• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1934-D Buffalo nickel.

24 posts in this topic

Yes it's raw. I just could not resist. You can think it's AT if ya want and to be honest, I don't really care if it is or not. But, I think it's just fine. Not only that, but I think it'll grade quite high. Blazing luster to boot.

Thanks for looking.

1934-D%20NEON%20TONED%20BUFF%20013_zpsiltm0fid.jpg

1934-D%20NEON%20TONED%20BUFF%20019_zps6wbbr1ws.jpg

I can't say for certain without seeing it in hand but I can tell you the reverse color is NT as far as I'm concerned. The obverse looks odd but that's probably just the photo....

If you didn't pay much you probably shouldn't worry too much about it....

jom

..But, I think it's just fine....

It looks naturally and beautifully toned to me. However, I think your grading is on the tight side. It looks like a solid XF to me. :D

Yes it's raw. I just could not resist. You can think it's AT if ya want and to be honest, I don't really care if it is or not. But, I think it's just fine. Not only that, but I think it'll grade quite high. Blazing luster to boot.

Thanks for looking.

:applause:(thumbs u

#4 - damage. The coin looks to me like a poorly detailed piece, not EF or circulated. (Note the marks on high points that seem more consistent with planchet texture. If the marks were from circulation they should appear over all the surface, not just the "flat" high areas.)

What's going on with the numeral 4 ?....Almost looks like some sort of overdate....

Trust me it is a beaut and better than most you'll see for the date.

I noticed the same thing with the date and I'm not sure what the deal is there, strange looking "4" for sure.. Maybe a new variety.

Thanks to all for your comments. I happen to find this Buff quite lovey and natural.

I think this is a beautiful buff, if you want it slabbed try ngc first, then pcgs but in the end who cares? It is what it is. If it came back three times as AT (last one to anacs) I would just put it in a coin world slab holder with my own label.

As the late Walter Breen said. this coin “carries its own credentials”.

good job!

It looks naturally and beautifully toned to me. However, I think your grading is on the tight side. It looks like a solid XF to me. :D

Who said anything about grade. I missed what previous slab it was in.

Who said anything about grade. I missed what previous slab it was in.

Above the image of the coin appeared the quote "Yes it's raw. I just could not resist. You can think it's AT if ya want and to be honest, I don't really care if it is or not. But, I think it's just fine. Not only that, but I think it'll grade quite high. Blazing luster to boot.

Thanks for looking".

I copied and pasted the "But, I think it's just fine" part of it and tried to make a joke about the coin grading better than "fine". ;)

PCGS could give high grade to coins like this that are not fully struck while NGC would likely not. I'm always skeptical of nice coins like this one being raw and would guess it's cracked out of AT slab or possibly MS 66 slab with hopes of higher grade. I do think it is a beautiful coin though !

PCGS could give high grade to coins like this that are not fully struck while NGC would likely not. I'm always skeptical of nice coins like this one being raw and would guess it's cracked out of AT slab or possibly MS 66 slab with hopes of higher grade. I do think it is a beautiful coin though !

That is an average to slightly above average strike for a 34-D. Even on 66 graded examples, most were not struck well enough to remove planchet defects from the central hair detail, or show the accent hair at all. For gem status you don't compare the strike to that of a proof, just the overall quality of the coins produced for that year. Consider a similar case in 1940s San Francisco minted walkers.

If it were a 34 philly, that is probably a 64 due to strike. If it were a 34-S.. ;) it would have stunk, had they actually struck any.

It certainly is an outstanding original Buffalo. Matches up more with 65's than 64's auctioned on Heritage. Once graded, do you plan on posting the result? Sure would be interesting!

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=51+790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=1934+D+MS65++Buffalo+nickel&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&ic4=ArchiveTab-071515

Nice Buff.  Should get a "kick up" with the toning.  The fields are nice and clean.

1934-D was notorious for weak centers on the Obverse, as well as an ill defined "LIBERTY".  Usually the reverse is way better struck on this date and helps carry the grade.  This is a very tough coin to fine nice, even circulated.  Most of the grades in MS center around 63.

Minimum 65

I have a 38-D with similar colors on the obverse (not as much though) so Im going with the NT crowd. As for grade, I cant grade Buffaloes to save my life. Hope it comes back MS for ya!