• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Libertads, better than last year?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am posting this thread to see what others might think about the fineness in the details of the 2016 struck Mexican libertads. I have two in MS70 that are more crisply struck then any of my previous 70 graded libertads. The volcanoes are better defined, the features of the Winged Victoria are more defined. Is this a coincidence of just receiving two nice pieces or did they get new dies perhaps?

Curious if anyone else has noticed.

Thoughts are welcome.

Below are some examples of a 2014 Libertad zooming in on Winged Victoria, Iztaccihuatl. and Popocatepetl. The pictures are not professional, as I do not claim to be a professional, but I feel they speak to my point that there is an obvious changed between this year and previous years. Perhaps I am curious if anyone knows the minting habits of the Casa De Moneda today. Do they change dies infrequently?

162341.jpg.80ca1369e3a2f3388cf85b683bdb8cf8.jpg

162342.jpg.72aae6eea8c6485451b73342c5a2c2c8.jpg

162343.jpg.10d487300eb2196108ad8bb788fa139d.jpg

162344.jpg.a6302fe179661f5fd3dd6bec81c7d49d.jpg

It does not look like additional detail was added to the die in 2016 versus 2016. My guess is the the 2016 coins were struck from an earlier die state than your 2014's. There are a couple of people on this board that are what I would consider experts, that could give accurate reasons why the difference. If no one picks up on this you may want to PM "Dcarr" or RWB

I don't think anything was added either but there is in my opinion an obvious change in the struck features when compared not only to the 2014 pictured but all my previous years as well. Not a huge deal, and the pictures don't do any justice for my argument. But in hand one can see a difference without much of a trained eye. Thanks for your feedback.

Differences in fine details between the two illustrations suggest: use of a new master die. If a new master, then it's likely the improvements will be visible in later years. I suspect the latter. Also there appears to be some manual engraving on Victory's breast and the face/head angle differs between the two coins shown.

I do not know what process the Mexican Mint uses to make hubs, master dies and working dies, but that alone will have a substantial impact of the quality of reproduction.

Also there appears to be some manual engraving on Victory's breast and the face/head angle differs between the two coins shown.

When you say the angles differ is that in reference to the angle of my photos or Victory herself? The angles of the photos are in fact different, I am a novice with this digital microscope, but I thought after taking them that Victory's head has changed but haven't studied the coins, since taking the photos, to make comparisons. Thankyou for you feedback.