• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spinks retro/patina collection fantasy coins...
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I sent in a handful of my pieces for slabbing before my $150 credit for NGC membership expired. Below was the nicest / highest graded of the bunch.

I thought some of you may wish to see what the current labeling of these looks like from NGC. They are very clear that they are fantasy issues -- contrary to the way that PCGS labels these.

2810474-001_Fantasy_Crown_silver_X81_zpsu26igvpr.jpg

I finally sent mine in...this is the 'goldine' one (aka brass).  Still working on the copper and silver ones (both of those came back as 67 UC).

(since then I've also had a board-software enforced name change--eyeroll).

nnC7iwjIRkqF9B4DbRxY_combo.jpg

Edited by Star City Homer

9 hours ago, morganthebrave said:

Has any collector able to provide a complete mintage figure for the whole patina collection. Are there any errors/ varieties found? 

You’re going to have to be more specific.  

INA has produced dozens if not hundreds of different Fantasy pieces over the years.  Only a few of the designs produced by INA were sold in what Spink called the “Patina Collection” Auction in July 2001.  

Do you have a question about a specific design from that specific auction?  Or are you asking about all of the INA pieces produced over the years? 

B63CB691-757B-4FD3-AC3C-D2CA9149368F.thumb.jpeg.71755c1b8e654c3f856002640c5a9793.jpeg

Hi brg5658

Thank you for your reply. 

I did not know that INA produced more than what was in the Spink catalog 'patina collection' . 

If there is more designs available for a collector outside of what was in the 'patina collection' sold by Spinks, then do you perhaps know of where to obtain this information on all their mintages (in reference to only the Patina  series) or varieties?

I have tried to obtain a copy of the above 'patina collection'  catalog of Spinks but it is somewhat scarce and hard to come by. 

Appreciate some feedback - thank you. 

49 minutes ago, morganthebrave said:

Hi brg5658

Thank you for your reply. 

I did not know that INA produced more than what was in the Spink catalog 'patina collection' . 

If there is more designs available for a collector outside of what was in the 'patina collection' sold by Spinks, then do you perhaps know of where to obtain this information on all their mintages (in reference to only the Patina  series) or varieties?

I have tried to obtain a copy of the above 'patina collection'  catalog of Spinks but it is somewhat scarce and hard to come by. 

Appreciate some feedback - thank you. 

You are correct that the catalog is hard to find.  It took me 5 years and I found a copy from a catalog dealer in Portugal! 

If you have specific pieces of interest I can provide mintages for you.  Your question is too broad for a general answer given that dozens of designs and variants were described in the Spink sale. 

The sale itself was really something. What to bid on, there was just so much. I got three of the gold crowns: two of the Wyons, one in matte and the other brilliant, of Edward VII and George V, and a "Wreath" of Edward VIII. I recall they went for 500 pounds each, and that one of them was over 42 gms.!

Hi 7.jaguars

It is almost impossible to obtain a copy...I have emailed Spink, searched far and wide. A scanned copy would be awesomely appreciated! 

Brg5658 indicated INA minted others that form part of the patina collection.  Most interesting - love the designs and have a large collection of Edward VIII medals and fantasy coins myself (I have a journal/ listing in the NGC collection board and a journal as well) hence the interest in obtain some more information covering the Patina collection. 

A little bit off the subject - Our South Africa Numismatics online forum will be discussing the fantasy pieces of Edward VIII on the 17th November 2020 with a VIP guest talk and I am sure that the Edward VIII Patina pieces will be talked about in the forum amongst other things. 

Ah, wonder if we could access that talk from the states?  Well, PM me an email address and I could send you some photos if that would do. Quite a number of pages by recall and will have to find that catalogue that is buried somewhere...LOL. I will have a look around later this evening if you like and take pictures if that would do as my scanning device would require cutting up the catalogue itself.

If I can locate the catalogue, I will see if somehow I can scan it but as I said that might be difficult without cutting it up which I can't do at this point.

BTW, do you have any information on the Pretoria mint holdings of proofs and patterns prior to deaquisition? I have a number of coins from that gotten from numerous and varied sources. In particular I have been trying to track some 1927 GB patterns of the new silver coinage; I haven't slabbed them as I do not believe the TPGs will recognise them....Also, I am curious about some of the other GB proofs and patterns 1902 through however late they went. HA had a 1922/4 specimen proof set of GB go through their hands almost 20 years ago which also referenced them, etc.

Edited by 7.jaguars

15 hours ago, 7.jaguars said:

Ah, wonder if we could access that talk from the states?  Well, PM me an email address and I could send you some photos if that would do. Quite a number of pages by recall and will have to find that catalogue that is buried somewhere...LOL. I will have a look around later this evening if you like and take pictures if that would do as my scanning device would require cutting up the catalogue itself.

If I can locate the catalogue, I will see if somehow I can scan it but as I said that might be difficult without cutting it up which I can't do at this point.

BTW, do you have any information on the Pretoria mint holdings of proofs and patterns prior to deaquisition? I have a number of coins from that gotten from numerous and varied sources. In particular I have been trying to track some 1927 GB patterns of the new silver coinage; I haven't slabbed them as I do not believe the TPGs will recognise them....Also, I am curious about some of the other GB proofs and patterns 1902 through however late they went. HA had a 1922/4 specimen proof set of GB go through their hands almost 20 years ago which also referenced them, etc.

Thank you for the reply  7.jaguars

If you or any other fellow Numismatist is  interested in hearing a talk from Known coin Dealer Richard Lobel (who we have approached to be the guest speaker) covering the Edward VIII fantasy pieces over the years, then we could link you/ fellow interested Numismatists on our numismatic online forum on the 17th November which starts at 3pm South Africa time. At best, if you are not able to hear the discussion, then we do live recording and you could then access that and hear/ see the discussion taking place (probably be about an hour/ hour and a half. I have yet to confirm his availability for the 17th but so far all seems fine. I am not sure it will cover any of the Patina items and if it did, probably the Edward VIII pieces. Those interested please message me. Some background as to what you collect, email and any Numismatic society you belong too. We can then ping you an email invitation or send you the recordings. 

It seems scanning of the catalog of the Spinks Patina collection may involve some hard work - apologies upfront if it does to you or any other collector willing to help scan.

WRT Pretoria Mint. Its been pretty tough finding out information but there seems to be a new find by Professor Malan and as such, the information that you are looking for may very well be coming out in a book/ catalog early next year....or at least some of what you are looking for.