• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on selling a circulated buffalo nickel set

10 posts in this topic

I built a buffalo nickel set in F-XF a few years ago. Im now considering selling it in order to afford upgrades in my collection. I got the better dates graded by our host and I bought one already certified(13S T2-ANACS XF40-very solid for the grade), but the rest are raw in a dansco album. I know I can sell them piece by piece, but that will be tons of work(and I suck taking photos) but may result in the best prices overall. Thought about consigning them to a dealer as well or selling them at a local show. Ebay sounds like a nightmare lately, especially with raw coins. What do you think would be the best way to sell it?

If you know about how much you want, the best place to sell might be here in The Money Marketplace, at least consider giving it a try.

You already mentioned how to maximize return, but there is a time and hassle factor - how much work do you want to do?

erwindoc, I'm happy with the 1913-S T2 ANACS Buffalo Nickel XF40 I bought from you, not sure if the same one you mention- I'd get someone who can take nice photo's for you and sell here, or, on ebay with BIN option. Nice set- someone would be happy at the right price, and you did put exceptional effort into this set. I'd buy a few more but have most dates too already in the condition described.

EDIT TO ADD: I just now realized the OP is 5 months old, so hopefully you were able to get a fair price for the rest of your set if sold. The 1913-S T2 truly is solid for the grade! Quite pleased!

Consignment is an excellent choice but you will need patience. I have had good success this way and just forget you have them. Your call will come and you might get another 20 or 30 % return for your wait.

I built a buffalo nickel set in F-XF a few years ago. Im now considering selling it in order to afford upgrades in my collection. I got the better dates graded by our host and I bought one already certified(13S T2-ANACS XF40-very solid for the grade), but the rest are raw in a dansco album. I know I can sell them piece by piece, but that will be tons of work(and I suck taking photos) but may result in the best prices overall. Thought about consigning them to a dealer as well or selling them at a local show. Ebay sounds like a nightmare lately, especially with raw coins. What do you think would be the best way to sell it?

Just an opinion. F-EF is a very wide spread (in grade and value) for the set. Some in F are harder to find than in EF and the reverse is also true. VF outliers thrown in (and I am sure the collection has some....and some of those would be very tough calls) add up to a very daunting task. Add to this the various varieties in many of the dates with a rarity and availability that is harder to find than the F or EF classification and it just makes it more so. Only you can answer your original question, because there is not enough information for anyone else to make such a determination. I would be more inclined to keep it as a study set, and start building sub categories for each set....varieties, higher (or lower) technical grade, availability in grade, and weaning out the pieces that don't "fit" overall to the thematic. While I can understand some higher value pieces being let go in order to "upgrade" your collection (which I assume could be other types or maybe the baubles within the series you have already built), I would think that in general the monetary recovery that you could gain would be a loss overall to your upgrading goal. We all want to fund a collection via money not necessary for our important present and in most cases continuing food/clothing/housing etc. budget, I got in the habit of wimp saving, switching my coffee stop to a bottle of water from the tap at home, sandwich from home for lunch, etc., and once I got used to it....usually 3-4 weeks, the amount of free stuff money I had at the end of the month was very surprising.

You had to have put a lot of time and effort into building the set. I am in favor of not selling, and just continuing your fine efforts to date. But, if you have grown tired of the series and just want to move on, then I would pay a fee for selling it, and doing so piecemeal, because selling as a set would most likely be very disappointing. But, I would make darn sure of what I am selling before doing so. If you are not sure, for instance varieties/technical grade, etc., there are great collectors of the series and active internet collectors of the series that would be more than willing to assist, for the fun and education.

" I just now realized the OP is 5 months old..."

Well, at the age of 5-months, I'm amazed that the wee bairn could collect anything except possibly diaper rash. And, to write the post -- simply amazing!

;)

" I just now realized the OP is 5 months old..."

Well, at the age of 5-months, I'm amazed that the wee bairn could collect anything except possibly diaper rash. And, to write the post -- simply amazing!

;)

OP Original Poster, Original Post

http://www.smart-words.org/abbreviations/text.html

:grin: