• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just looking for some input.

9 posts in this topic

After all, the whole reason for this is to show off ones collection.

Been here for a few years now. The few that know of me might remember some of my custom sets. But I made the mistake of selling everything and now I'm starting all over. I'm not really feeling the "competitive" side of it all anymore. So I started a new custom set.

I am about half way into it. But after looking at it, I find it a little cluttered. Which brings me to the reason for this letter.

I was wondering if some of you fellow collectors out there would have any input on what way would be most interesting way to do a custom set. Like I said, after all, we are all on here to proudly present our collections in the way that is most interesting.

Sooooooooo, right now I have one large set that includes all my bird coins. But I was wondering if it would be better to break it up into smaller sets, such as:

Birds from each country (i.e.)

Bird coins of New Zealand

Bird coins of Canada

And so on

-OR-

Sets of each species (i.e.)

Duck coins of the World

Kingfisher coins of the World

And so on

Every different idea has its pros and cons. But maybe one way would be more appealing than the others.

I get to look at my coins every day, so I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what would be cool when they look at them.

Sorry if this is just one giant run-on sentence.

See more journals by THE HONEY BADGER

It is YOUR custom set. There are no pros and cons.

The set you build is from inside your head and your coins --- not another's. That is what makes each custom set so special.

Good Luck with your choice and have fun with it! :)

Rick

I would look at how others do their sets for ideas. That's what I have done. When I see something I like I "customize" it to fit my sets. Start by looking at all the award winning sets from various years to get a good idea of the size and how others structure their sets. In the end I agree with Rick, its YOUR set and you are the only person who needs to be happy with it. Best wishes, and BTW I liked your bird set, I got one too but it needs a little tender loving care. My bird custom set is entitled, "For the Birds"

Gary

First, I would like to say thank you for your response Rick and Gary. I enjoy listening to other's opinions because, if you have an open mind, it is always helpful.

Second, I agree with Rick also, it is MY set. And it is mine to create. However, I'm not the most creative person you'll meet. So Gary, I think what you said about looking at others for ideas is, well, a good idea. Not to copy but to just help get mine moving.

And as soon as I read that you had a bird set too I was right there. The super star in there is your 1991 Bermuda $2 Heron. ME LIKEY!

How about:

flightless birds

raptors

sea birds

song birds

extinct birds

ornate display birds

Some of those allow you to reach back in history for circulation issues such as "Ornate Display Birds" -- Peacoc-k, Bird of Paradise, Quetzal. "Extinct Birds" might include the Argentina 1 Centavo Rhea as well as Dodo, Passenger Pigeon, etc....lots to work with.

Have fun!

Hello Davis of Wales,

I agree with what everyone said so far. It's your set and it can be anything you want it to be. But your subject is near and dear to my heart, so I thought I'd share what I do in this arena. I love dinosaurs and dinosaurs are a common theme on my coins. Bird coins are a huge part of this as the scientific consensus is that birds are actually modern maniraptoran theropod dinosaurs! How cool is that? So I have many bird coins as part of my dinosaur collection. There are more dinosaur coins with birds on them than there are that feature extinct dinosaurs. However, most of my dinosaur coins are not posted here as I've found myself going back to albums and doing things old-school. I tried the Registry on twice, and it's really not for me. I just love the classic look of a completed Dansco and I keep coming back to that method of collecting.......just my thoughts on that and on the topic being discussed.

Hello Mohawk,

Thank you for taking time to share that.

I find myself enjoying just looking at birds (or bird coins), and not enough time getting to know them. It sounds like you know your stuff with regards to dinosaurs. Some day I would like to be that knowledgeable about birds.

I also would love to find time to be so informative as you are with your sets/coins. But baby steps is my plan. At least I have figured out how I want to setup my custom set. Now on to step number 2 of 1000. :)