• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL TIME!!!! slabed verses raw

SLABBED OR RAW  

2 members have voted

1. 1. SLABBED OR RAW

24 posts in this topic

I voted both. But it's been a long journey of discovery for me.

I'm finding that I really like raw coins. Especially because you can handle them to a limited extent differently from a slab. Not to mention the extra $$$ needed to slab them if you didn't buy it certified!

I have started another full set of lincolns (well, never finished the first one, got about 85% there) in a dansco-like album. I made the executive decision that all coins > 1935 will be uncirculated and those below will be circulated. Mostly to keep things inexpensive. I like it. I like being able to see rows of coins all together in a small amount of space. And I have a complete raw roosie silver set in an older album (1959 to be exact). It's great and the coins are awesome! I filled up many of the leftover holes with some BU roosies I had.

But I also like slabs. They're great for valuable coins or ones with delicate surfaces. I just don't trust myself there. And if they get stolen somehow, I'll have a serial number to give the police. And I can hold it at all angles without worrying about dropping it or accidentally putting a print on it.

Neil

I collect gold and silver slabbed coins mostly. There are about 20% of my collection that are raw coins, but most are slabbed----NGC, ANACS, and PCGS slabbers.

I have the Morgan series, but not in any one company. Most of the issues are PCGS, and NGC, with a few ANACS thrown in (the 93s is an ANACS, and probably overgraded).

for me i like only coins

if the coins i like

are in an ngc/pcgs slab well just a plus as this is where the market is as of late

sincerely michael

i personally collect raw coins! i do own some slabs, but, prefer to purchase them raw, then send them in for grading!!

mike

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I collect both. Interestingly, here in Tokyo some of the local dealers will sell a slabbed coin from PCGS/NGC/ANACS at a grade or so lower than the stated grade. For example, a slabbed AU-50 will often be sold as an EF-40 or 45. On the other hand, I've noticed a tendency for the same dealers to overgrade raw coins.

I`d have to vote slabbed. But, only by one of the top three services. I consider todays market to be only a glimpse of what is in store for tomorrows. Certification of a coin by one of these services brings multiples of what comparable raw pieces do. That quite simply is CASH. As you know when money talks people listen. I predict that raw ,uncertifyable coins. Will drop from the primary coin market altogether and form a secondary or sub-level coin market. Valued far less than even lower grade certified coins. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I collect both. Interestingly, here in Tokyo some of the local dealers will sell a slabbed coin from PCGS/NGC/ANACS at a grade or so lower than the stated grade. For example, a slabbed AU-50 will often be sold as an EF-40 or 45. On the other hand, I've noticed a tendency for the same dealers to overgrade raw coins.

Wow, must be nice! I was reading the latest Coin World yesterday and an advertisement showed a 1916 D dime graded VF 30 by PCGS that was actually just a nice VG. The difference in price is over $1500. So one would have to pay $2500 for a $1000 coin. There lies the catch 22. Most buy a slabbed coin in order to guarantee authenticity but must submit to vastly overgraded market coins in order to do so. The answer is to learn all of the diagnostics for the 1916 D Merc. and buy it raw.

In the same add, PCGS graded a 1921 Walker as Fine when it was just VG.

Maybe I should move to Japan. Aragato! crazy.gif

I voted both...once I start paying out good money or there is a great difference of money between a 65 and 66 then I will only accept a slab by the top 3 companies, so I know I got what I am paying for. Once a coin gets above a 62 I admit I need the experts help. There are also a few coins in each large set where counterfitting is known and again will only accept a slab. Slabs are well worth their cost if and when it comes time to sell them.

Tip

I prefer raw, but I think that's because I collect for fun and not as an investment. Also perhaps because I don't have hundreds to spend on slabbed coins. But, I really like to be able to hold the coin ... it just makes it feel more like it's a part of my collection as opposed to standing out in the middle of no where on its own.

That being said, I do think that if, down the road, I decide to go for rarer and older pieces - like collecting 2 or 3 cents in AU or better condition - I'll go for slabbed simply because they're guaranteed not to be phony and because, though I consider myself a pretty good grader, miscalculating by a single grade can lead to a drastic difference in price (like 1863-65 silver 3 cents double in price from MS-60 to MS-63).

I collect both as well. I prefer slabbed for the more valuable coins as a protection against my own fits of coordination and the ravages of heat, moisture, and time.

Most of my high$ items are slabbed. If for some reason I need to liquidate in a hurry(I hope that never happens) it would be easier to get top dollar.

That being said, I do like to fondle some of the really old stuff; gives me goose bumps knowing that I can actually handle some item that a historic figure, or just someone from a remote age has handled.

I prefer NGC slabbed coins. At least the coins I get are authentic. If I got a high grade replica from a reputable dealer, I can get a refund. Also the slabs offer better protection for coins than the air-tites or mint capsules, of conservation quality materials backed by research done in Smithsonian.