• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dcarr over strike question.
1 1

322 posts in this topic

Has the deceased equine not been flogged enough.

I don't like Ike dollars, so when I see a thread about ike dollars, I don't bother posting in it. It really is that simple.

The problem I have with your argument is that the laws are written to protect the average American who has no specialized knowledge of numismatics or authentication and is unlikely to be aware of the materials. Think lowest common denominator here - the average flea market buyer, the type that buys overpriced junk on eBay, the type that fall prey to the TV hucksters - to them, how would his pieces be different in deceptiveness to the Alibaba special? There is nothing to keep someone from removing his pieces from its original packaging and throwing it in a 2x2 and misrepresenting the item. Even if the purchaser does not know about the full story of some of his coins or the rarity that a real piece would have (like the 1964-D Peace Dollar), and mistakes them for trial or experimental pieces?

I see your point; but this is a very broad generalization of novice collectors who buy pieces through common avenues where deceit and fraud do unfortunately take place. Not just with coins; but any, and every imaginable marketed collectible, or, piece of junk marketed as collectible. I honestly can't see how a limited production run of a Carr fantasy piece could end up in this marketing mill- however great, or, small. Could it happen? Anything is possible; but the probability more than likely low.

It seems copies of originals are the problem as with any item that has value, or, perceived value. Ironically; the Chinese have made reproductions of Carr's pieces too.

Remember the 1970-s Washington Quarter overstruck on a Canadian Quarter and was slabbed by NGC? This received a lot of buzz some month's ago. There were quite a few fraudsters marketing 1970 Quarters on ebay for thousands of dollars when that piece gained publicity. Who's to say some people bought these quarters worth .25 cents but paid $1,000? It's a shame; but an unfortunate example of mass fraud.

There are learning curves with all hobby's. I've made mistakes as many others have, and that's par for the course. I don't personally see the comparison with Mr. Carr's pieces, and the fraud that is ongoing with Chinese counterfeits. This is my opinion and I respect yours as others.

quote: [i]The wheels of justice turn ever so slowly...[/i]

I hope they are moving towards the Far East!

Edited by PocketArt

Has the deceased equine not been flogged enough.

I don't like Ike dollars, so when I see a thread about ike dollars, I don't bother posting in it. It really is that simple.

Fair enough, but at least one poster (the original poster in fact) was clearly trying to start a debate or discussion related to the legitimacy of Carr's work and the implicit premise that PCGS slabbing these pieces would legitimize them. See below...

...is this the monthly D.Carr thread where the topic is foisted upon us to keep the fuel fed to the fires so we don't forget?

No. I think it's actually pretty relevant to both sides of the argument here. I think it's pretty telling that PCGS is grading these pieces. I find it amusing the haters are now sick of the topic or no longer discussing it. Sounds like sour grapes to me. I highly doubt PCGS would touch these if they felt in any way they were counterfeit. That to me is worth a discussion.

How are his pieces materially and significantly distinguishable from China's finest?

The date.

And the remaining traces of the underlying host coin design.

And the web page (production blogs) with diagnostic pictures and production quantities and details.

I may be mistaken in this but I think I saw a Chinese knockoff of the real Carr overstrike 1964 peace dollar at a small show recently. The dealer had nothing but the coin; none of the original packaging materials that would indicate that it was a genuine Carr overstrike. It looked terrible, not like anything I had ever seen that was from the Moonlight Mint.

Counterfeits are out there. Beware.

I may be mistaken in this but I think I saw a Chinese knockoff of the real Carr overstrike 1964 peace dollar at a small show recently. The dealer had nothing but the coin; none of the original packaging materials that would indicate that it was a genuine Carr overstrike. It looked terrible, not like anything I had ever seen that was from the Moonlight Mint.

I agree: Carr's pieces are more deceptive than most of China's finest (1964-D Peace Dollar especially), which makes them that more dangerous IMHO.

Edited by coinman_23885

Yes, there are low-quality Chinese-made "1964-D" Peace Dollars out there.

They were not struck over genuine Peace Dollars, and they are not made of silver. But I would not call them a "knockoff" of mine. The only part that is my own original design is the size, style, and placement of the "64" digits. The Chinese pieces have crudely-shaped "64" digits, unlike mine. And a few of the Chinese pieces were actually produced at the same time I first came out with mine in 2010 (but most came a little later in 2012).

