• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Buffalo a mint error?

29 posts in this topic

The left hind leg on this nickel seems to be missing most of the ankle leaving only a

thin "Rod" connecting the hoof to the leg.

I've spent the past 2 days trying to find information on this to no avail. Any info would

be appreciated!

163146.jpg.8e8a7e2f0f6b2fe537005eaadea639f5.jpg

Not familiar with it as a die variety. Perhaps it is just a strike-through error, where a small blob of grease prevented the ankle from striking up?

That's the likely explanation.

There are a number of similar die state (missing partial leg) buffalo nickels. They are actively collected as 3 and 1/2 leg varieties.

Since this is a Great Southern picture, you should also know to avoid their auctions as they sell primarily cleaned coins with juiced pictures.

Save yourself the aggravation and shuffle away very quickly

mark

date of coin?

1916. The strike is good, looks MS65+ to me and doesn't appeared to be cleaned judging from the photos though only in hand can a grader tell!

This is why folks buy coins in problem designated holders for cheap, crack them out to raw, and sell them like they don't have problems because images don't reveal them. Folks will think they are 65+ when theyz not.

Run Forrest Run!

Carefully read their disclaimer:

"1916-D Buffalo Nickel, Gorgeous Gem BU++ Better Date, Tough This Nice, Free S/H!

Please Read Before You Bid

You are bidding on a RAW Coin.

We guarantee AUTHENTICITY ONLY!!!

We do not offer grades on raw coins, and we do not guarantee grades on raw coins. If you are looking for certified coins, we offer a wide selection of PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG certified coins."

But above, they grade it 'Gem BU++', that does imply a numeric grade of 64 or above, that is the catch to snare you...... Ask around about this vendor.

Too much risk in my opinion. They probably sell some really nice raw coins but there is no way to know from the images they use.

There are a number of similar die state (missing partial leg) buffalo nickels. They are actively collected as 3 and 1/2 leg varieties.

Since this is a Great Southern picture, you should also know to avoid their auctions as they sell primarily cleaned coins with juiced pictures.

I was aware of the 1936 D 3 and 1/2 leg variety and of course the most famous

of the Buffs, the almighty 3 legger. I'm also aware of GSC reputation on the forums.

After staring at "The Battle Tested Bison's Prosthetic Hoof" and the connecting copper

nickel "Rod" till I developed double vision, I decided it was worth a chance trying to

snag what could be notable rarity, cleaned or not.

If a MS65+ '36 D 3.5 'egger ever found, it could set auction records for a Buffalo.

EX rare!!

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/93978

If you can buy it for $50 or less you are doing ok. The coin is extremely well struck and would probably look nice in an album. The odds that this is a variety (assuming it is not already recognized) that is worth a premium are quite small.

But above, they grade it 'Gem BU++', that does imply a numeric grade of 64 or above,

It may imply it, but it doesn't guarantee it. So if it isn't a 64 or better "Too bad, but we didn't guarantee it would grade a 64." and you have no claim against them.

Their pictures look amazing but read their feedback. I admit i did get hooked on 4 of their commemorative raw half dollars and when they arrived they were all cleaned. They never mention cleaning in their description. Lesson learned.

Their pictures look amazing but read their feedback. I admit i did get hooked on 4 of their commemorative raw half dollars and when they arrived they were all cleaned. They never mention cleaning in their description. Lesson learned.

Did you initiate a return for a refund on your coins? They have a 30 day return policy.

Do a little research and see if your coin may be one of the several "missing partial leg" varieties that david3142 referred to in his post.

If your research doesn't find a variety that matches your partial left rear leg nickel, then as long as you are paying a price you are comfortable with, I think it is worth a shot to send in to a TPG to see if you have something or not.

Carl

Did you initiate a return for a refund on your coins? They have a 30 day return policy.

You bet i returned them as it was a waste of my time. Having a return policy is great but not disclosing the true condition and covering it up with great photography is a whole other issue in itself. Most of their negative feedback, and there are a lot of them, relates to cleaned coins and coins that were certified coming back details after buying them raw. They take some of the best photos i have seen and they sell a massive amount. One other obervation, they start their auctions for the most part at 99 cents, because pf their great pics many sell at the very top of more than book value.

You bet i returned them as it was a waste of my time. Having a return policy is great but not disclosing the true condition and covering it up with great photography is a whole other issue in itself. Most of their negative feedback, and there are a lot of them, relates to cleaned coins and coins that were certified coming back details after buying them raw. They take some of the best photos i have seen and they sell a massive amount. One other obervation, they start their auctions for the most part at 99 cents, because pf their great pics many sell at the very top of more than book value.

The disappointment in finding your material cleaned after anticipating a nice coin is a factor too. I have received the 1916 Buffalo of this thread and after examining it closely with a 5X magnifier, determined it's probably been "Over Dipped". There is no "Real" luster and when viewed at certain angles almost all details fade. Also, the hoof is attached more than the photo shows though it is a very weak "Connection".

Too bad for the strike is a solid MS65 or better and would be a $320+ coin if it straight graded, geez! I've since returned the Buff and seeing the green in transit showing in my eBay account. Appreciate all the helpful comments, thanks!

1) Dipping generally refers to removing tarnish from silver coins and is not done to nickels (unless you mean acetone which shouldn't affect the coin unless done improperly). 2) Overdipping will generally not prevent a straight grade although by impairing the luster it will often lower it. 3) you would not need magnification to determine overdipping anyway.

All in all, yes it was likely improperly cleaned. Fortunately your cost of education was quite low!

I've seen the difference proper dipping can make on Morgans. Can make an unattractive one stellar! And they straight grade too. I heard that dipping too many times actually removes metal and and "Softens" fine details and as you said lowers luster. I'm assuming the Buff was over dipped for I could not spot any evidence of "Whizzing" or abrasion lines due to improper cleaning. By the way, is there such a thing as proper cleaning!?

You are correct that the dip removes metal, but I have never heard of anyone dipping a clad nickel (although I'm sure someone has tried). Proper cleaning would be dipping or expert conservation. A soapy rinse or acetone would qualify as well.

I've heard silver dip works well on 90% silver coin if not over done. Castile soap with distilled water is the proper way for tap water will usually leave stains that will be permanent unless rewashed in distilled water shorty after. Have you ever noticed the stains on a stainless steel counter top after tap water evaporates? Yikes! And to think the same chemical residues will reside inside your body is good reason not to drink to much of it! Back to lifeless coins.......

I remember a solution that was available at EJ Korvette's in late 1960's, only 12 old years then, which would bring out dates on dateless Buffs. Great stuff for it would magically turn a 10 ct Buff into $1-$10 Buff. Fantastic $$ back then for a kid! Did some further research on this and this guy takes it to the next level. A real bonanza!

:idea:

http://buffaloreincarnations.com/about/restoration.php

Throw a couple dateless Buffalo's in a dish of vinegar for a couple of weeks and you get the same result. Nothing special but a coolish blue/green liquid after awhile and some revealing details and a damaged coin.... it's like a hangover in Aruba!

I received my refund for the 1916 Buffalo from GSC yesterday. The transaction was smooth and problem free with a cordial message of appreciation which is the best I've received out of the several refunds I've asked for in the past year from other sellers.

GS knows that if they accept returns in a pleasant manner, they retain a potential future customer.