• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skeptic about the Authenticity ! Fellow members I need help

6 posts in this topic

I am a newbie & I think I might have just made my first big mistake as a collector. Does this coin look authentic to you guys. Any & every opinion is more than welcome at this moment. Below are the images :-

f1dad5491851293.jpg c31538491851294.jpg

If it is a fake, it is a really good one. I don't see anything jump out at me as immediately pointing to being fake.

What are you seeing that makes you suspect it as fake?

I do, suspect, however, that it has probably been cleaned at some point. The obverse fields, especially, make it look like it has been treated. I would grade it EF details, and it is probably worth $250-$300.

And, welcome to the forums!

I am sorry, but that picture is too small to make any really good calls as to authenticity.

OOPS!

I clicked on the picture and found out it got bigger. :blush:

The coin appears to be genuine, but I think that it has been rubbed in the fields to remove dark tarnish. I can't see any hairlines, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. In most cases when a coin like this has not been certified, it is not in a holder because it can't get a straight grade.

Since you have stated that you are new collecting, I think that you would do well to consider certified coins if you are going to buy scarce stuff like a quarter from the Carson City Mint. It makes it easier to sleep at night knowing that it is extremely likely that the coin is genuine, and if it's not, there is a company like NGC that will pay for their mistake.

Sorry about responding late but thanks for the quick response you guys :-

Forest_City : I have a really unstable scale. Getting a stable reading on it is like finding a needle in a haystack. Although I did weigh the coin about 7-8 times. The value keeps fluctuating in between 6.19 - 6.33 grams. I also checked its magnetic property (the coin is not magnetic) & did a sound test (sounded fine to my inexperienced ears) after getting the idea on YouTube.

physics-fan3.14 : Thanks for the welcome & your opinion.

BillJones : I fell for the coin & bought it from an ebay auction. Everything was fine until I searched for the coins value online given its scarcity & good condition. I came across this page and completely lost my peace of mind. I felt like I cannot abuse these guys enough.

I came across this page and completely lost my peace of mind.

Yours has all the features of a genuine example whereas that AliExpress coin you linked to has a number of clear counterfeit indicators. I think you are safe.