Comparion of Chinese and Carr "1964-D" Peace

They were not struck over genuine Peace Dollars, and they are not made of silver. But I would not call them a "knockoff" of mine. The only part that is my own original design is the size, style, and placement of the "64" digits. The Chinese pieces have crudely-shaped "64" digits, unlike mine. And a few of the Chinese pieces were actually produced at the same time I first came out with mine in 2010 (but most came a little later in 2012).

So most of the Chinese pieces are admittedly of lower quality and therefore less deceptive than your own pieces? I applaud your honesty.

Also, how can you say that the "size," "style," and placement of the "64" digits are your own? Realistically, didn't you just emulate the "6" from a 1926 Peace Dollar and a "4" from a 1924 or 1934 Peace Dollar and slap them together after "19" to create your "fantasy" date? And the Mint Mark is a copy of a "D" from either a 1922-D, 1923-D, 1926-D, 1927-D, or 1934-D Peace Dollar, no? Also it seems that the placement and size is restricted by other Peace Dollars or else your coins would not be sought after by collectors who want as close to the original as possible (or so they say and their defense why "COPY" shouldn't be placed on your coins)?

Edited by coinman_23885

I agree: Carr's pieces are more deceptive than most of China's finest (1964-D Peace Dollar especially), which makes them that more dangerous IMHO.

"Dangerous" ?

You mean like someone could throw one off the top of the Empire State Building and hit a person in the head ?

Other than that, they are not dangerous at all.

The "dangerous" counterfeit is the one that is clandestinely produced and marketed as a genuine original, with intention to defraud.

I just did a Bing search for "1964 Peace Dollar". Several of the top 10 search results (including the top one on the list) show pictures of my over-strike and clearly indicate it as a "Daniel Carr over-strike" or similar. This is hardly clandestine.

One of the top 10 results from the Bing search is a link to current eBay auctions for "1964 Peace Dollar". There are 9 Chinese pieces currently, and none of the Carr version listed. Checking completed listings, there were 39 Chinese and 5 Carr. All 5 of the Carr auctions clearly stated in the title that it was a "Daniel Carr over-strike".

The reason that I bring this up is to illustrate that it is in the best interests of sellers to clearly indicate when the item for sale is a "Daniel Carr" piece.

The Chinese version typically sells for about $25 or less (sometimes considerably less). But the five recent sales of the Carr version have brought prices ranging from about $235 to $575. So this is why it is advantageous for sellers to properly list them as "Daniel Carr" over-strikes because there is a market for them, at prices far exceeding the Chinese versions. And potential buyers are actually searching for them on eBay using the "Carr" search term.

Like it or not, the "Carr 1964-D Peace Dollar" over-strikes have become a type of original numismatic item in their own right. And a rather famous one at that.

So most of the Chinese pieces are admittedly of lower quality and therefore less deceptive than your own pieces? I applaud your honesty.

The Chinese pieces are produced in a clandestine fashion. The maker of them does not publish diagnostics or other production details about them. They are often offered for sale without any information as to their source. In that regard, the Chinese pieces are more deceptive than mine.

In contrast, I provide a lot of information about mine. A couple years ago I was awarded the A. George Mallis (of "VAM" fame) Numismatic Literary Award for an article I wrote about the "1964-D" Peace Dollar over-strike project. That article appeared in a newsletter for the Society of Silver Dollar Collectors (SSDC).

Also, how can you say that the "size," "style," and placement of the "64" digits are your own? Realistically, didn't you just emulate the "6" from a 1926 Peace Dollar and a "4" from a 1924 or 1934 Peace Dollar and slap them together after "19" to create your "fantasy" date? And the Mint Mark is a copy of a "D" from either a 1922-D, 1923-D, 1926-D, 1927-D, or 1934-D Peace Dollar, no? Also it seems that the placement and size is restricted by other Peace Dollars or else your coins would not be sought after by collectors who want as close to the original as possible (or so they say and their defense why "COPY" shouldn't be placed on your coins)?

You obviously have not compared the "4" on a 1924 or 1934 to the one on my "1964". The Chinese pieces copy the style of the "4" from the 1924/1934 coins. Mine does not. I chose the style, size, and placement of the "6" and "4" to be complementary to the rest of the design.

The "D" does not match any earlier years of Peace Dollars in size or shape. I chose the parameters for the "D" based on what I thought would make sense for 1964. I also intentionally double-punched the "D" in a specific way, so as to function as an additional identifier.

Edited by dcarr

The Chinese pieces are produced in a clandestine fashion. The maker of them does not publish diagnostics or other production details about them. They are often offered for sale without any information as to their source. In that regard, the Chinese pieces are more deceptive than mine.

