• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this 1920 D Buffalo nickel...if you dare!

29 posts in this topic

I was quite surprised to see a 1920 D of this quality up for auction or anywhere else

for that matter! The strike is excellent IMO and I would dare say worthy of a MS65

designation. Whether it has been cleaned or not, I can't tell from the photos.

Assuming it hasn't been "Tinkered" with, this nickel if graded MS64 would have

a value of approximately $2,000. The same in MS sold for an astounding $97,750

on Heritage! As I'm typing this, the Buffalo sold for $856.00, 40% below the market

value of a 1920 D MS64 BN. One lucky buyer I would say!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-D-Buffalo-Nickel-Super-Scarce-Near-Gem-BU-Key-Date-Free-Shipping-/371627140705?rmvSB=true&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=E%252FOA4%252FbdgPuREMNvItSO2x1zcnQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

162457.jpg.043aab25589b3c2ad501f1b23da26deb.jpg

Given the seller, I'd guess AU-details cleaned.

Great Southern Coin has a bad habit of taking photos in light that hides a lot of problems. I would NEVER buy a raw coin from them.

Great Southern Coin has a bad habit of taking photos in light that hides a lot of problems. I would NEVER buy a raw coin from them.

Wow, AU details!? I've looked at a lot of graded m64--m66's today on Heritage, eBay

and Great Collections. I even magnified this Buff by 3X and examined it carefully on

my PC screen. The AU's I've looked at so far are "Flat" by comparison. Am I

missing something?

I was quite surprised to see a 1920 D of this quality up for auction or anywhere else

for that matter! The strike is excellent IMO and I would dare say worthy of a MS65

designation. Whether it has been cleaned or not, I can't tell from the photos.

Assuming it hasn't been "Tinkered" with, this nickel if graded MS65 would have

a value of approximately $6,000. The same in MS sold for an astounding $97,750

on Heritage! As I'm typing this, the Buffalo sold for $856.00, 40% below the market

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-D-Buffalo-Nickel-Super-Scarce-Near-Gem-BU-Key-Date-Free-Shipping-/371627140705?rmvSB=true&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=E%252FOA4%252FbdgPuREMNvItSO2x1zcnQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think its time to read some books. And then its time to buy some of these coins you think are amazing. And then submitting them yourself to see if you learned anything from the books.

Good observation. There are irregularities on the rim on both sides. I'm clueless

as to what could cause this, almost looks like a minor dye error. I can't imagine a

coin being bent without some blatantly obvious marks and damage, like melted

metal!

162458.jpg.bcccb1a43f514013ffebea1d1032157f.jpg

Found this m64 on eBay yesterday, what are the chances of that!!? The photos

aren't top notch...but good enough to get an idea what an "Average" m64 looks

like, should suffice for comparisons sake. Went back to Heritage and there was

so much variation on strike, toning and luster from coin to coin, I'm baffled as to

what "Average" might be. I also noticed many of the Buff's are in the OGH, a

testament these coins in high grade are rare indeed. The AU's...even au58

couldn't hold a candle to the GSC Buff of this topic as far as details go.

162459.jpg.cc99549dc438b8075394bfe041c3b480.jpg

As I'm typing this, the Buffalo sold for $856.00, 40% below the market

Lucky isn't the word I would use, and things aren't always as they appear in images. When there are coins that sell for that type of money that are raw, the first question you should ask yourself is: Why is this raw? I'm not saying you cannot find good deals on raw coins, but you must know what you are doing.

Certain sellers (I won't name names) have reputations for taking grossly misleading photos that make coins appear to be of a much higher grade or value than is consistent with prevailing market standards.

Good observation. There are irregularities on the rim on both sides. I'm clueless

as to what could cause this,

How old are you if my ask?

Clueless about post mint damage is one of the reasons I recommended the above reading before buying suggestion.

You can start by finding more info on this seller ATS.

I had a buyer thrilled to buy this Indian cent thinking he was getting a deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1908-1C-Indian-Cent-ICG-GRADED-/331843297435?rd=1 I thought the listing was clear, indicating it was a problem coin, now he wants to return the $30 coin.

A key date Morgan by another seller was graded VF details cleaned by NGC, an 1893-s $1 Obviously PCGS saw it differently, by straight grading it XF40.

