• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RMW Collection of England and Great Britain- Coronation and Commemorative Medals

9 posts in this topic

Check out this new custom set

I started to put together a set of at least one coronation or commemorative medal per British Monarch starting with a Charles I death medal (1649) in bronze which is spectacular. there are four more pieces on their way to NGC shortly to be graded. Ive chosen the James I Coronation Medal in silver for the picture here.

17447.jpg

See more journals by rmw

Why does it say James II ?

[At first glance w/o my glasses, I thought the crown was being put on a roast pig with garnish....]

I like that. they were having a BBQ that day.

Actually the reverse is very heavy with symbolism in that it represents the now thoroughly discredited idea that the crown and the power to rule by the monarch was given by heaven alone. It is heaven here offering the crown on this medal.An idea which represented the king's (not the people's) divine right to rule. this propaganda goes WAYYYY back in time.

The wars in England in the 17th century revolved around this as an idea, among other things.

James II ended up getting thrown out as king in 1688 in the Glorious Revolution and no monarch again ever aspired to absolute power, although many had great influence.

It was this idea that the American Founding Fathers resolved to never allow in the framing of the Constitution by creating different branches of government with its checks and balances, which of course has created its own problems down to the present day. But, you might argue, better that than a James II (his name is shown in Latin on the obverse, Iacobus).

"Ive chosen the James I Coronation Medal in silver for the picture here."

Why does it say James II on the medal ?

Ahhh...the Royal BBQer at work!

OK. You had me confused -- or maybe it was the same lack of glasses that led to the BBQ pig?

BTW - quite a nice medal. The realistic portraits of this era are refreshing.

They had world class engravers for the period to do such fine work. This one I think is by John Roettier but don't quote me on that.

Now... where did I put the sauerkraut?