• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anybody give me info on a 1964 British penny

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone I bought a bag of mixed coins from an auction recently and I found 1 that I never came across before. And I would like to know some more about it if anybody could help ?

It's a British penny from 1964 but it's not a usual penny copper colour it's silver coloured ?

it has queen Elizabeth II one side with the words (GRATIA.REGINA.FD:+ELIZABETH.II.DEI) going around the edge.

And brittania on the other side says ( one penny ) one word each side and the date at the bottom (1964)

I have done some searching on the net and can't find another like it ?

I found one website that said there were none minted in 1964 ? Could it be a fake ?

Would somebody fake a 1 penny ?

Any kind of info would be good many thanks

Stewart.

I tried to upload pictures but couldn't figure it out I will give it another try tomorrow

Hi Stewart,

I would imagine the penny is real, but the surface has been altered. I sort of remember eons ago that people used to "silver" US cents using mercury. Can't really say without looking at it in hand....

Hi Stewart,

I would imagine the penny is real, but the surface has been altered. I sort of remember eons ago that people used to "silver" US cents using mercury. Can't really say without looking at it in hand....

In the late 1950s I could buy mercury by the ounce at my local drug store, put a drop or two in the palm of one hand along with a Lincoln cent, and roll it around with the thumb and forefinger of the other hand until it was completely coated.

If one of those cents were found in an abandoned building today an army of troops from the EPA and OSHA would probably be called in with Hazmat suits, the coin would be "decontaminated" and the building would be ground up, bagged and buried under some mountain in Nevada.