Graders see enough of problem coins that they don't make too many mistakes which is what the finalizers and quality control people work to catch, and sometimes they err on the side of caution.

There is nothing in the auction images that screams out 'problem coin' but there are enough subtle hints that there might be some significant collector problems once this coin is seen in-hand.

The rims are a bit mushy in places and the tops of the letters in LIBERTY might be hiding a problem.

If this particular coin graded out at MS-62, the buyer broke even.

Note: The images are Gem-BU which equates to MS-65 but will the actual coin on the grading floor match the proposed grade?

Wow, AU details!? I've looked at a lot of graded m64--m66's today on Heritage, eBay

and Great Collections. I even magnified this Buff by 3X and examined it carefully on

missing something?

Let me repeat, for emphasis: I would NEVER buy a raw coin from GreatSouthernCoins based on their photos. I mean never, ever, ever...

"This key date Morgan by another seller was graded VF details cleaned by NGC:"

As usual, Bob "Reemed" the customer good and "Well Toned". lol!

Looks like a "Mourge Anne" to me, heh.

:bump::roflmao:

as to what could cause this, almost looks like a minor dye error. I can't imagine a

coin being bent without some blatantly obvious marks and damage, like melted

metal!

The reverse tells me clearly the coin is AU or lower. See the "plateau" high on the Buffalo's rear? That's the first sign of wear....

jom

As intimated by several previous posters, there has to be a compelling reason this coin is being sold raw. The seller is a very experienced numismatist, also handling slabbed coins, and he knows very well this would be enormously more valuable if it were being sold inside a graded holder as without major problems. When a coin with this level of price tag is being offered raw, that is highly suspicious from almost any seller, but most especially so in this situation.

missing something?

Let me repeat, for emphasis: I would NEVER buy a raw coin from GreatSouthernCoins based on their photos. I mean never, ever, ever...

+1, wait +100

missing something?

+1, wait +100

It might not even be a Buffalo nickel

mark

In GSC's defense, I made $50 on the only coin I ever bought from them. It was an AU Barber quarter listed as MS that sold for VF money.

"I think its time to read some books. And then its time to buy some of these coins you think are amazing. And then submitting them yourself to see if you learned anything from the books."

These are coins that I think are "Amazing". Many more where they came from.

http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=archive

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9347137

"I think its time to read some books. And then its time to buy some of these coins you think are amazing. And then submitting them yourself to see if you learned anything from the books."

These are coins that I think are "Amazing". Many more where they came from.

http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=archive

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9347137

and none of them are raw and being sold by shady sellers like the coin in this thread.

That being said, youd probably be just as buried by buying a CRO coin, as nice as they are. And before I get jumped on by the defense team, I do not mean to say CRO doesn't have coins worth a premium, but realisticly a collector wont get for any coin what a dealer like CRO can ask.

I never bought from Great Southern Coins but somehow I do get their "shameless plugs" through email when auctions are ending. I'm sure they have quite a network...

They sell graded coins on their site for slightly below average asking prices on eBay

and their slabbed coins at auction often sell at below FMV (Fair Market Value).

I get their plugs too and quickly try to determine the priciest coins in sequential order.

I'm improved quite a bit from a year ago as to "Cherry Picking" the auction results.

Try and guess the low ball coins too! :)

First of all............the coin in question has a better than average strike for the Mint and year it was made.

Given the above statement, it should be considered, BUT......there are problems.

It is very difficult to grade coins not in hand, and they really can be made to look better with the proper lighting and bling that goes along with them when they are being sold.

My observation of the reverse shows that it is a high grade coin..........there is mint luster.   Is it MS?

In my opinion..........No.

From what I see, the reverse is from a later die state.  That can be seen by the peripheral flow lines around the outside near the rim.

The Buffs tale is also flat at the point where it is closest to the rim.

There APPEARS to be rub on the highest point of the hip above the tail.

It is a very beautiful coin for that date and mint.  Most are way, way deficient in both strike and look.

My opinion is the coin is AU-53.

This might come back to bite me, but remember...........it's an opinion.

I really like the coin.

Pete

On 5/21/2016 at 0:44 AM, brg5658 said:

Never?  I have purchased four proof buffaloes from them which were sold as uncirculated