• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Gold Coin

9 posts in this topic

and the survey says?

Howdy Friends,

Just added the 2016 W 1/10 oz. Gold 100th Anniversary Mercury Dime to my collection. Beautifully struck coin especially the reverse which exhibits very crisp detail.

Apparently the next two releases for this set will be the gold Standing Liberty Quarter and the Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Sadly they will be out of my price range but I'm very pleased to add this little gem to my hoard as my first gold coin.

Also would like to pass on a thank you to our Veteran's, past and present and on this Memorial Day, if you love your freedom, thank a Vet!

All the best,

Larry

17455.jpg

See more journals by Merlin8*

Larry, I'm glad you like your new coin.

And, while I don't know what you're comparing it to, at least relative to the original design of the Mercury dime, it's far from "beautifully struck " or with "very crisp detail". None of the gold ones are, based on the dozens I've seen and reports I've read.

Congratulations on your first gold coin! Maybe you'll eventually add the Standing Liberty and Walking Liberty designs also.

I have to agree with Mark. The 100th anniversary gold coins are a great idea, but none of the SP70's I have seen so far would rate a "FB" designation. I hope the mint does better with the next two.

Congrats on getting one. I tried for an hour and could not place an order or get through on the phone--after about an hour I then started getting the "sold out" notice.

Really ticks me off when you can see dozens of ebay sellers with several dozen in inventories- and at jacked up multiples of their mint sales prices. This is not clever business, this is greed. They circumvent the spirit and intent of the mint to limit 10 per person/seller/business--and then blatantly gouge the collectors ( many who just want a single example of this classic design.)

Also of note--the mint reported when asked why they were not FSB on the reverse fasces, essentially saying, because of their new, superior minting and hub/die creation, that the hand tooling for details like FSB is not possible....to paraphrase, because of their new, superior process they must settle for an inferior coin????????

I did not intend anything negative about your coin; it is one of the four or five most beautiful designs in the history of the US Mint, and your example is flawless as the Mint is currently producing them. I just wish the Mint had engraved the dies with the same level of artistic detail as the original series, and hope they do better with the Standing Liberty and Walking Liberty designs later this year.

Congrats on your purchase. It looks very nice against the black background in the photo. It surely will go nice with your collection.

Good Job! The first gold acquisition is always the best and you have selected a beautiful example. There is something about gold that has memorized kings and peasants alike. As a peasant I look at a gold coin and think of all of the mass gold melts that have occurred over the years in the US and if, just what if a portion of the coins gold was once something extraordinary (a Stella, a Brasher doubloon)

Enjoy, that is the most important thing to not lose sight of. Numismatics is something to enjoy at whatever level you participate.

162685.jpg.f037598e5954841a06cdd65b981b5650.jpg