In contrast, I provide a lot of information about mine. A couple years ago I was awarded the A. George Mallis (of "VAM" fame) Numismatic Literary Award for an article I wrote about the "1964-D" Peace Dollar over-strike project. That article appeared in a newsletter for the Society of Silver Dollar Collectors (SSDC).

You obviously have not compared the "4" on a 1924 or 1934 to the one on my "1964". The Chinese pieces copy the style of the "4" from the 1924/1934 coins. Mine does not. I chose the style, size, and placement of the "6" and "4" to be complementary to the rest of the design.

The "D" does not match any earlier years of Peace Dollars in size or shape. I chose the parameters for the "D" based on what I thought would make sense for 1964. I also intentionally double-punched the "D" in a specific way, so as to function as an additional identifier.

So the people that buy from HSN, flea market, or estate sale (those most likely to fall prey) are going to be smart enough to check all of this online including your website? Moreover, you expect them to be experts in die diagnostics for Peace Dollars versus your pieces? With all due respect, that seems a bit far fetched to me. Nothing says that a piece must be an exact replica to be labeled a counterfeit. Courts have actually refuted that position multiple times.

So the people that buy from HSN, flea market, or estate sale (those most likely to fall prey) are going to be smart enough to check all of this online including your website? Moreover, you expect them to be experts in die diagnostics for Peace Dollars versus your pieces? With all due respect, that seems a bit far fetched to me. Nothing says that a piece must be an exact replica to be labeled a counterfeit. Courts have actually refuted that position multiple times.

A person that doesn't do their due diligence before spending their money is likely to get burned, whether it is buying a coin, a watch, a used car, hiring a handyman/contractor, etc.

The type of people you describe are far more likely to get burned buying a cleaned/polished coin sold as "UNC" than anything else in the coin arena.

But suppose somebody did pay $200 for a "1964-D" Peace Dollar ?

There are three possible outcomes:

1) The piece is of Chinese origin. They got burned - value is less than $20.

2) It is a "Carr" over-strike. Good for them - market value is about $300+.

3) The coin is a genuine original. They now have a coin that they can't legally posses or sell.

As I indicated previously, the "Carr 1964-D Peace Dollar" over-strikes have reached a level of notoriety such that they have achieved the status of a type of original numismatic item. They are well-known altered coins not "counterfeits".

This is the weakest argument ever! So this imaginary person is going to run to his double wide and pull 10 grand out of his sofa cushions to buy a coin some huckster is selling him at the flea market! lol! Have you ever been to a flea market? on top of that the guy doing the swindling would need to pony up a good chunk of change to get a real Dcarr '64! And even if he did, He's not going to a flea market to sell it. You're grasping at straws here!

A person that doesn't do their due diligence before spending their money is likely to get burned, whether it is buying a coin, a watch, a used car, hiring a handyman/contractor, etc.

The type of people you describe are far more likely to get burned buying a cleaned/polished coin sold as "UNC" than anything else in the coin arena.

But suppose somebody did pay $200 for a "1964-D" Peace Dollar ?

There are three possible outcomes:

1) The piece is of Chinese origin. They got burned - value is less than $20.

2) It is a "Carr" over-strike. Good for them - market value is about $300+.

3) The coin is a genuine original. They now have a coin that they can't legally posses or sell.

As I indicated previously, the "Carr 1964-D Peace Dollar" over-strikes have reached a level of notoriety such that they have achieved the status of a type of original numismatic item. They are well-known altered coins not "counterfeits".

Are you hereby giving up your right to sue under any state's lemon law on something just because you didn't do your due diligence and inspect what kind of oil was in any vehicle you ever bought?

If you cared about faking people out you would obviously stamp all your coins. You are a skilled designer and could find a way to tastefully do it.

Sometimes my faith wavers. But if there is a good Lord he watches what you do at work.

Are you hereby giving up your right to sue under any state's lemon law on something just because you didn't do your due diligence and inspect what kind of oil was in any vehicle you ever bought?

If you cared about faking people out you would obviously stamp all your coins. You are a skilled designer and could find a way to tastefully do it.

Sometimes my faith wavers. But if there is a good Lord he watches what you do at work.

Only six states have a "lemon law" for used cars: CT, MA, MN, NJ, NM, NY. If you live in any of the other 44 states and you buy a used car, you DEFINITELY have to perform your due diligence or you may very well get stuck with a "lemon" and without recourse. I reside in CO, so I would have nothing to "give up".

