic, as the San Francisco Mint coined 1898-dated pesos in 1949 on behalf of the Mexican government.

Getting back to the original posting, let's speculate as to where the O mintmark would have been applied to Shield Nickels. I'm guessing that it would have been underneath the legend stop (dot) at 7:30 reverse, as was ultimately done with the Liberty Head Nickel in 1912.

Tom's theory regarding the origin of the O-Mint silver dollar counterfeits is an interesting one. Ditto for the comments of Dan about their composition being similar to that of native Mexican silver. It's a bit ironic, as the San Francisco Mint coined 1898-dated pesos in 1949 on behalf of the Mexican government.

Getting back to the original posting, let's speculate as to where the O mintmark would have been applied to Shield Nickels. I'm guessing that it would have been underneath the legend stop (dot) at 7:30 reverse, as was ultimately done with the Liberty Head Nickel in 1912.

Yes if the existing design were used. Or the mint mark could have gone above the date on the Indian head design.

Being a southern mint and immediately following the Civil War, New Orleans folks might have wanted it right in the center of the shield.....?

Yes if the existing design were used. Or the mint mark could have gone above the date on the Indian head design.

For the proposed design, it would have fit nicely either above or below the wreath bow. For the giant shield, the only good space for it on the reverse is at 7:30 or 3:30. The obverse has much more space. I wonder how long it would have taken someone to gold plate these had the design been adopted.