• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Father's Day Newp.

6 posts in this topic

First Father's Day and a new coin.

Thought I'd share a post today about this new acquisition I got in the mail about a week ago. 2016 ¼ Oz Gold American Eagle, made around the same time my son was born +/- 3 months. I thought it'd be a fun way to mark the birth and hopefully he'll find it cool when he gets older. It's also the 30th anniversary year for the series. The first year of issue (1986) is the birth year for both my wife and myself. The coin came pretty much the day of my wife's 30th birthday.

One of these days, if I can swing the expense, I'd love to get 1920 and 1924 double eagles in around an MS63 grade for my grandparents' birth years, a 1986 1 oz gold AGE and a 1 oz gold AGE for the birthyear of each of my children. Right now I don't have anywhere near the cash to swing that but I'll content myself for now with the 1/4th ounce coins and a dream. To round things out I'd love to do something for my parents' birth years but I don't think anything interesting was going on with gold coinage in 1955 or 1956 in the US. We'll see. My step father's vision was birthyear mint sets for every member of the family. I like the idea of the large gold coins (and in some cases they're actually cheaper and a lot easier than trying to run down mint sets).

17503.jpg

See more journals by Revenant

Nice coin and Happy Father's Day.

I have kicked around the idea of birth year sets, too, and it is a noble idea.

I had a Washington quarter with my dad's birth year but it was in a third world holder, so I sold it and I have yet to replace it.

I currently have Walkers for both my mom's and her father's birth year.

I, too, like gold and my dad and I have always discussed buying a business strike Saint but we don't ever follow through.......too many irons in the fire for both of us I guess.

I love the idea of gold coins for birth year sets. I have a MS-63+ $10 for my mother's birth year (1932) and a $20 for my grandfather's set. My father's birth year is 1930 so a gold coin is probably not going to happen.

Happy first Father's Day!

I too am thinking of year sets for family members. But not being a fan of modern coinage, for the most part, I gave my younger son a birth year minus 100 set (1890, cent through silver dollar, P only, all MS64) for his college graduation. My older son was away from school for awhile but is now back at it. A similar set for him would be a bit tougher - 1885... I'm looking at something different for him.

My first coin was given to me by my paternal grandfather, who passed away when I was a baby. It is the 1907 2 1/2 dollar gold piece that, at MS65, nicely fills a hole in my gold type set.

Love and Enjoy your family!...

Alan

You ever thought about a 1929 Banknote from one of your folk's hometown? I actually found a $5 National from Gadsden, Alabama, birthplace of my mommy. She loved it! And it's a lot easier to see compared to a coin.