Also, a malfunctioning vehicle is a danger to the driver, passengers, and the general public. A malfunctioning coin is not. So they are completely different, except that "buyer beware" is generally the case with all things.

This is the weakest argument ever! So this imaginary person is going to run to his double wide and pull 10 grand out of his sofa cushions to buy a coin some huckster is selling him at the flea market! lol! Have you ever been to a flea market? on top of that the guy doing the swindling would need to pony up a good chunk of change to get a real Dcarr '64! And even if he did, He's not going to a flea market to sell it. You're grasping at straws here!

That is another (perhaps better) way of communicating the essence of what I wrote. hm

This completely contradicts your other post that the supposed person being ripped off (hypothetically at a flea market) wouldn't be smart enough or have access to the Internet, so how is this poor innocent victim going to know about the $10,000 award to view the coin? I haven't been to a flea market so forgive me if PCGS has fliers set up at random flea markets looking for the elusive 1964 peace dollar.

I can't even get my NORFED pieces slabbed even though the government has clearly stated its legal for collectors to own. Yet another example of how one must be connected to achieve desires. One more example of why I moved my registry sets to custom and have been attempting to withdraw from the boards. As I've aged and started making more money thus obtaining more impressive coins I've found more pleasure taking my hobby back into the closet if you will?. My last two posts were deleted, no strike just deleted. The last one was in French, as was the OP and politely as for as my posts can be; it too, gone. Has ATS began to moderate here as well?

Edited by HashTag™

I can't even get my NORFED pieces slabbed even though the government has clearly stated its legal for collectors to own. Yet another example of how one must be connected to achieve desires. One more example of why I moved my registry sets to custom and have been attempting to withdraw from the boards. As I've aged and started making more money thus obtaining more impressive coins I've found more pleasure taking my hobby back into the closet if you will?. My last two posts were deleted, no strike just deleted. The last one was in French, as was the OP and politely as for as my posts can be; it too, gone. Has ATS began to moderate here as well?

The Norfed (Liberty Dollar) issues are listed in Krause "Unusual World Coins", 6th Edition, United States section.

According to PCGS, they will slab anything listed in that section of that catalog. But it remains to be seen if they would actually do that if one was submitted.

The Norfed (Liberty Dollar) issues are listed in Krause "Unusual World Coins", 6th Edition, United States section.

According to PCGS, they will slab anything listed in that section of that catalog. But it remains to be seen if they would actually do that if one was submitted.

That's interesting especially as the NORFED pieces were legally adjudicated to be counterfeits. I guess if PCGS will slab those and the electrotype I linked earlier, your pieces shouldn't face any different treatment in my humble opinion.... Good luck!

Only six states have a "lemon law" for used cars: CT, MA, MN, NJ, NM, NY. If you live in any of the other 44 states and you buy a used car, you DEFINITELY have to perform your due diligence or you may very well get stuck with a "lemon" and without recourse. I reside in CO, so I would have nothing to "give up".

Also, a malfunctioning vehicle is a danger to the driver, passengers, and the general public. A malfunctioning coin is not. So they are completely different, except that "buyer beware" is generally the case with all things.

You do a fine job rationalizing why you can't figure out how to tastefully put your name on or mark your product sir. It stretches your logic a bit. It also makes me hope I don't let a penny out of my sight in front of a man like you.

FWIW, my analogies have been on if a bit extreme. Fruad is fraud. Thanks to your business coin newbs are one step further away from just being able to buy a piece of history without consulting the internet or an expert.

If that is the type of legacy you WANT to leave behind because you are too ashamed to put your name on your product so be it. I would be ashamed to be an offspring or business partner of yours so I understand.

"Buyer beware" is the most fitting epitaph for your marker according to your quotes.

You do a fine job rationalizing why you can't figure out how to tastefully put your name on or mark your product sir. It stretches your logic a bit. It also makes me hope I don't let a penny out of my sight in front of a man like you.

FWIW, my analogies have been on if a bit extreme. Fruad is fraud. Thanks to your business coin newbs are one step further away from just being able to buy a piece of history without consulting the internet or an expert.

If that is the type of legacy you WANT to leave behind because you are too ashamed to put your name on your product so be it. I would be ashamed to be an offspring or business partner of yours so I understand.

"Buyer beware" is the most fitting epitaph for your marker according to your quotes.

Weak. The entire post.

mark